Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default Students asked to 'ARGUE THAT JEWS ARE EVIL' and PROVE NAZI LOYALTY in assignment

Students in some Albany High School English classes were asked to participate in the unthinkable this week as part of a persuasive writing assignment. The objective? Prove why Jews are evil and convince the teacher of their loyalty to the Third Reich in five paragraphs or less. 

“You must argue that Jews are evil, and use solid rationale from government propaganda to convince me of your loyalty to the Third Reich!” read the description on the assignment, which the school superintendent said reflects the kind of sophisticated writing expected of students under the new Common Core standards and was meant to hone students’ persuasive argument abilities.

The TimesUnion http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...#photo-4458888 reports that students were asked to digest Nazi propaganda material, then imagine that their teacher was an SS officer who needed to be persuaded of their loyalty by arguing that Jews are the root of all the world’s ills.

“I would apologize to our families,” Albany Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard said. “I don’t believe there was malice or intent to cause any insensitivities to our families of Jewish faith.”

The TimesUnion explains more of the reasoning behind the offensive assignment:

Vanden Wyngaard said the exercise reflects the type of writing expected of students under the new Common Core curriculum, the tough new academic standards that require more sophisticated writing. Such assignments attempt to connect English with history and social studies.

She said she understood the academic intent of the assignment — to make an argument based only on limited information at hand. Still, she acknowledged that it was worded in a very offensive manner. She did not identify the English teacher or discuss whether the educator faced any discipline.

Students were asked to draw on elements of the great philosopher Aristotle, and frame their arguments as either: “Logos” (persuasion by reasoning), “Pathos” (persuasion by emotional appeal) or “Ethos” (persuasion by the author’s character). 

Nonetheless, a reported one-third of the Albany students refused to complete the assignment.

Whether school faculty chose this particular subject matter for the writing assignment, or if the subject matter came directly from Common Core remains unclear (it could have been the justification and not a direct lesson), but the amount of controversial lessons administered under curriculum system is indeed mounting.

Update:

Teacher has been placed on leave

According to the Times Union http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...ve-4431448.php , which broke the story, the teacher was not in class Friday and has been placed on leave.

District Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard held a news conference apologizing for the assignment, but said it was too early to determine what punishment the teacher will receive.

It could apparently range from a letter of reprimand to termination.

“You asked a child to support the notion that the Holocaust was justified, that’s my struggle,” she said. “It’s an illogical leap for a student to make.”

The school district has not named the teacher, who has been described as a veteran who likes to “challenge” students.  Monday’s assignment was brought to administrators’ attention by a horrified parent, before making national news.  Some of the children reportedly refused to write the essay, but others were concerned it would irreparably affect their grade.

“I was putting it off because I didn’t want to think about it and I didn’t want to say anything bad about Jewish people,” 16-year-old Emily Karandy remarked. “We thought it would make more sense if we were Jews arguing against Nazis.”

She said she felt “horrible” when she turned it in.

New York City Councilman David Greenfield was one of many to call for the unnamed teacher’s resignation, concluding: “The teacher responsible for coming up with and assigning students with this task must be held accountable for attempting to indoctrinate children with anti-Semitic beliefs…Quite obviously, this teacher lacks the judgment and common sense necessary to have a position of such great responsibility and is clearly not fit to return to the classroom.”
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 7,891 Times in 4,615 Posts

Premium Member

How come it's never the OTHER way around? How about an assignment about why Jews hate Nazis and terrorist muslims? Or an assignment asking to defend patriotism of one's own country? I don't give a shit about our kids trying to see "both sides of the issue" when it comes to villiany.

PS- I know America has done some shitty things in the past but let's not get carried away and equate our country with genocide and terror.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

A high school english class probably isn't the correct place for this type of assignment.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    A high school english class probably isn't the correct place for this type of assignment.
    I agree.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

My response, "go fuck yourself, there is no defending the Holocaust, and I am not going to waste a single second of the precious time that has been given me on God's green earth to have a fictitious argument about how wonderful the SS, Nazi Party and Final Solution are."

And in case I wasn't clear, I would then tell the teacher to fuck off.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Is there ever a correct place to say Jews are evil?:what:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Is there ever a correct place to say Jews are evil?:what:

Understanding the reasons behind the rise of nazi germany should be required reading in any world history course. An assignment like this handed to mature students would be a good one I think. It would force students to understand why people had that belief in many parts of europe during that time. Doing it in a high school english class is a bad idea.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Understanding the reasons behind the rise of nazi germany should be required reading in any world history course. An assignment like this handed to mature students would be a good one I think. It would force students to understand why people had that belief in many parts of europe during that time. Doing it in a high school english class is a bad idea.
    Understanding yes but "proving" loyalty to the Nazi party in a written assignment? No way, not even for mature students

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I don't know man, just thinking about the Holocaust makes me incredibly angry.

To me, and I will fully admit I may be WAY off, there are certain subjects that just don't need to be discussed in a classroom.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

To me, and I will fully admit I may be WAY off, there are certain subjects that just don't need to be discussed in a classroom.
    This, at least for me, is a disturbing statement. Hiding world history from any student, as atrocious as it can sometimes be, just doesn't sit well with me.

I agree though that an English class wasn't the proper place. That's called HISTORY class.

But again as with the protesting against a class assignment to create a muslim nation flag, there is outcry to teach our kids to fear, hate, or ignore rather than to understand.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 04.14.13 at 08:30 AM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I would like to take this guy for a short walk in the woods.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't know man, just thinking about the Holocaust makes me incredibly angry.

Scary statement.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I would like to take this guy for a short walk in the woods.
    You'd like to take a teacher into a secluded location for the purpose of harming him where no one will witness.

Just checking.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    You'd like to take a teacher into a secluded location for the purpose of harming him where no one will witness.

Just checking.
    Its the thought that counts my friend.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Its the thought that counts my friend.
    Oh, I totally understand that. I just think your ire is slightly misdirected.
    I think your rage, like my own, should directed at these fuckers instead.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]