Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default AWESOME NEW DAVE INTERVIEW

Edited by Brett...I guess the author was not happy the whole thing was put on here...for whatever reason. So you'll have to click the link for the whole article. Don't post the whole thing on here please.

David Lee Roth Will Not Go Quietly

The once and future Van Halen frontman has parlayed the sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll of his youth into a wild middle age, and he wants to teach us all about it. Drinking, smoking, and swinging swords on a Saturday night at home with the last true rock star. posted on April 12, 2013 at 12:42pm EDT

There are many things to admire about David Lee Roth's home. There's the lushly landscaped property, three football fields' worth by his estimation, hidden behind a 9-foot ivy-covered wall on an otherwise undistinguished suburban Pasadena block. There's the house itself, which he's had for 25 years, a sprawling 1920s Spanish-style mansion with 13 rooms in the basement alone. There's the tennis court in back, filled with a foot and a half of sand to accommodate beach barbecues — he doesn't play tennis. But Roth's favorite thing about his home might be the floors. They are important.
    "Feel this?" He stamps his foot a few times. "That transfer of shock? The floor has to have some give to it. It's why you don't do ballet on concrete." The effect is much like the inch-thick wooden plank, maybe 15 feet by 15 feet, that comprises the center of Van Halen's stage, where he plies a very specific trade. Acrobatic high-kicks and shimmies. Martial-arts maneuvers and sashays. "I have moves onstage it took me two years to learn."

There is nothing actually on most of the floors in the house. The living room is bare, save for a few framed photos from the cover shoot of the first Van Halen album hanging crooked in one corner. ("I'm not much of a furniture collector, and I'm not much of an interior decorator.") A ceiling-high built-in china cabinet is empty. Half a bottle of Jamaican rum rests on the mantle, and on the far wall is a rack of Japanese katana swords.

"The real deal," he says, unsheathing one. "Razor sharp. The first time I held one of these swords, I was maybe 9 years old." He demonstrates a few moves, alternately fluid and severe. "Everything has to be internalized or you'll look stiff. Once you can do it physically, it becomes your personality." He's decked out in the now standard offstage getup of mustard-colored overalls he started wearing three years ago while building stage props around the house — a samurai Mario brother.

"I just had my sword teacher here from Tokyo," he says, rat-a-tat, as he says nearly everything. "Buddhist monk, about my age. He loves two things about Southern California: the chopped liver from the Jewish delicatessen and these floors. Mojo Dojo. You ever hold one of these?" I have not.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE AT LINK BELOW.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevekandell...not-go-quietly
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Continued

Edited out by Brett.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

Man, DLR is on a roll with his interviews lately. That was great. Thanks for posting.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Continued

Edited out by Brett.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Final (whew!)

Edited out by Brett.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 04.12.13 at 04:02 PM.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts

Premium Member

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

That was an excellent read. A great profile on the "rock star" David Lee Roth. Dave has undoubtedly lived an interesting life.

However...
    Sitting in the upstairs office, Roth fishes a Marlboro Light out of a pack and tosses it back onto a small wooden school desk—they're good for what he calls his "rusty pipe" of a voice.
    I disagree. I don't think anyone who trades on their voice for singing should be smoking cigarettes in their 50s and towards their 60s.

That said—before someone accuses me of being a Dave hater—I'll be in the first 10 rows the next time Van Halen is in the Chicago area.

And he's not afraid of the contentiousness of the internet, built to destroy, or at least to embarrass—very different from the unconditional adoration from a hockey arena full of paying fans shouting along to "Panama" in unison. A few years ago, someone posted an isolated vocal track of Roth singing "Dance the Night Away" in the studio, maybe not quite pitch-perfect. "People like to feel superior to someone who's famous," he says with a shrug. "If that had happened in the '80s and was sent out to radio, that would have been a problem. But taken in the main, one lousy vocal take on the internet next to hundreds of non-lousy ones, that just describes a human being. One of the most basic definitions of art is something that compels commentary."

Even if that commentary is cruel and unbecoming and coming from entitled peanut gallerists who haven't done a fraction of what he's done in his life? "Sure," he says. "I enjoy the entitlement."
    Last edited by Fontcow; 04.12.13 at 05:37 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Wow! Great interview!
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

"Diamond Dave is somewhere between Spider-Man and Spanky from Our Gang,"

Eat Us and Smile!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

One of the best Dave interviews I've ever read.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Great interview, but I agree that Dave should cut the smoking. The blower schtick is even more laughable knowing he still smokes...but I figured. I would bet that he cuts down during touring, and it sounded like he quit in 2007 because he sounded so good.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Not only to save his voice.
    He needs to stop smoking to save his life.
    My uncle got oral cancer had his tongue and part of his throat taken out. It's no joke.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Delete
    Last edited by MF5150; 04.12.13 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Heineken and Tequila.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Dave is certainly doing one hell of a job with the interviews. This might be his best ever. Thank you bklynboy for posting it.

Dave is impressing the hell outta me right now. He's always been a master of conversation but hearing him actually answer questions straight up is such a treat.

Well done Dave.

Oh and yes I've been drinkin.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

This part should have ppl talking, where Roth clearly states he had "no choice" regarding MA's replacement:

Roth had never met Van Halen's current bassist Wolfgang, Eddie's 22-year-old son, until they were bandmates; they have yet to so much as step out for a coffee together, which is understandable given that he grew up knowing Roth only as that guy Daddy fucking hates. Roth fully admits that Wolfgang's involvement was never negotiable and that he hasn't spoken to original bassist and odd man out Michael Anthony in "years." "I had no choice, it was Edward's decision, but luckily for all of us, the kid is very good," he says. "If there were a lacking in the program, I wouldn't participate; I have very high standards of musical excellence. But I do feel a little like Sammy Davis Jr. in the Rat Pack."
    Little Dreamer