Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default Brass block (floyd)

    just threw a 37mm brass block in my EVH Stealth Special. Wow what a difference for sure. Only thing I noticed is that I cant dive bomb quite as low as I used to due to the more limited space in the cavity because of the larger block. But its ok as its enough for what I want to do. Got it set up and intonated and wow it sounds nice. When I took off the saddles and parts to replace the block the little plate with the fingers the screws ride on.... one of the fingers broke off the EVH plate. Very surprised the EVH plate finger broke.... guess Ed is not paying attention enough to quality control of his specials... ha ha... no biggie, I had tons of extra floyd parts and put a new plate on so I was good to go.
    thanks goes to Adam Reiver at floyd upgrades.... great guy with lots of knowledge and good product.

    here she is,

    Rob

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps288819ae.jpg

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psd7b17e77.jpg

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! Dutchie5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    2,921
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    1,938
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The brass blocks are definitely worth the up grade. I've got them on a few of my guitars although, I dont have one on my EVH EBMM. I've been thinking about putting one on that, too...

    How you digging the 5150 lll mini, Rob?
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

    "People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

    "I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

    "For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

    "A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

    "I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

  3. #3
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    you know I have thought about putting one on my EBMM EVH too but I noticed that the block on it (gotoh MM floyd) has a brass looking block already. Not a big block but it almost looks like a brass one so I have held off. Probably do it anyways though as this 37mm L block I just put in my stealth special sounds great. Do you guys that put them in notice you have less to dive with your bars too or is that just because the specials seem to have a narrower cavity? Like I said its not bad and I can still dive but I just cant do those (limp string) dives like I used to due to the limited space of the cavity.
    oh yeah Dutchie..... on the amp I am still waiting for the head. Brad from King guitar said the 50W heads are still on backorder. I have the 2X12 cab but still waiting on the head. Hopefully soon because the wait is killing me.

    Rob

  4. #4
    Sinner's Swing! Dutchie5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    2,921
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    1,938
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I put Brass Blocks on my Franky & 5150 builds. I only had the normal floyd block on the Franky for a week until the Brass one arrived. I didn't notice any dive bombing difference at all. The 5150 has always had one on since I put it together, but I have no restrictions with that either. Obviously, these aren't factory guitars, so I dont know if that makes a difference. On my VH1 guitar, I've got a slightly larger block on the Fender trem I have on it and I can only go down so far with it. It doesnt bother me to much because if I want to do some big dive bombing, I'd use a floyd guitar anyway.

    Man, that is cruel only having the speakers & no head.... You're gonna love this amp when it arrives, Rob. Your neighbors wont though...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

    "People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

    "I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

    "For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

    "A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

    "I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

  5. #5
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    Ha ha yeah I can't wait to check her out. Looking at the cab for the last 2 weeks has been killing me. I'm gonna call brad beginning of the week and see if any news on the back order situation has improved.
    Rob

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,353
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    1,679
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    you know I have thought about putting one on my EBMM EVH too but I noticed that the block on it (gotoh MM floyd) has a brass looking block already. Not a big block but it almost looks like a brass one so I have held off. Probably do it anyways though as this 37mm L block I just put in my stealth special sounds great. Do you guys that put them in notice you have less to dive with your bars too or is that just because the specials seem to have a narrower cavity? Like I said its not bad and I can still dive but I just cant do those (limp string) dives like I used to due to the limited space of the cavity.
    oh yeah Dutchie..... on the amp I am still waiting for the head. Brad from King guitar said the 50W heads are still on backorder. I have the 2X12 cab but still waiting on the head. Hopefully soon because the wait is killing me.

    Rob
    Cool upgrade Rob! As far as the bigger blocks go, it's a pretty universal problem. We just put a brass big block on my buddy's Dean. We've been doing a few upgrades on the guitar here and there, and he noticed right away that he couldn't get the strings totally limp on dives, but really, the sound improvement negates that. It's much fuller with way more sustain.

    On another note on the whole big block thing, I put in a tungsten big block made for a classic Strat bridge in my reissue 1968 Strat. That thing is incredible! Far better than the skinny zinc turd that it came with. It still has the Strat bite, but way more sustain. The neck pickup seems to sound bluesier too. Great upgrade. I did have a little issue with the stock arm alignment, but I enlarged the trem plate by a 1/32", and it's fine.

    It's amazing how much the block affects the tone of a guitar.

  7. #7
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    I just took my dremell tool to the rear of the cavity area and routed out a small portion and now I am able to dive as low as I used to..... all back to normal now and add to that the sustain improvement.

    what a difference. I am so happy I just bought one for my EBMM EVH too.

    Rob

  8. #8
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    I thought Edward would have had a brass big block in his EBMM main amber guitar but I was sifting through some player and young guitar mags last night and saw some close ups of the rear cavity of his main EBMM guitars and his PVs through the years (93 to 95) and funny thing is, they were all the standard blocks and not the big blocks. Noticed pics of Franky and 5150 and they both had brass blocks in them but not the EBMM. Thought that was interesting that he did not throw one in. Maybe he did but I just dont have any pics of it.

    I cant wait to see how my MM sounds with the block. What a difference in the stealth though....

    Rob

  9. #9
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    well just installed the block on my amber EBMM last night and damn..... this thing smokes even more now than before. The ring of the sustain is just insane now and the tone seems to be a little more muddy for some reason (not really sure) but I backed off the gain a little and boy I love it. What a good upgrade for sure. I am gonna contact Adam from floyd upgrades and grab one for my Kramer 5150 too. After all these years never really paid much attention to the blocks (knew about them and what they did but never really made the move / had one on my Kramer ad Frank for years but never played it much) but after the Stealth and the EBMM I am sold.

    Rob

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,296
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,319
    Liked 6,342 Times in 3,187 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I was skeptical about these as well as concerned about messing up the tone of my #1 axe(1986 Kramer pacer imperial) and wow I am just blown away. These things do work. The sustain is just amazing. After hearing the difference I put one on my #2(1986 Kramer focus 3000) and its the same.

    If you don't have one get one. It's worth it.

  11. #11
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,749
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    the tone seems to be a little more muddy for some reason (not really sure) Rob
    I believe I know why you are more muddy. Brass is a great material, since it resonates quite well. Adding a brass sustain block improves tone because of this. Vibrations from the string are transferred into the sustain block, where the frequencies of the vibrations are either enhanced, or muted depending on the material. The sustain block will vibrate at specific frequencies, and transfer these frequencies back to the strings, effecting the way that they vibrate. This variation of vibration is seen by the pickup, and transferred to the amplifier to produce what we hear as improved tone.

    Another part of the equation is the sustain. Just having a regular sized brass block will have the effect of improving sustain, because the resonation of the block and the resonation of the strings will teeter-totter off of one another, making strings ring out longer. Adding mass to the sustain block will offer more sustain, but will change the properties of which sympathetic frequencies will be enhanced. A larger block would have the effect of enhancing more of the low end frequencies, causing a more pronounced response on the bass end.

    While the big block improves sustain because of mass alone, I'm not sold on them. There's more to getting the best tone possible than just shoving the largest piece of brass as possible under your Floyd. The sustain block should be "tuned" to a very specific size, based on the frequencies you want to enhance. Sympathetic frequencies will ring out at even divisors of their wavelengths. If the size or the thickness of the sustain block is off slightly, it could cause conflicting frequencies that produce unpleasant results. It's sort of like when you're tuning two strings that are slightly off, and it produces that unpleasant buffeting sound. That is actually frequencies cancelling each other out because they are overlapping each others sine waves at 180 degrees.

    Put another way, a trumpet made of brass is relatively thin. It's thickness lends itself to great resonance and sustain of notes. If you were to employ the same logic to a trumpet, one would think that the thicker you made it, the better it would sound, but the opposite would be true. If you made a trumpet out of thick brass, it would sound like crap.

    I guess my point is, there is a sweet spot and bigger is not always better. I think there is money to be made for the producers of sustain blocks if they make different "tuned" brass blocks for different guitars based on what they are made of, and what frequencies you want to enhance. All you need is a Dremel tool some tuning forks, and an O-scope.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  12. #12
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.23.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    712
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I just ordered one off of Ebay. Half the price. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better my Peavey Wolfgang Special will sound. I'm also upgrading the volume pot to a Bourns pot, and giving the neck cleaning up (the frets are getting a bit sharp). I've always been happy with the tone of this Special I have, even after trading it to my brother about 4 years ago, then recently getting it back. STILL sounds awesome! The guy I ordered from is selling his at HALF the price, and I really don't see any major difference...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

  13. #13
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I believe I know why you are more muddy. Brass is a great material, since it resonates quite well. Adding a brass sustain block improves tone because of this. Vibrations from the string are transferred into the sustain block, where the frequencies of the vibrations are either enhanced, or muted depending on the material. The sustain block will vibrate at specific frequencies, and transfer these frequencies back to the strings, effecting the way that they vibrate. This variation of vibration is seen by the pickup, and transferred to the amplifier to produce what we hear as improved tone.

    Another part of the equation is the sustain. Just having a regular sized brass block will have the effect of improving sustain, because the resonation of the block and the resonation of the strings will teeter-totter off of one another, making strings ring out longer. Adding mass to the sustain block will offer more sustain, but will change the properties of which sympathetic frequencies will be enhanced. A larger block would have the effect of enhancing more of the low end frequencies, causing a more pronounced response on the bass end.

    While the big block improves sustain because of mass alone, I'm not sold on them. There's more to getting the best tone possible than just shoving the largest piece of brass as possible under your Floyd. The sustain block should be "tuned" to a very specific size, based on the frequencies you want to enhance. Sympathetic frequencies will ring out at even divisors of their wavelengths. If the size or the thickness of the sustain block is off slightly, it could cause conflicting frequencies that produce unpleasant results. It's sort of like when you're tuning two strings that are slightly off, and it produces that unpleasant buffeting sound. That is actually frequencies cancelling each other out because they are overlapping each others sine waves at 180 degrees.

    Put another way, a trumpet made of brass is relatively thin. It's thickness lends itself to great resonance and sustain of notes. If you were to employ the same logic to a trumpet, one would think that the thicker you made it, the better it would sound, but the opposite would be true. If you made a trumpet out of thick brass, it would sound like crap.

    I guess my point is, there is a sweet spot and bigger is not always better. I think there is money to be made for the producers of sustain blocks if they make different "tuned" brass blocks for different guitars based on what they are made of, and what frequencies you want to enhance. All you need is a Dremel tool some tuning forks, and an O-scope.
    very interesting info there nobozos. I certainly see what you mean and it makes sense thats for sure. I do like the sound I just had to tweak a couple things on my amp and now I am good to go but yes..... the sustain is amazing but the overall tone did change a bit.... I put one on the Wolf Stealth special and EVH EBMM and made some minor changes to the amp settings and now I am good to go. Threw one on my Kramer 5150 last night and that sounds very bright sounding now so I hit the jackpot with that one.

    I just ordered one off of Ebay. Half the price. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better my Peavey Wolfgang Special will sound. I'm also upgrading the volume pot to a Bourns pot, and giving the neck cleaning up (the frets are getting a bit sharp). I've always been happy with the tone of this Special I have, even after trading it to my brother about 4 years ago, then recently getting it back. STILL sounds awesome! The guy I ordered from is selling his at HALF the price, and I really don't see any major difference...
    yeah I see the bay is selling them for litterally half the price too and some of them are original floyd rose sustain blocks. I must say I am happy with the ones I have now on my guitars. Got one more coming for my Frankenstrat and then I will be all set. I wanted one on the Frank, 5150, Stealth special and EBMM. The rest are fine without one for now. I may put one on my PV wolf standard but thats down the road. I am happy with the overall sound and certainly the sustain improvements but nobozos is spot on the money.... they do help with sustain but absolutely change the tone and dynamics a bit but I have been able to tweak with the amp to get the sound I like so I am happy.

    Rob

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Is this a brass block ?
    By evhintexas in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05.28.12, 08:19 AM
  2. Floyd Rose Block
    By MOJODOJO in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04.15.10, 03:31 PM
  3. Floyd Rose Block
    By mrjstudios in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09.14.09, 02:13 PM
  4. Floyd Rose Sustain Block & Attenuator Questions
    By MOJODOJO in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04.14.08, 01:58 PM
  5. looking for the block on a floyd rose...
    By lil'devil in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08.02.02, 07:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •