Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Default Atheist Scientist Wants People to Stop Using the Term God Particle: Its So Mislea

Professor Peter Higgs has a bone to pick with the media and anyone else who continues to refer to the sub-atomic particle Higgs boson as the God particle. The atheist scientist, one of the individuals to have confirmed its alleged existence last year, doesnt believe in a higher power and, thus, dislikes the name that has been given to the Higgs boson.

Higgs, who, as the Telegraph notes, drafted the theory of a subatomic particle one that would explain how items have mass isnt hiding his disdain for theological terms being applied to scientific notions. According to the Daily Record, the 83-year-old said that the name God particle started as a joke, but it has now translated into contemporary labels of what he and other scientists continue to explore.
    Atheist Scientist Wants People to Stop Using the Term God Particle: Its So Misleading

British theoretical physicist Professor Peter Higgs before a press conference at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland, Thursday Aug. 30, 2012. Credit: AP

It was apparently a phase coined in physicist Leon Ledermans 1993 book, God Particle, in which he wrote, Why God particle? The publisher wouldnt let us call it the goddamn particle.

Higgs is now speaking out against the joke, claiming that labeling Higgs boson with the term is misleading.

First of all, Im an atheist. The second thing is I know that name was a kind of joke and not a very good one, he said in an interview with BBC Scotland. I think he shouldnt have done that as its so misleading.
    Atheist Scientist Wants People to Stop Using the Term God Particle: Its So Misleading

Professor Peter Higgs, poses for photographs after receiving an honorary degree of doctor of science, from Heriot-Watt University on November 16, 2012 in Edinburgh, Scotland. Professor Peter Higgs, the scientist who postulated and gave his name to the recently discovered Higgs boson, the so called god particle, received the degree in recognition of his pioneering and greatly influential contribution to physics. Credit: Getty Images

The Telegraph provides more background information on Huggs and his theoretical constructs:

Prof Higgs has become a global celebrity over the past year since the discovery of an elementary particle consistent with the Higgs boson, which he predicted in 1964. Last year he was recognised in the New Year Honours.

In the 1960s, Prof Higgs and other physicists proposed a mechanism to explain why the most basic building blocks of the Universe have mass.

The mechanism predicts the existence of a Higgs particle, the discovery of which was claimed last year at the Large Hadron Collider.

TheBlaze last reported about the so-called God particle in March, when scientists, again, claimed that they had located Higgs boson.

As both the AP and TheBlaze reported at the time, the Large Hardon Collider (an atom smasher) that lies beneath the Swiss-French border, has been creating high-energy collisions of protons to investigate how the universe came to be the way it is.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...so-misleading/

That was easy, and I didn't even have to read any of it.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

The official name is the Higgs boson. This is pointless.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

But I took it from The Blaze site. It must be important.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

You'd think for a guy who basically committed his life's work to deconstruct the very essence of universal existence, wouldn't sweat what some people call a friggin' subatomic particle in jest!
    Obviously has too much time on his hands.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 704 Times in 386 Posts

Some of the smartest people can also be the dumbest.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

What's dumb? That theologians were all "yeah! God Particle - see! Science has finally revealed God!" until it was pointed out to them that the nomer was indeed an ironic joke and that the implications of something coming from nothing veered away from a creator being necessary. At which point, many of the same were like "Science!? I don't need no science... now where's my iPhone..."

Gonna steal Sixstring's FB post from today:

Smart motherfuckers look like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

For every particle there must be another which creates the previous particle. Kind of opening a gift and then there is another box followed by another box but somewhere along the line someone had to start the chain moving.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

Any of these scientists saying the "know" anything about the universe is bullshit on their part.

I love science, I love learning more about the universe I live in, I think it is fascinating. But if you do follow it, one thing become amazingly clear, they know very little for sure.

Watched a show about comets two nights ago on the science channel, and they talked about how twenty years ago it was widely held as fact that all comets were comprised of this, this and this.

Now they "know" that is not true. That each comet is distinctly unique.

If you read science publications and follow science programs, it is common thread.

They need to change most of their statements to "based upon our incredibly limited knowledge of the universe at this time, we believe this to be what is happening in regards to...", but that is a lot to say over and over.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

It's the same thing when I watch programs on dinosaurs or paleontology. They talk like they KNOW what they ate, how they ate it, how they mated etc....

You have NO clue dumbass because it was a gazillion years ago!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

Well, with dinosaurs they can tell a lot by their teeth and by the few fossilized remains found in which you can tell what they had in their stomachs.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

geez...it's only a figure of speech

there aren't any dogs in hotdogs.....there's pig snout and bison lips a little of what goes over the fence last and probably cow labia in there....but no dog

THAT'S something that someone should to address

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

Well, I don't believe in atheists and I don't believe in the devil but then my ex-wife sounds a lot like Satan so who knows.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    For every particle there must be another which creates the previous particle. Kind of opening a gift and then there is another box followed by another box but somewhere along the line someone had to start the chain moving.
    And who created the someone? This is the argument of infinite regress.

At some point, following this logic, there has to be a singularity, a prime mover.
    Why is easy to believe some omnipowerful god sprang spontaneously from nothing but nothing else can/did?

As for dinosaurs, they existed a few hundred million years ago (give or take, depending on which genus) and the science into their history is as sound as the science that got you to work today.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 704 Times in 386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    What's dumb? That theologians were all "yeah! God Particle - see! Science has finally revealed God!" until it was pointed out to them that the nomer was indeed an ironic joke and that the implications of something coming from nothing veered away from a creator being necessary. At which point, many of the same were like "Science!? I don't need no science... now where's my iPhone..."

Gonna steal Sixstring's FB post from today:

Smart motherfuckers look like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers.
    It's dumb that anyone gives a shit about what it is called. It isn't like it is the actual scientific name. Even if it was, who really gives a shit? I'm an atheist, and it doesn't bother me one damn bit. It's just a name. A nickname, at that.

However, the dumbest thing is that someone actually published this article.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Any of these scientists saying the "know" anything about the universe is bullshit on their part.

I love science, I love learning more about the universe I live in, I think it is fascinating. But if you do follow it, one thing become amazingly clear, they know very little for sure.

Watched a show about comets two nights ago on the science channel, and they talked about how twenty years ago it was widely held as fact that all comets were comprised of this, this and this.

Now they "know" that is not true. That each comet is distinctly unique.

If you read science publications and follow science programs, it is common thread.

They need to change most of their statements to "based upon our incredibly limited knowledge of the universe at this time, we believe this to be what is happening in regards to...", but that is a lot to say over and over.
    From what I've seen, I think scientists are always the first ones to say, "I don't know", when it comes to the beginning of the universe debate. They might have very credible theories or hypotheses and analytical data but in the end they don't know FOR SURE.

It's the devout religious folk who, more often than not, trying not to generalize too much here, that think they KNOW how the universe began.

Find me 10 scientists and I will bet that at least 7-8 of them will tell you they are not 100% sure how the universe was created, but they do have some theories and data to back them up.

Find me 10 religious people and I'd bet that 7 of them will tell you that God created the Earth. Period. End of story. No discussion. No debate. Science hasn't disproven anything so therefore, we're right.

That by no means is a problem. It's their belief. But they more often than not pass off their belief as fact more often than scientists do.
    Last edited by MF5150; 04.10.13 at 11:39 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel