Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,770 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default Brad Paisley's New Politically Incorrect Song Featuring LL Cool J

WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 21: Singer Brad Paisley performs during the Inaugural Ball at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on January 21, 2013 in Washington, DC. President Obama was sworn in for his second term earlier in the day. Credit: Getty Images

Country music mega-star Brad Paisley has a new single out titled “Accidental Racist” and it’s ruffling some feathers.

In the song, Paisley talks about wearing a shirt with a Confederate flag on it as a symbol of “Southern pride,” not because he is racist. The entire song seems to be about not judging a book by its cover and assuming someone holds a certain point of view because of the way they look or because of what a certain group of people may have done in the past.

Here’s a portion of the lyrics:

“I’m just a white man comin’ to you from the Southland / Tryin’ to understand what it’s like not to be / I’m proud of where I’m from but not everything we’ve done / And it ain’t like you and me can rewrite history / Our generation didn’t start this nation / We’re still pickin’ up the pieces, walkin’ on eggshells, fightin’ over yesterday.”

Rapper LL Cool J also performs in the song, relating to Paisley’s experience:

“Dear Mr. White Man, I wish you understood / What the world is really like when you’re livin’ in the hood / Just because my pants are saggin’ doesn’t mean I’m up to no good / You should try to get to know me, I really wish you would / Now my chains are gold but I’m still misunderstood.”

LL Cool J also admits that he too is “guilty of judging the cover and not the book.” He tells Paisley in the song if he won’t judge his “red flag” if he doesn’t judge his “do-rag.”

Paisley addressed the song in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, saying he has “no interest in phoning it in” with his music.

“I think that [the song] comes from an honest place in both cases, and that’s why it’s on there and why I’m so proud of it. This isn’t a stunt. This isn’t something that I just came up with just to be sort of shocking or anything like that. I knew it would be, but I’m sort of doing it in spite of that, really,” he said.

He went on: “I’m doing it because it just feels more relevant than it even did a few years ago. I think that we’re going through an adolescence in America when it comes to race. You know, it’s like we’re almost grown up. You have these little moments as a country where it’s like, ‘Wow things are getting better.’ And then you have one where it’s like, ‘Wow, no they’re not.’”

Listen to the song below:
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 04.08.13 at 05:54 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

At least it's cool that some people are still trying to write meaningful lyrics.
    Little Dreamer

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

I liked it. An odd pairing if there ever was one, but the whole thing is rather sincere.

I can see the country fans being put off by the LL sections, but still embracing it. I highly doubt that the Hip Hop/Rap fans will even care to notice it. It will be interesting to see the reaction to this song from both sides.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.09.15 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 184 Times in 74 Posts

this is fucking horrible. just godawful.... i'm sure their hearts were in the right place, and i guess good for them for trying... but this looks like a bad SNL skit.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Some of the quotes I've seen about this song:

It sounds like the type of song you'd expect on a cringe comedy. Flashes of Ricky Gervais and the puppet from Arrested Development.
    Horrendous
    It's simplistic and stupid, so country music fans should eat it up and that should end racism forever.
    I heard some of it the other day. It's one of those things where you wish you could like it "ironically", like Rebecca Black's Friday or something, but it's just so overly terrible that the only response is to want to murder innocent babies due to the strange emotions it awakens inside of you.

Or maybe that's just me.
    I seriously expected the opening lines to be "It ain't easy bein' white, it ain't easy bein' brooown..."
    And damn, those are a buttload of lyrics. This guy Paisley is the Tarantino of country songwriters.
    "The red flag on my chest somehow is like the elephant in the corner of the south"

That's just....

Wow....

A fine example of how trying to be clever can go horribly, horribly wrong.
    Not totally outrageous; just naive and dumb. The Confederate flag is a hateful symbol, and the South really needs to find something else to stand for "Southern pride."
    Not that the song isn't really bad, but I'm not really getting the weird outrage over the confederate flag in this thread. As much and more atrocity was committed under the good ol' Stars and Stripes.
    Man, white people sure have it hard in this world. So misunderstood and danceless. The accident of historical ignorance is a debilitating struggle. If only white people wrote books or something to tell their pitiful tale. But how will they afford the ink?!?

Here is an article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-m...ending-racism/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Country music is huge - which I deplore - but it means tons of people listen to it. I gather they don't post online that much. So I guess there will be a market for this song, even though social network hipsters don't like it.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.09.15 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 184 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Country music is huge - which I deplore - but it means tons of people listen to it. I gather they don't post online that much. So I guess there will be a market for this song, even though social network hipsters don't like it.

there's also a market for liquid cheese in a can.