Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Default VH Roth 6 Pack Released In Audiophile 192kHz/24-bit Hi-Rez Audio

This appears to be legitimate. I guess I'm not surprised that this has totally slipped under the Van Halen/Warner Bros radar as something to promote.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...etail&id=10796

Taken at face value, this site is offering high resolution downloads of all six original Roth era albums taken "from the original EQ production analog tapes." The audio quality is 4 times better than CD if downloaded as FLAC files. Taken from their front page that describes the quality difference:

- A CD is 1411 Kbps which is why your CDs sound so much better than your MP3s (or 48kHz/16-bit which is what a stereo WAV file is)
    - An HDtracks Master Quality file is typically either 96kHz/24-bit or 192kHz/24-bit, meaning that it has twice the bit depth of your favorite CD and up to 9612Kbps of sonic information!

It not only appears to be a legitimate site but all the albums appear to be official releases from their respective record labels. A large number of the artist' albums listed have been releases as high resolution SACDs or other hi-rez audio discs in the last 10+ years but along with the VH titles, there's an intriguing number of other albums that have never been released in such formats. The key is the buyer has no idea if they are simply upsampled from existing CD digital masters or actually directly taken from "master" tapes at full 192kHz/24-bit resolution as it appears the sources are furnished by the artists respective record labels. Anyone who remembers when the CD format was first introduced, some albums sounded like shit because the masters used where actually analog cassette masters despite record company claims otherwise or when Mobile Fidelity put out those pricey "Mastersound Gold Discs" supposedly using master tapes, some titles came from nothing close to "master" sources.

IMO, for nearly $100, it's a tough sell to (re)buy the Roth albums even in hi-rez quality. The remastered cds from 2002 sound excellent and as picky as a listener I am, I would probably never notice the improvement. There's some albums I've bought in 192kHz/24-bit quality, mostly as dvd-audio or SACD physical discs that I have noticed a significant sonic upgrade like the Pink Floyd and Talking Heads albums but for 95% of what's out there, even a dog would have a hard time noticing a difference.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

The 2002 remasters are pretty compressed, and BOBW is even worse. I might be interested in this, but it'll really depend on the mastering. A higher res version of the 2000 mastering wouldn't sound much better, but if the original dynamics are intact, this could be pretty darn cool.
    Last edited by Casemeister; 04.05.13 at 09:19 PM.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Here are some FYI links from an audiophile discussion board where they discuss these HDTracks.com hi-rez releases.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...78-1984.314410

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...9#post-8727787

And a technical article/review from ComputerAudiophile.com:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-khz-download/

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Here are some FYI links from an audiophile discussion board where they discuss these HDTracks.com hi-rez releases.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...78-1984.314410

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...9#post-8727787

And a technical article/review from ComputerAudiophile.com:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-khz-download/
    Heh, I was just over at SH.tv checking out the reviews. I'm a regular poster there. Cool forum, if a little serious and Beatles-obsessed at times.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All of CVH
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

This is excellent. Thanks for the heads up.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I don't know anything about this particular release but HDtracks is definitely legitimate. The difference on the albums I've heard is stunning if you have the right equipment. Good to see the VH albums there.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister View Post
    Heh, I was just over at SH.tv checking out the reviews. I'm a regular poster there. Cool forum, if a little serious and Beatles-obsessed at times.
    I'm also a regular there. I like it because they talk about a lot of different music, but I'm not an audiophile and I don't partake in the discussions of masterings and pressings and all that stuff. I like to just talk about the music. They are Beatles-obsessed, but so am I. So I get it. As one poster there pointed out, if we're talking about musical excellence it only makes sense that the Beatles would be a big topic.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    As one poster there pointed out, if we're talking about musical excellence it only makes sense that the Beatles would be a big topic.
    You can't argue with that...

Never a truer word....
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Why aren't cds released in the highest possible format in the first place? It only makes complete sense doesn't it???

It would be interesting to hear these Hi-Rez versions, but I'm not paying that kind of money for them...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I've blown a lot of money on Van Halen stuff so I'll probably invest in these at some point.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Why aren't cds released in the highest possible format in the first place? It only makes complete sense doesn't it???

It would be interesting to hear these Hi-Rez versions, but I'm not paying that kind of money for them...
    The problem is that at the time CD's had a limited storage capability so you had to make sure the songs could all fit.

Now that CD's are essentially obsolete, the new limitations have been the processing speed and storage capacity of playback devices. Now that mobile devices and computers are getting faster and have more storage, record companies are able to keep reselling you the same music over and over again as the size of the files and the sound quality "improves".
    Last edited by NoBrownM&Ms; 04.06.13 at 08:20 AM.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&Ms View Post
    The problem is that at the time CD's had a limited storage capability so you had to make sure the songs could all fit.

Now that CD's are essentially obsolete, the new limitations have been the processing speed and storage capacity of playback devices. Now that mobile devices and computers are getting faster and have more storage, record companies are able to keep reselling you the same music over and over again as the size of the files and the sound quality "improves".
    So, if I was to download these, I dont burn them to cd??? I just play them through my computer???

Sorry for the noob questions, but I've never ventured into this area before

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

You could burn them to a DVD and listen to them on a home stereo.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

I think it's a balancing act between quality, cost and file size basically. I'm not an expert on this but I think your typical CD is sampled (i.e. converted from analog to digital) at 44.1 kHz and a bit rate of 16. 44.1 kHz is considered the minimum sample rate to achieve "high quality" digital audio.

So one minute of uncompressed, mono digital audio sampled at 44.1 kHz and 16 bit will be about 5.1 MB of data ... on the other hand a sample rate of 192 kHz and 16 bit will be about four times as much data at 22 MB.

Long story short ... it's all a give and take and the listener often gets the short end of the stick lol.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

CDs are released in the highest possible format for a CD because of the way a CD works. So it makes complete sense because it's all math, data allocation and the eventual physical media you're storing this digital data on. Basically the higher the resolution of something, whether it's music, movies or pictures, the more space it takes up.

CD = 800 MB

Thus CDs were developed using the Red Book standard using the Linear PCM (LPCM) codec which is the equivalent of a WAV file format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV_file

16-bit 44.1kHz @ 1411kbps: 1 minute = 10 MB

This is allowed 80 minutes of 2-channel (2.0) stereo music on a CD.

Once single-layer DVDs were developed with a higher capacity:

DVD = 4.7 GB (4,700 MB)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

24-bit 96kHz @ 4608kbps: 1 minute = 15.1 MB
    24-bit 192kHz @ 9216kpbs: 1 minute = 30.2 MB

Now you had a way to distribute the LPCM data with a higher resolution in addition to having enough space to now play with 6-channel (5.1) surround sound.

However, all of this stuff takes different codecs to decode the digital data and translate it into analog sound frequencies so you can hear it. Two formats emerged:

DVD-Audio
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

and

Sony's proprietary SACD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

Neither format ever took off because you needed new hardware with different codecs to decode the data format. Audiophiles love the formats but that's not a big enough consumer demographic to make economic financial sense in producing a product.

Nowadays with the Internet and mobile devices the market is shrinking for those who want to purchase CDs so we're now reducing resolution with the MP3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3) and M4A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4a) file formats for download speed and smaller storage convenience.

16-bit 44.1kHz @ 256kbps: 1 minute = 1.8 MB

Similarly, think of standard definition (SD) 720x480 pixels for movies on single-layer DVDs (4.7GB) or dual-layer DVDs (8.5GB) with basically compressed MP3-quality 2-channel (2.0) and 6-channel (5.1) audio tracks. Now we have high definition (HD) 1920x1080 pixels for movies on single-layer Blu-rays (25GB) or dual-layer Blu-rays (50GB) with uncompressed PCM 2-channel (2.0) and 8-channel (7.1) audio tracks.

Basically what all of this mumbo-jumbo comes down to is that now you don't need a physical storage medium to distribute high-resolution media files or fancy hardware like a proprietary CD/DVD player to play them. This is where HDTracks.com comes into play because you can just download the file itself and play it on your computer without needing to worry about discs and players on the consumer end.

David Lee Roth promises no discussion of metaphysics after happy hour. I should subscribe to a similar mantra concerning the discussion of technical data while enjoying my Saturday morning coffee.

Agreed. I would like to hear these out of pure curiosity but I'm not going to buy the Van Halen catalog again. And, the only device that a home consumer who downloads these 24/96 or 24/192 hi-res files can play them on is a computer so the only way to actually the hear the improvement of sound (which is all subjective and debatable within audiophile circles on discussion boards ) is to connect your computer to a high-end stereo system with good speakers. Not even iPods or most smartphones can play these files because they lack the codec. Even a high-end home media device like the PlayStation3 doesn't have the proper codecs. And to burn them to a DVD to play on your DVD/Blu-ray player takes a lot of know-how, software, time, etc., so it isn't worth it to the average consumer who wants to purchase and play simply and easily.

Which leads us to this day and age of iPods and smartphones and little earbud headphones. Which is why MP3s/M4As are the standard low-resolution audio format because this generation of music consumers aren't really caring about high fidelity since they're listening to music on mobile devices through low-fidelity cheap earbuds and/or in cars with mediocre speakers and sound systems. Which leads to the compressed music. Which results in a lower quality sound. Which reduces fidelity and dynamics. Which leads to the loudness wars. And on and on and on and on... and round and round we go!

It's all relative in the end anyway. If it sounds good to you and makes your foot tap and your mind groove then just enjoy the music. Chasing high fidelity and a better tone and dynamics (i.e., a tone chaser ) can be an enjoyable hobby but like anything else that becomes an obsession it can interfere with the enjoyment of something which is why you will find people on audiophile discussion boards who are never satisfied with anything because they're constantly chasing something to be better and better. At some point with everything in life you have to "settle" and just be happy. Where that line is drawn is different for everybody.

Basically, these new high resolution releases of the Van Halen 1978-1984 catalog is cool on an audiophile level. But I'll be sticking to listening to my old CDs sometimes but mostly listening to my MP3/M4A versions ripped from the 2000 remasters because in my old age my ears can't really hear the difference. "Running With The Devil" and "Panama" are still "Running With The Devil" and "Panama" no matter what format or resolution I'm listening to them on. Especially when I'm simply humming them in my mind without listening to them. I don't even know what resolution that file format or codec is!