Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 11,775 Times in 6,522 Posts

Premium Member

Default TEEN PENS HILARIOUSLY SCATHING OPEN LETTER AFTER SHE DIDN’T GET INTO HER TOP SCHOOLS

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me

By SUZY LEE WEISS

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Colleges tell you, "Just be yourself." That is great advice, as long as yourself has nine extracurriculars, six leadership positions, three varsity sports, killer SAT scores and two moms. Then by all means, be yourself! If you work at a local pizza shop and are the slowest person on the cross-country team, consider taking your business elsewhere.

What could I have done differently over the past years?

For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it. "Diversity!" I offer about as much diversity as a saltine cracker. If it were up to me, I would've been any of the diversities: Navajo, Pacific Islander, anything. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, I salute you and your 1/32 Cherokee heritage.

I also probably should have started a fake charity. Providing veterinary services for homeless people's pets. Collecting donations for the underprivileged chimpanzees of the Congo. Raising awareness for Chapped-Lips-in-the-Winter Syndrome. Fun-runs, dance-a-thons, bake sales—as long as you're using someone else's misfortunes to try to propel yourself into the Ivy League, you're golden.

Having a tiger mom helps, too. As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me. It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." But my parents also left me with a dearth of hobbies that make admissions committees salivate. I've never sat down at a piano, never plucked a violin. Karate lasted about a week and the swim team didn't last past the first lap. Why couldn't Amy Chua have adopted me as one of her cubs?

Then there was summer camp. I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life. Because everyone knows that if you don't have anything difficult going on in your own life, you should just hop on a plane so you're able to talk about what other people have to deal with.

Or at least hop to an internship. Get a precocious-sounding title to put on your resume. "Assistant Director of Mail Services." "Chairwoman of Coffee Logistics." I could have been a gopher in the office of someone I was related to. Work experience!

To those kids who by age 14 got their doctorate, cured a disease, or discovered a guilt-free brownie recipe: My parents make me watch your "60 Minutes" segments, and they've clipped your newspaper articles for me to read before bed. You make us mere mortals look bad. (Also, I am desperately jealous and willing to pay a lot to learn your secrets.)

To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures? That too! To those of you disgusted by this, shocked that I take for granted the wonderful gifts I have been afforded, I say shhhh—"The Real Housewives" is on.

Ms. Weiss is a senior at Taylor Allderdice High School in Pittsburgh.

A version of this article appeared March 30, 2013, on page A11 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:33 AM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

As my Dad always used to say "Life sucks and then you die."

She should be thankful she's not going to be overpaying for 4 years of glorified summer camp. She can an equally solid education getting two years at a community college at a fraction of the price, then move to a full time local college to finish her degree: hopefully not in anthropology, philosphy, or some other useless degree.

What she has learned is that the whole world is about marketing. You market yourself to potential mates, employers, and friends. As long as you have something fun, interesting, or in demand to offer you will be just fine. What you don't need is a 4 year degree at some East Coast college.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

If she (like most) pays for her own degree, than surely the subject-matter should be of her own choosing? So it doesn't matter if it's anthropology, philosophy, or something deemed equally "useless" - does it?

Secondly, I'd argue that education has its own intrinsic value - and that therefore neither anthropology OR philosophy are "useless". They expand the mind, they enable students to develop their research and thinking skills - as well as necessitate the ability to formulate a cogent argument...Anthropology is also seen by some as an area of scientific study - so there are further 'useful' skills to be gained there too, I'd have thought...

Anyway, it doesn't matter, does it...At the end of the day, after she's completed her useless degree, she can always go and do something really useFUL like serve up fast-food..! - which just goes to remind me of the old joke, told to me when I was coming to the end of my Literature degree:

Question: "How do you address an English graduate?"
    Answer: "Big Mac and Fries, please".

Such is life, I guess...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I got a chuckle out of the article.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    If she (like most) pays for her own degree, than surely the subject-matter should be of her own choosing? So it doesn't matter if it's anthropology, philosophy, or something deemed equally "useless" - does it?

Secondly, I'd argue that education has its own intrinsic value - and that therefore neither anthropology OR philosophy are "useless". They expand the mind, they enable students to develop their research and thinking skills - as well as necessitate the ability to formulate a cogent argument...Anthropology is also seen by some as an area of scientific study - so there are further 'useful' skills to be gained there too, I'd have thought...
    I 100% agree with you, until she then complains that she doesn't make as much money as the finance geek or engineer.

Yes, it is her choice, and every degree has some value (though, I must say, a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management seems like a fucking joke to me, but to each their own), but I think many people make that choice, then are shocked to find that their degree in Ancient Mayan Dialects doesn't result in a very high paying job, and they get pissed off.

A lady CPA in my office told me once that her father told her she could go to any college she wanted to and get any degree she wanted to. But if she wanted him to pay for it, it had to be in state and in business or engineering.

Smart man.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Too many people get degrees that are worthless. Yes you are educated but there is no interest in the outside world after your commencement. My co-workers father-in-law sent two daughters to school. Got the same shitty social science degree. Both can't do shit with it so one is a maid and the other works I think at Target. $120k down the drain. Thankfully he is rich enough to absorb the hit however others are not so lucky. Student debt for life.

I understand there is a need for everything but make it so that only the best of the best can get bullshit degrees. You others will just have to apply for the business school or find some degree that is useful out there in the real world.

I mean you should see some sort of ROI on going to college. If you want to socialize, drink, find yourself, etc join the military. Hey you even get paid for it too plus you get money for school. Most kids have absolutely no idea what they want from 18-23.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

You make a great point.

I know I wasn't mature enough at 17 to make the decision of what I wanted to be for the rest of my life. "Hey Dreidel, you are really great at math, you should be an accountant". My response, "Ok". That was the amount of thought I put into my life long career.

A few years in the real world before college would have done me an immense amount of good. All I did when I got to college was drink booze and chase p***y.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 04.06.13 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

The main problem I think with higher education is the sheer numbers co-erced into doing it. Students that have no academic aptitude whatseover are pushed into going to university - by government looking to fiddle the youth unemployment figures. This is why, certainly in the UK, they are now looking to raise the compulsory school-leaving age to 18 - and probably beyond, before too long.

There should be far more investment - by both government and existing companies - in apprenticeships and vocational courses that prepare the less academically-minded teenager for more practical employment, whether that be manual labour, technology, whatever.

It's time we recognised - and weren't afraid to admit - that not every person is geared towards academia - and there is nothing whatsoever shameful about that. Furthermore, those with university degrees need to stop thinking that they're 'superior' by virtue of having a degree - as I doubt very much that those 'high-achievers' could mend a fence, fix a blocked toilet, replace a fan-belt, or give someone a decent hair-cut. And those people who ARE capable of doing these things should be amply rewarded for their skills and contributions, just as those who go on to higher-education of the more traditional sort.

(Hmmm, the above sounds terribly familiar - am I experiencing deja-vu, do you think?)

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Those vocational schools and apprenticeships already exist, but most don't want to do it.

Being a plumber is hard work, so not many want to be a plumber, where I do tax returns for plumbers and carpenters that make more than some lawyers and stock brokers.

A great paying job is a crane operator, but they can hardly ever find anyone to do it, as it is hard work. (Maybe why it is high paying...hint hint Dibs).

As for your other point, any man who can't mend a fence, fix a toilet, replace a fan belt or give his son a hair cut needs to have his man card revoked anyway. No wonder you had to start dating an American, you Brits obviously are short on men with testosterone, but I could already tell that by your singers, as none of their balls seem to have dropped.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

First of all, if you keep this nonsense up, I will have to come at you with the cod again - so consider yourself warned.

Secondly, I disagree with the central tenet of your argument. Certainly in the UK, students are actively dissuaded from leaving school at 16 to go and do the apprenticeships and vocational courses of which I've spoken. There is simply very little investment in them by government or private enterprise - and partly that is because government has an agenda regarding universities and formal higher education - international league tables, youth unemployment figures, the way in which these different strands of education are financed, wanting to push the nation down the route of being a technological power-house and financial centre rather than one focused on manufacturing, etc etc, the list goes on.

The only part of your post I will agree with is that yes, I'm very happy to have an American fella...I'm all for improving international relations, as you can tell!

Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Too many kids are pushed by their parents into college for useless degrees... There is nothing in the world wrong with learning a trade for a fraction of the cost of a 4 year college education. The world needs skilled tradesmen and women. And, most trades cannot be shipped off to India. The people who have trade training and experience (auto mechanics, HVAC/Commercial HVAC, electricians, computer programmers, IT professionals all as examples) do just as well as many (if not more people) financially than those who get 4 year degrees in a useless major and then end up doing something totally different than what they majored in. I will not be pushing my sons to go to a 4 year school if they do not have some idea of what they want to do and if it is not in a real world scenario. If they have no idea what they want to do, then they will go to a 2 year community college and get the basics and learn a trade. Unless they want to pay for it all themselves.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    First of all, if you keep this nonsense up, I will have to come at you with the cod again - so consider yourself warned.

Secondly, I disagree with the central tenet of your argument. Certainly in the UK, students are actively dissuaded from leaving school at 16 to go and do the apprenticeships and vocational courses of which I've spoken. There is simply very little investment in them by government or private enterprise - and partly that is because government has an agenda regarding universities and formal higher education - international league tables, youth unemployment figures, the way in which these different strands of education are financed, wanting to push the nation down the route of being a technological power-house and financial centre rather than one focused on manufacturing, etc etc, the list goes on.

The only part of your post I will agree with is that yes, I'm very happy to have an American fella...I'm all for improving international relations, as you can tell!
    Well, then the UK is idiotic in that regard. But I wasn't writing about the UK, I was writing about the US, and there is a lack of skilled technical labor in this country, and it is no longer just plumbers and other skilled labor positions. Now we are shorthanded in doctors, engineers and other vital skilled areas because everyone wants to be a fucking hedge fund manager r investment banker.

Our best and brightest used to work on putting men on the moon and finding cures for polio. Now our best and brightest write computer algorithms to make portfolio profits on trading discrepancies between the NYSE and the Nikkei.

I would think in the UK however, that there would be a great deal of demand for dentists....

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

This is for the dental comment:

As for the rest of it, yes, I agree - the British government are crap. However, the anti-vocational ethos isn't helped by the prevailing public concensus that you're only really a valuable member of society if you have a degree. Manual labour is looked down upon and seen as something that only 'thick' people do. Totally fallacious, of course. But then, a great deal of what is held up as conventional wisdom is inherently flawed.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    As for your other point, any man who can't mend a fence, fix a toilet, replace a fan belt or give his son a hair cut needs to have his man card revoked anyway.

oh fuck ....