Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default Fast-food workers strike, citing low wages: 'It's not enough'

By Barbara Raab, Senior Producer, NBC News

They work for some of the biggest businesses in the United States, yet they are among the country's lowest-paid workers.

On Thursday, fast-food workers staged walkouts at McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell and other restaurants in New York City to call attention to their plight. Organizers scheduled the job actions to commemorate the day Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated 45 years ago in Memphis, where he was supporting a strike by sanitation workers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's not enough," Elba Godoy, a crew member at a McDonald's just a few blocks from Times Square, said of her $7.25-per-hour minimum wage, which helps support her extended family of seven. "They don't like [that we're out here], but we have to do it. We cannot survive on $7.25."

Godoy and her colleagues are seeking a raise to $15 an hour and the right to form a union without retaliation. The walkout is part of a national movement by low-wage workers to raise wages and gain rights.

The National Employment Law Project, a group that advocates for a higher minimum wage, says the purchasing power of the minimum wage is 30 percent lower today than it was in 1968. It has documented, since the start of the recession, a growth in low-wage jobs and the disappearance of jobs that it calls "mid-wage." Specifically, NELP finds:

•Lower-wage occupations constituted 21 percent of recession losses, but 58 percent of recovery growth;
    •Mid-wage occupations constituted 60 percent of recession losses, but only 22 percent of recovery growth;
    •Higher-wage occupations constituted 19 percent of recession job losses, and 20 percent of recovery growth.

In the fast food industry, NELP says, the big names have weathered the recession, and they are seeing solid profits and passing them along to top executives and shareholders, but not to their lowest-paid workers. Fast food and other low-wage workers often qualify for food stamps and other public assistance, meaning that taxpayers subsidize their wages.

The low-wage trend is expected to continue; the government estimates that six out of the top 10 growing occupations over the next decade will be in relatively low-wage, low-skill jobs.

In a statement, McDonald's said the company and its franchises "work hard every day to treat McDonald's employees with dignity and respect. Employees are paid competitive wages and have access to a range of benefits to meet their individual needs."

"In addition," the company said, "employees who want to go from crew to management can take advantage of a variety of training and professional development opportunities."

Michael Saltsman, research director at the free market-leaning Employment Policies Institute, says that by demanding $15 an hour, these employees are hastening their own demise.

“The workers aren’t in a fight with management,” he said, “they’re in a fight with technology.” At some point, he said, “the cost of service is going to get trumped by the customers’ demand for lower prices,” and people will be replaced by less expensive machines, like a burger-making robot being marketed by a San Francisco company.

For those looking to climb the wage ladder, a recent government report contained some sobering news: some of the most numerous and available jobs in America are also its lowest-paying.

Topping the list of most common jobs is retail salespeople, followed by cashiers, and, in third place, food service workers. There are more than 2.9 million of those folks, and they earn the lowest median wage in America: $8.78 an hour, for an average annual wage of $18,720 per year -- if, that is, they work full-time. That amount is just above the poverty line for a family of three; below the line for a family of four or more.

"Enough’s enough," said 24-year-old Alterique Hall, one of Godoy's co-workers. "Low-paid workers are sick and tired of being sick and tired at the end of the day. We get a pat on the back saying, ‘You’ll be fine, you’ll make it somehow."" He says he can't make ends meet on the $8-per-hour he's paid, and often relies on his grandmother and aunt for meals.

"Help us get a job at your office," he said, gesturing to the army of white collar workers scurrying to their high-rise buildings.

http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_new...ot-enough?lite
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Fast food and most other minimum wage jobs are low skilled jobs. They're not worth $15 an hour. A starting teacher makes roughly the equivalent of $30 an hour (180 school days, 7 hour day). The person that forgets to give me a fork when I order a salad at Carl's junior is worth half of a position that requires 4-5 more years of school with a degree and another 2 years of certification (in CA) and is entrusted in shaping the future of society? Hell, as a sub teacher in credentialing now I make $17 an hour. Give me a fucking break.

Fast food jobs are shitty jobs. Making them more comfortable eases the desire to work hard for a promotion or better job.

Also, don't have kids if you're only qualified for a minimum wage job. You can't afford to have a kid, much less more than one kid.

We're doing society a disservice if instead of encouraging people to do better--no matter what problems that may be out of their own control--we just make the shitty jobs more comfortable. Who the fuck wants to flip a burgers and press buttons on register for a long-term career? No one.

I understand there are exceptions here. But the vast majority of these people are 16-25. We should not be making these jobs more palatable to them.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

if these people have an issue with min wage then they should take it up with their govt. These are min wage paying jobs because you can train someone to do them in no time at all. I'm not a fan of trying to cripple your employer to make this kind of point. If the job sucks so much then quit.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Get your fuckin asses back in kitchen and make me a fuckin hamburger.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Get your fuckin asses back in kitchen and make me a fuckin hamburger.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

It's going to be a lot harder to get by when you are unemployed. They knew what the pay was when they took the job. Let's be honest, it's not like they are mining coal for minimum wage or sewing by hand. They are pushing buttons, putting microwaved food together, and mopping the floor.

If they haven't noticed lately, unemployment is above 8%. If they want to join the ranks of unemployed they are more than welcome. The only thing that will cause the pay to go higher is if NO ONE will take the job at $7.25. If they can't fill the position and the manager has to come in on his Sunday to help, you bet your ass that offer will increase.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The only thing that will cause the pay to go higher is if NO ONE will take the job at $7.25.
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

Strike away. It's a complete waste of time, and hours of work that are obviously needed.....dumb asses.

I hate it when people take a job knowing what the pay is then turn around and bitch about it. I told my min wage staff at a golf course I worked at that if they complained about their wage, that was the first indication to me that they probably needed to leave the organization and make room for somebody who can appreciate it.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:48 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Expecting low pay for a job like this is common sense.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

And Chris Hayes connected this strike to Martin Luther King tonight in the opening segment on his show, as MLK visited the strikers of the 1968 Memphis sanitation workers before he was killed.

I just don't understand it. There's a segment of society that supports a "living wage" (in this case $15/hour), but does not support school choice, nor do they want to admit that certain policies created a dependent society which inadvertently broke up the Black family. Even Bob Beckel has admitted that "we thought we were doing the right thing" for the right reasons, and it backfired, creating a segment of society that is "dependent," with the Great Society.

All of these things are interconnected--poverty, education, dependency, poor family life, having too many kids you can't afford. But the answer isn't to increase the pay of the lowest-skilled workers. It's to give them a better shot. But that doesn't mean hand them stuff in the form of welfare or doubling the minimum wage.

It hit me the other day. Schools aren't desegregated. We still segregate, just not based on race. We segregate based on location. Location also often means by socioeconomic status as well. For the most part the poor attend schools with other poor kids, middle class with middle class, and affluent with affluent. And this just maintains the status quo. We have terrible inner-city schools where poor kids who are typically minorities attend, usually with only one parent. They drop out or get a subpar education with little skills that pay off in society except for working class jobs or worse. There's plenty to distract them, including high paying "jobs" in gangs running drugs and/or guns or we give handouts to them if they get pregnant.

So a lot of these people have little options to stay on the straight and narrow other than minimum wage jobs. And our answer is to double their pay?

We're fucking really stupid.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm a fast good general manager and I can attest that there's usually a good reason people take these jobs.

1. They have usually fucked up in life or have no drive to do good for themselves.

2. First job.

3. They are just underachievers and its part of their culture to be degenerates.

My dad told me something when it comes to work. I told him once that I didn't want to go to college and he told me " great, the world needs ditch diggers". It's no coincidence that these people have these jobs. It's all about choices in life and some make bad ones. People want to bitch about money but do nothing to better their lives. I have no sympathy. The only reason I do it is I get paid quite well.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    And Chris Hayes connected this strike to Martin Luther King tonight in the opening segment on his show, as MLK visited the strikers of the 1968 Memphis sanitation workers before he was killed.
    Who is Chris Hayes? He sounds like an idiot.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

Default Has disability become a 'de facto welfare program'?

The National Employment Law Project, a group that advocates for a higher minimum wage, says the purchasing power of the minimum wage is 30 percent lower today than it was in 1968.
    In the fast food industry, NELP says, the big names have weathered the recession, and they are seeing solid profits and passing them along to top executives and shareholders, but not to their lowest-paid workers.
    Or, just forget minimum wage, and go on defacto welfare:

Has disability become a 'de facto welfare program'?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    On Thursday, fast-food workers staged walkouts at McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell and other restaurants in New York City to call attention to their plight.Organizers scheduled the job actions to commemorate the day Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated 45 years ago in Memphis, where he was supporting a strike by sanitation workers.
    Ironic, considering that all those places serve is garbage.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Who is Chris Hayes? He sounds like an idiot.
    Well I already knew the story, so I didn't read this article, but apparently they picked this day because of MLK, according to the story posted here. I thought he was making the connection. Either way, big difference between 1968 and now.

Chris Hayes was a weekend guy on MSNBC but just replaced Ed Schultz in the 8pm EST hour opposite O'Reilly.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Well I already knew the story, so I didn't read this article, but apparently they picked this day because of MLK, according to the story posted here. I thought he was making the connection. Either way, big difference between 1968 and now.

Chris Hayes was a weekend guy on MSNBC but just replaced Ed Schultz in the 8pm EST hour opposite O'Reilly.
    Well there ya go.

Is he the one that looks like a lesbian?

EDIT: Yep, that's the one.