Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Hunt for bogus war heroes uncovers thousands of hoaxers

During the past decade, some 4,000 men have been exposed while posing as combat warriors to fool women, scam federal benefits and reap undeserved praise. But the latest fake veteran to be uncloaked and convicted will carry an unofficial military rank to prison: “Captain Obvious.”

Danny Crane, 32, earned that colorful moniker from the man — an actual wounded veteran — who used his two basement computers and a loose, national network of fellow amateur sleuths to unravel Crane’s lies and ultimately hand him to federal prosecutors. Crane, who lived in the Tampa area, was sentenced March 14 to one year and one day in federal prison.

“His uniform was all wrong. The discharge papers he posted online were wrong. His mannerisms were wrong. The only thing he had right were his tattoos. He was Captain Obvious,” said retired Army Staff Sgt. Fred Campbell, one of 10 veterans who operate a nonprofit, virtual detective agency called Guardian of Valor.

“For four months, I was eating, sleeping and crapping Danny Russell Crane. My wife was getting sick of hearing about it,” said Campbell, who lives in Tennessee and has paralysis on one side, sustained as a result of his military service. “Most of these guys do it for the hero worship. They see the accolades veterans get. So they just wake up one morning and say, ‘Hey, I was a member of the Black Sheep Squadron!’”

Crane, who served less than three months in the Army — never in combat — conned the Department of Veterans Affairs out of $7,000 by claiming he was half blind, had once been shot in the back, suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and had 24 metal plates inserted in his face. In public, he routinely wore two Purple Hearts, a Distinguished Flying Cross and an Air Medal — none of them earned. Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Kaiser said Crane concocted the persona of “the most decorated man in Florida.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...f-hoaxers?lite
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

The hell with a jail sentence. If these assholes want to be war hero's than send them over to that shit hole in the middle east.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

When I was in elementary school everyones dad was a hero on Omaha Beach or Iwo Jima. The real heros never come back.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Bastards
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Counterfeit is easy to spot. Real hero's never claim to be hero's. They don't pose or talk about taking fire publicly, show their medals or any of that bullshit. They're the ones that everybody talks about but never talk about themselves.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

You can always tell the guys who have chewed on some scorched earth, they don't want to talk about it, because A) they don't want to relive it and B) they know most of us can't possibly understand what it was like.

Try getting a guy who stormed the beach at Normandy or fought in Korea to talk about it, almost a zero percent chance it will happen.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a neighbor that was at Normandy. He'd gladly talk with my boys & I about the comraderie had w/ his fellow servicemen but never brought up actually about storming the beach or any of the other mud 'n blood stuff he did/saw & out of respect for him we never asked . Heck of an individual. Always felt richer after talking with him a few minutes. Truly a dying breed.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    You can always tell the guys who have chewed on some scorched earth, they don't want to talk about it, because A) they don't want to relive it and B) they know most of us can't possibly understand what it was like.

Try getting a guy who stormed the beach at Normandy or fought in Korea to talk about it, almost a zero percent chance it will happen.
    My mother had to force my grandfather to write down his account of storming Normandy just so that his story wouldn't die with him. Rumour has it that it was the first time he cried in 40 years.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Danny Crane, 32, earned that colorful moniker from the man — an actual wounded veteran — who used his two basement computers and a loose, national network of fellow amateur sleuths to unravel Crane’s lies and ultimately hand him to federal prosecutors. Crane, who lived in the Tampa area, was sentenced March 14 to one year and one day in federal prison.

Name's on the door....

Last edited by MF5150; 03.26.13 at 11:05 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Last summer we did a job for this old guy (Stan). He is one of the few remaining Pear Harbor survivors. Only way we knew it was his license plate. I finally got up the courage to ask him about that day. He didnt go into much detail about the attack at all. He mainly wanted to talk about what a paradise Hawaii was back in the 40's. He did tell me a little of his story from that morning. He was off duty that day and had just gotten out of the shower and was shaving when he heard bombs going off and planes flying really low. He was confused because they we're not any planned exercises that day. He heard two Zero's flying down the road his barrack was on and they started to fire. He ran out onto the street wearing only a towel. As he stood there they flew right by him and he could see the pilots, one of the pilots grinned at him! He said all hell broke loose at that second. The anti aircraft guns had been chained down, they had to cut them loose with bolt cutters.

Thats all he told me about the battle. He would go on and on about how much fun Hawaii was and how it was paradise back the.
    He is flown to Hawaii on the anniversary of Pear Harbor each year. He thinks its sad what has happened to Hawaii.

Amazing guy!! AT the end of the job he gave me one of his Hawaiian shirts that they gave him on one of the anniversary's.

I need to stop in and see him.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

One of the greatest guys I've ever had the privilege of knowing was a man called Clive. He was my boss at my first job.

He was a vet from both the Malaya Crisis in the 50's/Early 60's (fellow Commonwealth citizens and history buffs know what I'm talking about) and Vietnam in the mid/late 60's. He never, ever talked about his service history in either conflict, and I didn’t' know it at the time, but he was an ardent and vocal member of a group (whose name escapes me) who sought accountability from our government for our involvement with the production, and application of Agent Orange.

In our little section of Vietnam, some of our troops handled those defoliant chemicals like thousands of Americans did in other parts of the country. Clive had a son who was born with down syndrome. Clive’s closest friends wife had constant miscarriages and stillbirths, and, eventually, both Clive and his friend died of cancer.

I never knew any of this when I worked with Clive. He never talked about this with anyone - at all. It wasn't until I saw his photo on the front page of the newspaper on an article about Agent Orange, some 18 months later (in a new job), when I found out all this.

Great bloke, and much missed.
    Last edited by ignorance_is_bliss; 03.26.13 at 12:28 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

My grandpa had a purple heart, but never wanted to talk about it. My dad, before he passed, relayed the story about how he was shot in the shoulder while taking a German gun. Sadly, those are the only details either of us will ever know.

My great uncle (my grandpa's brother) was a Sea Bee at Normandy. He has been interviewed a couple of times, both for Ollie North's "War Stories" and for a couple History Channel documentaries. Most of the time when he's with us he just speaks about the comraderie, but during those interviews he opened up a bit and actually started to choke up when he talked about the carnage he witnessed: floating bodies face down, body parts strewn, and the water turning red.

It's a shame that the honor people like them earned is stolen (or at the very least cheapened) by these pathetic souls. More than prosecution, I just wish these guys would just be publicly shamed on the national news.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.