Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dragonfire Guitars BYO MM Kit

I was looking for some more guitar parts for a rebuild I'm working on and some parts for a red,black and white 5150 project. Well I ran across a kit on dragonfire guitars. It is called the BYO MM Kit.
    http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/pro...oducts_id=1168

There isn't alot of info on the page about the kit. I was wondering if someone might have tried one of these or knew someone that has built one.

One guy did a 5150 kit build from one of their kits and it seemed to sound nice on the video.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Aren't the EB MM 4&2 on the headstock? The pic is 3&3 for that kit. Maybe that had to do it for legal reasons? $199 seems awful cheap too. Makes me wonder what quality of hardware is.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

There's a lot off on the body too...the p/u selector is offset,volume appears too low, and back too far...Yes it's for liscence infringement prevention.... who knows regarding the quality/seasoning of the body wood etc... It's a cool find, and you never know... but those "bargain basement" prices always give me caution for recommendation. You rarely would even get a quality body and neck alone with a heavy discount off Ebay for $200 bucks, let alone parts. Regarding the parts from these guys, be careful! I recognize that "Floyd" too. A buddy had one of those installed on a Dean he has. It's utterly useless, as the knife edges are soft, and it doesn't have the typical rear Allen head Cap Screws in the rear. In their place, they are a pot metal style hook that the microtuners make contact with. They also have the smallest toneblock I've ever seen on any trem. We promptly installed a real Floyd.
    Just me, but I'd steer clear.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.16.13 at 12:49 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Generally speaking, you do get what you pay for, and in terms of guitars, a sub $200 instrument is going to be a p.o.s. The parts and components are going to be shit, the frets might be buggered up and have jagged edges or small nicks in them, you might have a slight warp in the neck or it might not line up with the body cavity quite right. I've bought my share of cheap guitars...never again, not one of them turned out to be even a decent instrument that did not need a ton of work to make playable. Something was always off. My spidey senses tell me it will be the same with this instrument, but believe me, I understand the temptation to give it a shot. Don't do it, save up for a good instrument. If you want to assemble your own there are good companies out there that will give you quality material.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Exactly! I just hate seeing someone get burned. Yeah...to some it's tempting when you see: only "200 bucks", but keep in mind, it's still 200 bucks that can go a long way in terms of real quality parts, like tuners, pot(s) p/u's etc. Spend more on a proven manufactuer, and spend less later on replacement parts when the others give up the ghost. Tuners for example. I don't know how many I've replaced over the years where someone brought their guitar in saying "it won't stay in tune, even after putting in brand new tuners." Those tuners are usually cheapo replacements that on the outside look like a Grover, or a Schaller, but internally, are absolute crap. They'd go for a generic brand, rather than spend an extra 20 to 40 dollars. That's not a lot more for reliability, and years of service.
    The only "budget" online supplier for parts I'd trust would be Guitar Fetish. Yes...Some of the stuff is relatively cheap, but do your homework on the specific products, and you'll find that quality vs. value with them goes far beyond what these guys offer.
    I wasn't trying to shit all over your post BTW.......Like I said, I'd just rather you save some money in the long run, and enjoy the end result of your labour.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.16.13 at 04:38 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the most part I looked at the kit for the body and a few odds and ends. Necks can be so-so.. I have even had to massage a couple of actual wolfgang necks. Not by much mind you.

The body looks more like a later 2009 Sterling or OLP, being more evenly rounded on both sides rather then off set like an original bodies. I wasn't thinking of making an exact copy of a MM. So the fact that the control locations seem off isn't a huge factor.

I was also planning on using an AxMax Tremolo instead of the FR. No need for the D-Tuna then. The AxMax has enough adjustment in the low E fine tuner to drop it to D with no problem.

The Dragonfire kit looks really close to the Mean Street Intruder Guitar Kit.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

I bought one of the mean street kits. They are ok, nothing to write home about. Like someone mentioned, you get what you pay for.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~