Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms

Wearing bulletproof vests and carrying 40-caliber Glock pistols, nine California Justice Department agents assembled outside a ranch-style house in a suburb east of Los Angeles. They were looking for a gun owner who’d recently spent two days in a mental hospital.

They knocked on the door and asked to come in. About 45 minutes later, they came away peacefully with three firearms.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...t-to-bear-arms
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

and so it begins...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
    and so it begins...
    If you're referring to common sense then yes it's beginning.

The owner lost his right to own or to have access to guns. He spent a couple days at Shady Acres. Tough shit. He might be psycho. He or his wife cant have guns anymore. I weep for them......

Meanwhile the only thing people are going to be saying is, "And so it begins...the government is coming for our guns"
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.12.13 at 10:06 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post

The owner lost his right to own or to have access to guns. He spent a couple days at Shady Acres. Tough shit. He might be psycho. He or his wife cant have guns anymore. I weep for them......

Meanwhile the only thing people are going to be saying is, "And so it begins...the government is coming for our guns"
    no, wasnt referring to your first ramble...was referring to the correct statement at the bottom.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Do you guys actually think its a bad idea to remove guns from the mentally unstable?

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Do you guys actually think its a bad idea to remove guns from the mentally unstable?
    Depends on who is writing the definition of "mentally unstable". I'd wager that the threshold of mental instability gets progressively lower & lower.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Depends on who is writing the definition of "mentally unstable". I'd wager that the threshold of mental instability gets progressively lower & lower.
    Who should write the definition?

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Not the gov or any of their agencies for sure. Furthermore, and maybe this is the case, I'm not sure, but if you're going to take away someone's constitutional right to protect & defend themselves, shouldn't there be an evaluation of their present condition before their lawfully obtained property is confiscated & destroyed? The mentally unstable now are treated as convicted felons?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Not the gov or any of their agencies for sure. Furthermore, and maybe this is the case, I'm not sure, but if you're going to take away someone's constitutional right to protect & defend themselves, shouldn't there be an evaluation of their present condition before their lawfully obtained property is confiscated & destroyed? The mentally unstable now are treated as convicted felons?
    then who? Someone needs to make that call, don't they? Or are you ok with someone who has serious mental health issues having access to weapons?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 18,061 Times in 8,926 Posts

I think if based upon the existing laws in place, if you would not have been eligible to purchase a gun, it is just common sense that you should have to give them up.

Here in Virginia you cannot own a gun if you have ever been convicted of a felony or been admitted into an asylum or used an insanity plea in court.

Seems common sense to me that if after you have purchased your weapon you are determined to be looney tunes, that you should give said weapon up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I think if based upon the existing laws in place, if you would not have been eligible to purchase a gun, it is just common sense that you should have to give them up.

Here in Virginia you cannot own a gun if you have ever been convicted of a felony or been admitted into an asylum or used an insanity plea in court.

Seems common sense to me that if after you have purchased your weapon you are determined to be looney tunes, that you should give said weapon up.
    Seems like common sense.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

That story was posted in the gun thread yesterday.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/indi...t44217p54.html

I have an issue with the idea of government wanting to conduct a warrantless search based on the idea that you might be guilty of a violation or crime. The article did point out that without a warrant the police could have been denied entry. We also have to be careful with the 'involuntary hold' aspect of this. The woman who had her guns taken in the article has explained her side of the story.

Guns of Law-Abiding Husband Confiscated After Wife’s Single Voluntary Mental Health Visit
    Mar. 12, 2013 5:50pm

Just last week, the California Senate approved a $24 million funding bill to expedite the process of collecting guns from owners in the state who legally acquired them but have since become disqualified due to felony convictions or mental illness.

Such was recently the case for one woman, who had been in the hospital voluntarily for mental illness last year that she says was due to medication she was taking. Lynette Phillips of Upland, Calif., told TheBlaze in a phone interview Monday she had purchased a gun years ago for her husband, David, as a present. That gun, as well as two others registered to her law-abiding husband (who does not have a history of felonies or mental illness), were seized last Tuesday.

“My husband is upset that they took the right from us that should never have been taken, Phillips told TheBlaze.

But according to the state of California, that doesn’t matter.

“The prohibited person can’t have access to a firearm” regardless of who the registered owner is, Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office, told to Bloomberg News.

According to the Los Angeles Times last week, budget cuts created a backlog of 19,000 people in the state with more than 40,000 guns that they are no longer legally allowed to own.

Such a Prohibited Armed Persons File is created through the Office of the Attorney General. When a person is entered into the Automated Criminal History System, the Consolidated Firearms Information System is also checked to see if they might have possession of a gun. The same check is conducted for those involuntarily admitted into the hospital for mental illness as well.

Bloomberg reported that nine police with the state’s Department of Justice wearing bulletproof vests and carrying Glocks went to homes on March 5 to retrieve the guns from people who, under this law, were no longer allowed to own. The Phillips family was one of them.

Phillips told TheBlaze the authorities arrived in unmarked cars Tuesday night around 8 p.m. Seeing as how she had never been in trouble with the law before, when they asked to enter, she said “sure,” not thinking to ask for a warrant. This gun confiscation law doesn’t go so far as to give officers warrants to enter property without permission.

Phillips explained that she and her husband were seated at their dining room table and questioned about the firearms. Phillips showed authorities where the weapons were located — a handgun in the top dresser drawer and two rifles in a safe in the garage. After Phillips unlocked the case in the garage, she said officers pulled her away from the guns and back into the house.

“They weren’t mean,” Phillips said. “I know they were just doing their job.”

But it’s a job Phillips said that never should have had to be done in the first place.

Phillips told TheBlaze she had an adjustment to her medication in December and could not stop crying. Her personal psychiatrist suggested she go to Aurora Charter Oak Hospital in Covina, Calif., where she said she was admitted voluntarily, not a threat to herself or others. Then, when she reviewed her file, Phillips said the nurse had recorded that she was involuntarily admitted and indicated she might be a suicide risk. Phillips claims the nurse had put words into her mouth.

“I kept telling her I had a grand-baby at home and had to be better for Christmas,” she said. “Does that sound like the words of someone who is a risk to themselves and others?”

Phillips believes — and noted online reviews of the center should substantiate her claims — that the process at the psychiatric hospital was a joke. Bloomberg contacted the hospital for a response regarding Phillips’ admittance but had not received a reply.

Still, the issue of patients potentially being misdiagnosed speaks of the larger implications of the laws that might apply following such a hospital admittance.

“Let’s see if we can’t prevent this from happening to someone else,” Phillips said, calling what has happened since she was in the hospital a “snowballing” effect.

“I do feel I have every right to purchase a gun,” she told Bloomberg. “I’m not a threat. We’re law-abiding citizens.”

She also pointed out the length of time it took before authorities had come to collect the firearms.

“This happened in December,” Phillips said. “I asked them at what point where they notified. They said between 24 to 48 hours after I was in the hospital.”

As Phillips pointed out, if she were truly a risk to herself or others, the authorities didn’t claim the guns in timely fashion. Timeliness could be what the state senate’s new funds for the collection of such firearms could be for. Some disagree, though, with where the new money is coming from. According to the LA Times, the $24 million would be made over three years from a fee paid for by those registering their guns in the state.

Bloomberg reported, according to state records, around 2,000 firearms, 117,000 rounds of ammunition and 11,000 magazines were collected under the law last year.

As for the Phillips family being reinstated with their firearms, she said they have to wait 30 days while an investigation is underway before she can appear in front of a judge who will determine her competency.

“What they are investigating, I have no idea.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...s-confiscated/
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.13.13 at 06:12 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post

Right on, Mitch!

This whole "right to bear arms" battle cry makes me want to pull my fucking hair out. No, I'm not saying people can't have guns. But the gun crowd takes it to the extreme level and it makes me fucking nuts. :

The thread title is very misleading by the way.
    Last edited by Double Down; 03.13.13 at 06:19 AM.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    The thread title is very misleading by the way.
    What do you expect when the same folks keep spamming this forum with their deranged Brietbart/Alex Jones crapola. The gobment ain't taking away nobody's guns....but they will take your post office.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 18,061 Times in 8,926 Posts

In reading the article in post #12, if the article is accurate California handled it poorly (shocker).

People who are no longer legally able to own guns should be given notice and a short window to sell their gun to an authorized gun vendor or some other sane solution (like handing it in to the police for a tax credit). If they do not comply, then a warrant is issued and officials come and confiscate the weapon(s).

Showing up in the evening in unmarked vehicles armed to the teeth feeds into the conspiracy theorists belief that the government is nothing more than a modern day Gustapo out to round up everyone's firearms.

The fact that she self admitted herself to the looney bin should not be a factor in my opinion. You are mentally unstable and on medication for it, you don't get to have firearms in your house.

I am a stong believer in the Bill of Rights and the 2nd Amendment, but in my opinion it does not give carte blanche that everyone is able to own a gun. I'm sorry, but crazy people should not have guns, it's just common sense, I can't even believe we are arguing it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!