Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Default Glad to see Dave making the rounds but...

These interviewers are hacks at best. Would love to hear some questions answered in specifics. Some things I'd like to hear discussed...

1. Tell us about the dustup with the Clash back during the early 80's.

2. How were songs like Could This Be Magic, Push Comes To Shove, etc. written? (Quite a change of pace for VH).

3. Details on how they wrote songs back in the day and why they could hammer out an album in days/weeks vs. the months it takes now.

4. Elaborate on the 50-60 dates at the end of the year in Europe.

5. Why would they not play Drop Dead Legs, Stay Frosty, etc live?

6. Why not release any rare, obscure footage to us longsuffering VH battered wives?

Just spitballing here on a beautiful Tuesday in south Alabama. I'm sure some of these questions have been broached and speculated on before, but I'd like to hear directly from Dave.

What would be some of your questions? Serious replies only, please.
    ...Zero Discipline

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

Also, you never know who is lurking here. Your question may be asked.
    ...Zero Discipline

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think part of the reason we don't get a lot of questions like that is because guys like Corolla and Rogen are not super die-hard fans of Van Halen. The Opie and Anthony interview was the best of the three in my opinion in a big part because Jim Florentine was there (who is a die-hard Dave and VH fan) and he brought up some stuff that Opie and Anthony probably wouldn't.

I think the best interview with Dave from a celebrity would be from someone like Adam Sandler or Chris Rock who are known to be super die-hard fans. They would probably ask some more obscure questions that folks like us here would ask.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    These interviewers are hacks at best. Would love to hear some questions answered in specifics. Some things I'd like to hear discussed...

1. Tell us about the dustup with the Clash back during the early 80's.

2. How were songs like Could This Be Magic, Push Comes To Shove, etc. written? (Quite a change of pace for VH).

3. Details on how they wrote songs back in the day and why they could hammer out an album in days/weeks vs. the months it takes now.

4. Elaborate on the 50-60 dates at the end of the year in Europe.

5. Why would they not play Drop Dead Legs, Stay Frosty, etc live?

6. Why not release any rare, obscure footage to us longsuffering VH battered wives?

Just spitballing here on a beautiful Tuesday in south Alabama. I'm sure some of these questions have been broached and speculated on before, but I'd like to hear directly from Dave.

What would be some of your questions? Serious replies only, please.
    I think you have to keep in mind that the hosts of these kinds of shows are trying to appeal to a mass audience. They aren't aiming for the middle-aged diehard VH fan. If they start asking questions about specific songs, a lot of folks will flip the dial.

That said, the hypothetical "what would you ask Dave?" is a great idea for thread.

I would ask:

You mentioned that you and Eddie haven't written a song together in many years. Tell me about the creative process during the earliest days of the band.

Is there anything you think you could have done differently back in 1985 that might have prevented the initial break-up of Van Halen?
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

The big question is, why is he making rounds? We've heard a bit about a few tour dates, and something at the end of the year. But aren't these interview "rounds" basically to promote something?
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    The big question is, why is he making rounds? We've heard a bit about a few tour dates, and something at the end of the year. But aren't these interview "rounds" basically to promote something?
    Dave is mostly there to promote the Roth Show.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    I think you have to keep in mind that the hosts of these kinds of shows are trying to appeal to a mass audience. They aren't aiming for the middle-aged diehard VH fan. If they start asking questions about specific songs, a lot of folks will flip the dial.

That said, the hypothetical "what would you ask Dave?" is a great idea for thread.

I would ask:

You mentioned that you and Eddie haven't written a song together in many years. Tell me about the creative process during the earliest days of the band.

Is there anything you think you could have done differently back in 1985 that might have prevented the initial break-up of Van Halen?
    I understand that reasoning but disagree that it wouldnt be interesting. You know Dave will be entertaining/annoying no matter what, but there has been some nuggets unearthed and details shared that resulted from something completely opposite in terms of questioning. The details on the guy robbing his dad were VERY interesting to me.

I would love to hear how they specifically hashed out the old tunes, among other things. A good interviewer could "corral" Dave so to speak.
    ...Zero Discipline

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    That's actually a pretty damn good question. Dave hasn't made a peep about VH since the cancellation announcement and then in a matter of about 2 weeks, he does 3 print interviews and 2 radio shows.....and moves back to the US? Did Dave drop a solo album that I missed?

I guess it's just par for the course in the bizarro world of VH public relations.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I think part of the reason we don't get a lot of questions like that is because guys like Corolla and Rogen are not super die-hard fans of Van Halen. The Opie and Anthony interview was the best of the three in my opinion in a big part because Jim Florentine was there (who is a die-hard Dave and VH fan) and he brought up some stuff that Opie and Anthony probably wouldn't.
    You're right on that. I also would add that Jim Norton got Dave talking about some really good stuff. I've never heard anyone ask Dave about what it was like for him during the 90s when his career was on a downturn. That got my attention big time because I was thinking Dave was gonna get defensive but he really came across humbled by the whole experience.

And him talking about how close he is with Alex was a great revelation as well.

Definitely a thumbs up to O&A crew. Adam Carolla gets my vote for funniest interview.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    I understand that reasoning but disagree that it wouldnt be interesting. You know Dave will be entertaining/annoying no matter what, but there has been some nuggets unearthed and details shared that resulted from something completely opposite in terms of questioning. The details on the guy robbing his dad were VERY interesting to me.

I would love to hear how they specifically hashed out the old tunes, among other things. A good interviewer could "corral" Dave so to speak.
    I totally agree that it would be interesting, but that's because I am also a fan. A good deal of the audience is just vaguely aware of who David Lee Roth is. That's why a lot of the radio stuff is conversational/general banter vs. in-depth VH-related queries.

The casual VH fans in the audience are mostly interested in hearing about the main band drama (eg, Dave vs. Sammy, Wolf vs. MA, Eddie vs. everyone).

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Lurking since 2001
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post

I think the best interview with Dave from a celebrity would be from someone like Adam Sandler or Chris Rock who are known to be super die-hard fans. They would probably ask some more obscure questions that folks like us here would ask.
    Chris Rock is a die-hard VH fan?
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Chris Rock is a die-hard VH fan?
    Yes, he is. He went to high school in a white neighborhood in the 80's. He's a huge VH fan, the original lineup.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

I suppose you guys are going to tell me that Chris Rock is a rapper too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

Dave answering questions would make a great Roth show.
    ...Zero Discipline