Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickup suggestions?

Had a guitar put together a couple years back. Took a favorite neck off a crappy sounding Music Man Silhouette and matched it with a custom swamp ash body.

Currently have an SD Custom Custom in the bridge. Thinking maybe a Tone Zone or an SD EVH 78.

Thoughts?

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dig that guitar!
    I have a tone zone in an ibanez, and it has lots of oomph in the bottom end for a floyd style guitar. But it really depends on what you are looking for.
    IMO, peoples opinions on the web can only go so far. I found success with the throw rice on a wall and see if it sticks method. Sometimes you just got to try a few out until you find one sings in a particular guitar....but even then it sounds good some days and some days not...then you convince yourself another pickup would be better...and then and then. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have been considering replacing the neck pickup in both USA EVH/Fender Wolfs. They are just a little to bassy/muddy to me. The bridge pups sound great in both guitars and I don't wanna compensate on the tone stack for the neck pup.
    Any suggestions ?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:14 AM
    Liked 238 Times in 60 Posts

I recently tried the Bare Knuckle VHII and it was rockin'.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrbond5150 View Post
    I replaced a Rio Grande BBQ with one of these in a beat to shit purple EVH musicman. I like it a lot,not necessarily better than the original(shorted) or the BBQ (shorted after the little "E" hung under the pickup one too many times and broke the bobbin).

I really liked the Rio Grande a lot and am considering going back to it. However, I would like to try some other higher output Bare Knuckle pickups. Rebel Yell, Abraxas, or maybe even a Nailbomb. Anyone have any experience with any of these?
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I tried a pair of Bareknuckle Rebel Yells in my USA Charvel So Cal, and they were good, but didn't quite work for me in that guitar. They had plenty of balls, but not quite open enough in the highs. I replaced them with an EVH Frankenstein in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck, and that was the perfect combo for me.

Interestingly, I put the RY's from the Charvel into a Japanese Tokai SG copy, and they sound beautiful in that. They have a mid range honk that just suits the SG perfectly, great for Angus licks. So, great pickups, but as always, it depends on the guitar and your ears.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

http://www.wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#

Great pickup... I love mine... Handwound and if you aren't happy he'll rewind it for free... very dynamic and articulate...

Sent from two cans and a string using Tapatalk 2
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

This looks pretty good !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Toyota Hilux is good.

Wait.

Wrong pickup.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I've always liked SD for production pickups in terms of their tonal balance. The Pearly Gates is very good.
    I've been looking at a few others though after recently playing some guitars that had pickups that my buddy hand wound years ago.

The Motor City Afwayu has great reviews. Similar to a JB, but with a rounder, ballsier tone overall. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one for my old maple Attila where the original Dimarzio Distortions are really microphonic now. (probably need potting)
    Other manufacturers of note:
    Bill Lawrence
    Bareknuckle
    All three offer scatterwound pickups which depending on wind/magnet selection, can deliver a lot of power, but tend to add a bit more natural response and articulation of the notes picked. They don't compress as much as say a typical production precision wound Dimarzio type of design for example.

It's kinda like listening to the two tunes...The original Ripley, vs. Blood and Fire.
    Now that's more the amp, as according to Ed, he actually used the original Ripley guitar on the Blood and Fire track, but with the added compression of the high gain 5150III, it sounds , at least to my ear, less tasty and flat.

It's the same thing with high output conventional wound production pickups. The more you saturate the preamp up front, the more flat the frequency response, especially matched with a high gain amp. It can sound good of course if that's all you want.

It's a matter of taste. I just personally like pickups that can respond to my picking attack along the lines of what I put in, I want to get out. I don't want it to compress if I'm trying to add softer chiming picking to a phrase...If that makes any sense.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.12.13 at 10:35 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I've always liked SD for production pickups in terms of their tonal balance. The Pearly Gates is very good.
    I've been looking at a few others though after recently playing some guitars that had pickups that my buddy hand wound years ago.

The Motor City Afwayu has great reviews. Similar to a JB, but with a rounder, ballsier tone overall. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one for my old maple Attila where the original Dimarzio Distortions are really microphonic now. (probably need potting)
    Other manufacturers of note:
    Bill Lawrence
    Bareknuckle
    All three offer scatterwound pickups which depending on wind/magnet selection, can deliver a lot of power, but tend to add a bit more natural response and articulation of the notes picked. They don't compress as much as say a typical production precision wound Dimarzio type of design for example.

It's kinda like listening to the two tunes...The original Ripley, vs. Blood and Fire.
    Now that's more the amp, as according to Ed, he actually used the original Ripley guitar on the Blood and Fire track, but with the added compression of the high gain 5150III, it sounds , at least to my ear, less tasty and flat.

It's the same thing with high output conventional wound production pickups. The more you saturate the preamp up front, the more flat the frequency response, especially matched with a high gain amp. It can sound good of course if that's all you want.

It's a matter of taste. I just personally like pickups that can respond to my picking attack along the lines of what I put in, I want to get out. I don't want it to compress if I'm trying to add softer chiming picking to a phrase...If that makes any sense.

Good luck in your search.
    +1000 your post pretty much says what I have been thinking.
    If I get time tomorrow, I will call the wolfetone guy and see what he thinks about the situation. I first thought my 09 vintage white wolf was just a one-off thing. But, now I have 2 USA Wolfs and both neck pups sound muddy to me. The neck pup in my 09 USA Charvel San Dimas HH sounds really good. Part of me says tear it out and put it in a Wolf and part of me says leave it be !!! I bought a OLP FR Wolf from a fellow linker and the neck pup in it sounds really good as well. It's an Air Norton or Air something IDK but it sounds good.
    Thanks for the input man

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    +1000 your post pretty much says what I have been thinking.
    If I get time tomorrow, I will call the wolfetone guy and see what he thinks about the situation. I first thought my 09 vintage white wolf was just a one-off thing. But, now I have 2 USA Wolfs and both neck pups sound muddy to me. The neck pup in my 09 USA Charvel San Dimas HH sounds really good. Part of me says tear it out and put it in a Wolf and part of me says leave it be !!! I bought a OLP FR Wolf from a fellow linker and the neck pup in it sounds really good as well. It's an Air Norton or Air something IDK but it sounds good.
    Thanks for the input man
    No problem man! Keep in mind that it's just my opinion....but I do have a pretty stringent process of selecting a pickup. I also consider what the wood the guitar is made of in the equasion. If its a wood like maple, I tend to go for a pickup that is a little more low to mid focused. Basswood, more mid to high, and a little higher output, but not a "distortion/shred" type of output. Just a tad hotter to offset the lower responsiveness or crispness of basswood, and give it a little more articulation.
    Every guitar is different though....Even the same model can have different response and acoustical properties that make one pickup right or wrong for it, but you at least get in the ballpark. I'm just one hell of a perfectionist...Drive myself crazy sometimes. haha.

It's a real balancing act, and I've got lots of pickups that are sitting in boxes because they weren't exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes I swap from one guitar to another and get lucky...Others are still waiting for that perfect match to reside in.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.13.13 at 11:45 AM.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrbond5150 View Post
    I have played a couple of gigs with this since my last post on the subject, and this pickup does indeed kick ass! The overall response is the kicker. Playing in my studio,even at band rehearsals, does not fully allow one to appreciate the overall dynamic.

It cuts through at every loveable frequency and has plenty of output,( my first impression was based on gain instead of response). I am blown away.

I still want to try some higher gain models in a Les Paul or two. However, I would hate to find out that I went searching when I had already found, if you know what I mean.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have a duncan sd-5 Custom in my custom built 1 piece swamp ash body strat...

its a bit hotter and crunchier with more upper mids than the custom custom..more like VH1 growl.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Be sure to check out a EVH wolfgang bridge pu!
    these things are so underated because most have not tried one in a strat type.
    I have one on my one charvel and it is very impressive, it is a cross between the custom wound dimarzio in the EBMM axis and the PV wolf bridge pu.