Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default David Lee Roth - Hartford 2002 - Full Concert

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

I'm a DLR fan, and I can honestly say that tour is just embarassing to watch. Him trying to act like it is still 1986 is really hard to watch.

His voice is not in good shape on this tour either.

I have this show on DVD and it never gets played.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I was shocked that DLR came at it so old school, wild and irreverent during that period of time. What was he in his mid/late 40's?

That performance was almost offensive but I kinda dig it even more because of that. lol

Thanks for posting it.

I think his voice sounded cool.

That was pretty much a backing band for DLR at the time but they are great players. Brian Young especially.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I'll have to check this out when I get home.

I was at this show!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I'm a DLR fan, and I can honestly say that tour is just embarassing to watch. Him trying to act like it is still 1986 is really hard to watch.

His voice is not in good shape on this tour either.

I have this show on DVD and it never gets played.
    I'm NOT a (solo) DLR fan at all -- but that doesn't mean I want him to suck.

I saw this tour in Indianapolis and it was tough to watch at times. He kind of embarassed himself - Edgar Winter hair, the Jack Daniels jack-off and the flying splits off the riser.

I'm sure many people dug it, but it seemed there was a collective "man, is this guy washed up" smirk from the audience around me when Dave was acting like Dave.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Oh, you had to remind me. I had forgotten all about the five or so touring years with the Jack Daniels jerk off routine. Beyond lame and more than a little creepy.

It is pretty sad when a man tries to act like he is eighteen when he is actually in his late forties.

However, the drum rise jump never got old for me. Seeing a guy almost fifty flying of the drum riser was always cool to see.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really enjoyed Dave's show in 2002 in Cincinnati. I was so happy that Dave closed the show instead of Sammy that night. I thought Dave put on a great show and his voice was pretty strong as well and there was A LOT of energy from his CVH set and the fans there were really digging it. I wasn't real impressed with his backing band though. Brian Young had his moments but they looked and felt pretty generic to be honest. I also thought Sammy's backing band was not good either. Worse than Dave's actually.

The long bleached hair during that time didn't bother me so much. It's David Lee Roth! I mean Diamond Dave was back after the years of the Vegas lounge act Dave...I was thrilled. The outfit he wore was kind of cheesy but it didn't bother me too much. I'm glad now that he is almost 60 that he isn't sporting that look. But for 2002... it was borderline creepy I agree... but I still dug it in the live setting.
    Last edited by Legend of Roth; 03.07.13 at 12:07 PM.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I really enjoyed Dave's show in 2002 in Cincinnati. I was so happy that Dave closed the show instead of Sammy that night. I thought Dave put on a great show and his voice was pretty strong as well and there was A LOT of energy from his CVH set and the fans there were really digging it. I wasn't real impressed with his backing band though. Brian Young had his moments but they looked and felt pretty generic to be honest. I also thought Sammy's backing band was not good either. Worse than Dave's actually.

That's a shocker!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

You could take the best from both bands, and they wouldn't be better than VH or Chickenfoot, at least in my opinion.

There are reasons usually that people are playing in cover/tribute outfits and bar bands.

I was actually embarassed for DLR the 2002 Sam and Dave stop I saw, which made his 2007 performance with VH such a great surprise for me, I went in expecting the worse and he was the best part of the band that night.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

I was actually embarrassed for DLR the 2002 Sam and Dave stop I saw, which made his 2007 performance with VH such a great surprise for me, I went in expecting the worse and he was the best part of the band that night.
    I also saw the "Sam & Dave" 2002 tour. To say it was an odd pairing is an understatement. Hagar's show was just plain ridiculous imo. The guy has totally ripped off Jimmy Buffett's whole act, right down to the booze and flip flops. Dave's band won the coin toss that night and came on last. I liked how stripped down and no frills his show was. Nothing but a backline of Marshall amps and let the music do the talking. Brian Young was culled from farm team "The Atomic Punks" and could play anything EVH can, albeit not exact in tonality. Better than Steve Vai though, imo. James Lomenzo on bass kicks ass. His resume speaks for itself. Ray Luzier on drums and you had a pretty good band. I thought they did a great job. There were some who were walking out though, and I think it probably had everything to do with his persona at the time. The blond in a bottle peroxide hairdo turned a few off I guess, maybe it was that Jack Daniels thing, I dunno. Overall though, they sounded stronger and gave a better rock & roll presentation than Hagar's group did.

As far as the 2007 tour, I read that Roth had vocal coaching beforehand and he made tremendous strides as far as singing his songs true to the records went. I think for everything gained by doing that, he lost a little ground with his visual performance though. Fast forward to the last tour and it's like he lost that vocal edge and went right back to where he was before 2007. He needs to sing songs in their correct register and quit trying to overreach certain notes.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

You could take the best from both bands, and they wouldn't be better than VH or Chickenfoot, at least in my opinion.

There are reasons usually that people are playing in cover/tribute outfits and bar bands.

I was actually embarassed for DLR the 2002 Sam and Dave stop I saw, which made his 2007 performance with VH such a great surprise for me, I went in expecting the worse and he was the best part of the band that night.
    For what it was I enjoyed what Dave's band brought then.

Millions of people cover VH from hobbiest, pro players, pro tribute bands and even pro signed bands/musicians who will play a VH cover from time to time.

I don't know enough about Brian Young outside of the Punks or DLR to know what he's all about but he does a cool job covering VH. It's not that hard to play if you've played long enough and fast runs simply come with real practice. What Brian did, that was cool imo, was capture a lot of little nuances that you don't often hear people do so well. Even most of the tribute guys out there that I've seen clips of on YT etc don't capture many of the little nuance things as well as Brian did. Maybe not everyone notices or cares about that stuff. It's not like I specifically looked for it but when you hear it you know and Brian did a cool job.

So with real VH being that far removed from existence at that point I got a real kick out of what they were doing. Dave bringing his old school style back even if a little gnarly with a good band plowing through the tunes. It was a treat imo.

Not going to compare or comment much on Sam's band and all that. I'm not much of a fan of his voice, music or style so even if he was bang on with his band that tour it doesn't do much for me.

Like anyone else I'm tainted with my own preferences and all but I thought that was cool.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 03.09.13 at 01:14 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    That's a shocker!
    Sorry man...but that's my opinion. Didn't say that to hate on Sam at all. I thought Sam did pretty damn good but his backing band "The Waboritas" just didn't sound real great. Maybe it was a off night but I wasn't real impressed with them. I really wish Mike was with them at the show. Just because my user name is Legend of Roth doesn't mean I hate Sam, I assume that's what you were thinking?
    Last edited by Legend of Roth; 03.09.13 at 08:01 PM.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Default Van Halen, Audience, and Perceptions of Time

...And in this review thread, we can discern the singular fissure, which divides Van Halen's fanbase to this very day.

----- FISSURE:

* Those who feel "embarrassed" by what they perceive as performance-as-anachronism, which they regard as a desperate bid to recapture "lost glory days." This group desires that artists to "look cool," and "act cool" (i.e. look and act 'age-appropriately' because they themselves aspire to this standard, and see the artists' compliance/failure to do so as validation/invalidation of their respect for an artist.) This group chides artists for, essentially, refusing to conform to the socio/cultural (fashion) aspects of a given time.

This group sees the group below as embarrassingly not "right here, right now."

VS.

* Those who feel inspired by the performance, because in it, they sense authenticity, and effort. Authenticity is not dictated by fashion trends or acting "age appropriate," but by the particular spirit of the particular artist. These people tend to evaluate the artist on his own terms, and not in relation to himself or the fashions of the times. This group longs for something more along the lines of what Iggy Pop regularly produces onstage, the spirit of which is "timeless."

This group sees the group above as slaves to trends they conform to without understanding, having also apparently misunderstood the essence of what made the performer great in the first place.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Or, they just think a fifty year old man losing his hair dressing up like Ziggy Stardust is a little comical looking. He is obviously free to do so, and then I am free to make fun of him for doing it.

He looked ridiculous, and I am a DLR guy.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT and VHII
    Favorite VH Song

She's the Woman
    Last Online

08.29.13 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dlr

I am a huge dlr fan and have been since the 80's. I even attended this show and had a BLAST - enjoyed both Sam and dave. But listening to this compared to new VH tours is black and white - dave matured and worked hard to get his voice back and it shows - both on album and new VH tours!
    All I want to give you woman, is the best part of a man.