Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Headphones For Recording Guitar

Hey guys.
    I'm putting this in the guitar forum, simply because I'm having some issues recording my guitar properly now with some of the headphones out there.
    I got so goddamn frustrated last night, I figured I should ask you this question.

Bit of a back story...
    I had been using some nice old openback Sennheiser's for years (Model number escapes me), and they were just amazing headphones. About 10 yrs. old. Great on all instruments, and the best I've ever used for recording guitar. What you dialed your signal chain to in the headphones with EQ etc. is what you got in your monitors at final mixdown and mastering.

So, last November, I had a friend come over, and long story short, he tripped over my cord walking through the studio, and only one of the earpiece jacks (to prevent damage) came out. The other stayed in, and ripped out on an angle breaking the housing, and ripping the coil wires off at the driver.

Pretty bummed, I went out and tried a number of new Sennheisers, but they've obviously changed some stuff, and they sound kind of brittle, and lack the full frequency range of my old ones. Tried some Sony's, and they were a little bass heavy.

My wife..The sweetheart that she is, bought me some new headphones for Christmas. They are real nice Bose ones. They sound very good on a previous recording with the old ones, but once again.....actually recording guitar with them is a miserable experience. I feel bad because she went to all the effort to get 'em for me, but she doesn't know what I hear, and how critical I am with this stuff.

I just can't get my channel strips to work with them right.
    Again...They sound a bit brittle...too much treble, and dialing in midrange is very hard because they are very midrangy to begin with, so any cutting or boosting in the mids just kills the sound further, at least with guitar tracks....makes the guitar sound like a buzzbox with any substantial gain setting.

I've tried to compensate with every method I know how. I honestly thought when he tripped over the cord, he may have fucked up the phones output too from my console, as the plug of the phones had a dent where it pulled against the jack.

It does seem to be OK though.

So all that aside, what make and model phones do you guys recommend these days?
    I've used AKG's in pro studios, but I know unless you spend a bundle, their not worth it.

Some folks recommend those damn Beats things, but I refuse to buy those on principle! lol

So many of you guys make such great recordings, so I'd really like to know what some of you are using. There seems to be a big "Impedance War" going on from what I've read, and I'm wondering if this is why I'm having so much trouble. Maybe manufacturers are putting too much emphasis on the impedance for razor sharp high end accuracy, but the overall frequency response is taking a back seat. My old Senny's were 32 ohm. and so round and full. My new Bose are 90 ohm. and they sound stark and cold with a guitar.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.05.13 at 08:18 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to use AKG's (240M) from the 1990's, but recently upgraded to Audio Technica ATH-M50's and was blown away by the difference in bass response and overall volume. I know they are pretty popular with a lot of folks. Your mileage may vary, but they are worth trying out if you're able to audition new 'phones. I use them mostly for electronic drums.
    Staying Frosty

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    I used to use AKG's (240M) from the 1990's, but recently upgraded to Audio Technica ATH-M50's and was blown away by the difference in bass response and overall volume. I know they are pretty popular with a lot of folks. Your mileage may vary, but they are worth trying out if you're able to audition new 'phones. I use them mostly for electronic drums.
    The 240M's were a nice set. I used some in my friends home studio. I looked at a comparable recent set at Tom Lee Music, and they sounded pretty good, but I found there was an annoying rattle in the right side...Not sure if it was an internal structural part or the driver, but given I was going through hell trying to find something good and reliable in the long term, I passed without taking a chance on them. Have not tried the newer AT's. I'm pretty brutal on my headphones. (and my ears!) They're usually pounded pretty hard when I'm laying stuff down, especially when I'm adding parts, or a solo...Just tend to increase the volume as my ears adapt. How long have you had the AT's?

I was trying to think of the best way to describe what I'm hearing with mine...in case others of you have experienced this in your search for good headphones. I guess "papery".
    They do this thing to my tone...Right now, I run a 74' Marshall Super Lead, with a '67 Hiwatt cab loaded with Greenbacks, mic with Shure SM-57's, and a nice collection of mic pre's, but the tone I hear in the 'phones sounds more like I'm mic'ing a cheap solid state amp with clipping transistors and a 5" speaker! I have not changed my base settings from my old headphones, but when I've tried to tweak the settings a little, I'm compromising a lot tone wise. With my usual settings through the monitors, you take the 'phones off, and listen to the amp, and it sounds perfect, and classic Marshall tone! It's like "WTF?" lol. I'd record just with the monitors if I could, but it's not always possible because of bleed.
    This has been a real pain, and has kept me from laying anything down of substance for months now.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Ive used Sony MDR-V600's for years.
    Im wearing them right now.

The best ive used.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    Ive used Sony MDR-V600's for years.
    Im wearing them right now.

The best ive used.
    Oooh...what else are you wearing?

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

What Burning Tires said: Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Oooh...what else are you wearing?
    Took this just for u!

http://instagram.com/p/Wk6UkZAKXA/

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!

My bio.

"Like" me on Facebook!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Haha!. Thought the 'stash was gonna be part of the pic.
    It's gone!!!!!
    Thanks for the info on the headphones guys. Gonna have to check out the AT's and Sony's. I was really hoping someone would mention a Sony model. Their stuff usually lasts forever. I just had higher expectations for a couple models I tried. They were just too bass heavy, but I'll check out your recommendation Johnny.
    Thanks again guys.
    Keep you posted.
    JJ.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Haha!. Thought the 'stash was gonna be part of the pic.
    It's gone!!!!!
    Thanks for the info on the headphones guys. Gonna have to check out the AT's and Sony's. I was really hoping someone would mention a Sony model. Their stuff usually lasts forever. I just had higher expectations for a couple models I tried. They were just too bass heavy, but I'll check out your recommendation Johnny.
    Thanks again guys.
    Keep you posted.
    JJ.
    LOL!

Yeah it's gone.

The Sony's i have ive had for 10 years.
    Still great!
    Not bass heavy to me at all.

My bio.

"Like" me on Facebook!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    What Burning Tires said: Audio Technica ATH-M50's.
    Yep. ATH-M50. Love them. My Brother was using Grotto. Had at least two pair. After trying my ATH-M50, he's switched. And he does a lot of guitar recording too.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I did a little recording with a guy last night. He brought over a pair of Shure SRH440's and accidentally left them here. Tried them out for a few minutes this AM. They sound alright, too.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

HA HA HA!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Default Much thank!

Just wanted to take the time to thank all of you who responded to my thread.
    I settled on a set of AKG 240 MKII's.
    Just great headphones, and a real pleasure to use over extended periods. They came with two 3m. cord options, both straight, and coiled, two earpiece choices, both very good.
    They are 55ohm. impedance rated which is real nicely balanced frequency response wise.

If anyone has been in a predicament like I have, in trying to find a replacement for good set after years of using a trusted pair, I'd highly recommend them.

Thanks again!
    JJ

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I should mention that the ATH-M50's were in the running.
    They were so close to the AKG's, it came down to price point. Mine were on sale , and I saved 70 bucks on 'em. The other thing that sold me was the fit and comfort of the AKG's. I've always dug the design.
    I engineered my buddy's band's EP on Saturday with them, and it turned out great. I've gotta master it tonight, so will see how they do in that respect.
    Thanks again guys.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post

Thanks again!
    JJ
    Very interesting -- and thanks for the feedback as usual!

One thing I wanna point out (for anyone lurking this thread) is that the ones you got are NOT these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S

I have those, and I'm getting to where I almost despise them. I should have forked over the extra $$$ and gotten the MKII's. These 2 models may look the same, but they are NOT even close. All the things you described about the MKII's, my 240 STUDIOS' are the opposite. Nearly unusable for mixing or dialing in tone.

I certainly don't claim to have "golden ears", but when referencing anything I hear on my 240 Studios' against what I'm hearing in my treated control room on my KRK Rokit 6G2's and Yamaha NS-10S's driven by a VERY high end Carver power amp, it's just not even in the ballpark. The 240 Studios just don't translate for individual tone tweaking OR mixing/mastering.

I've been looking at the ATH-M50's, but I think I'll check out the MKII's as well... one thing about that physical design, which is the same as my 240 Studios, is that they are SUPER comfy to wear all day. Or maybe I should just spend the $$$ and get what I REALLY want.... Ultrasones.... if you haven't heard any of their $350+ range headphones, you need to someday... it's an experience!