Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Default New DLR interview to Daily Telegraph (AU)

Enjoy (especially if you've always wanted to know the name of DLR's, er, little friend):

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sca...-1226583650251

Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth likes to talk. Kathy McCabe goes along for the wild ride.
    KM: You are finally playing in Australia after coming close a couple of times in recent years.
    DLR: You're going to have to ask the rhythm section about that one. Kathy, I myself am a traveller. And let me carry with that an explanation that all those who wander are not necessarily lost. I'm calling you from Tokyo, in fact.
    KM: OK, getting back to the point, is the concert in Australia part of your quest to get Van Halen out of America and touring the world again?
    DLR: Clearly. The Van Halens, I think, are just now starting to value that which once was, which was the capacity to experience other worlds, other communities, particularly when you are a stranger in a stranger land. I find that so refreshing. And you gotta be prepared to be a beginner, you gotta be prepared to not have your cheesburger and fries, you gotta be prepared for a lot.
    In the days back when, we would come off the road after a full year out, I would walk straight though to the international terminal and head for an adventure. I have earned the stars and scars. Kathy, we were shooting some film the other day and I said to the make-up lady in Japanese: 'You see there are eight lines on my forehead? Each one is named after an ex-girlfriend'. And she points to the third and says and "Which one is this, Dave?" "That's Stacey from Dallas."
    KM: Do you have any particularly good or bad memories of Australia?
    DLR: My godfather was Roger Shipton and he was in government, he was in Melbourne. He was the one who taught me at an early age that when Americans say "Whenever you're in town come by and stay at my place," that Australians will. He and his family stayed at my house in Pasadena, I have a tomb with a view in California.
    KM: Are you aware of the movie Stone that the festival you are playing in Sydney is based on?
    DLR: I've read the work up on it; I've seen part of it through the YouTube etc. It has not reached the American shores through rock'n'roll; it reached the shores through cinephiles like Tarantino and Rodriguez and the post-baby boomers who have had the internet at their fingers.
    I was not so lucky. I have one regret in showbiz - I didn't have the f ... kin' internet. I had to wait to get to New York to buy dance music, I had to wait to get to Texas to meet Stacey and buy country music. I had no idea what was going on in our backyard, until I was actually there. There's no bitterness about Van Halen's political ups and downs, there's no bitterness about "Gee, we could have made that record better". My bitterness is "Man, if I'd had that instrument to learn from, what we could have done?"
    KM: Is there still that fire in the belly when you walk on stage?
    DLR: That fire starts down around little Elvis long before it reaches the belly. Yeah, I named my dick. Actually I think it was Stacey who did. You think I'm kidding?
    My fire starts long before we even start to rehearse let alone get to the stage. I collect music, like, by weight. There are still three Tower Record stores here, four floors of actual CDs, you can hold them in your hands like belt buckles. If I cup my hands I can pile CDs all the way up to my chin. I myself have four or five things I really love to listen to and I am able to investigate deeply into that here. I listen constantly and I sing and dance constantly. I chose this apartment because it has a cool wooden floor and with the right socks you can get a four-foot slide.

Stone Music Festival, ANZ Stadium; April 20 (Van Halen, Jimmy Barnes, Kings Of Chaos, The Living End and more) and April 21 (Billy Joel, Icehouse, Guy Sebastian, Lifehouse and more), ticketek.com.au, stonemusicfest.com
    - See more at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sca....1aIsSfTF.dpuf
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

"That fire starts down around little Elvis long before it reaches the belly. Yeah, I named my dick."

Classic.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Weekend With The Babysitter.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Default a day late and a $ short

[QUOTE=Little Dreamer;1594152]Enjoy (especially if you've always wanted to know the name of DLR's, er, little friend):

Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth likes to talk. Kathy McCabe goes along for the wild ride.
    K

I shared this a few days ago

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looks to be only one show down here. Sigh...
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Daves mouth is almost moving like the old days latley. Thats not going to sit well on Howdy Doody Mountain but I love it.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Daves mouth is almost moving like the old days latley. Thats not going to sit well on Howdy Doody Mountain but I love it.
    Or maybe Howdy Doody Mountain is fully on board with Dave talking to the press. They know he's not only good at it but loves doing it. They, on the other hand, are neither good at it nor enjoy doing it. Therefore, they may be fully on board with him acting as the mouthpiece and moving full steam ahead. Just a thought....
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Or maybe Howdy Doody Mountain is fully on board with Dave talking to the press. They know he's not only good at it but loves doing it. They, on the other hand, are neither good at it nor enjoy doing it. Therefore, they may be fully on board with him acting as the mouthpiece and moving full steam ahead. Just a thought....
    Yeah, I still don't get people who assume that they know how the Van Halen's are reacting to stuff.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&M's View Post
    Yeah, I still don't get people who assume that they know how the Van Halen's are reacting to stuff.
    Not hard to figure out, they figure history tends to repeat itself.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post
    Not hard to figure out, they figure history tends to repeat itself.
    That's true sometimes and not true sometimes. That is why history is not always an accurate indicator of what is going on or what will happen. Especially if you're not on the inside. If you've ever read the Guns of August it's an example of how people making assumptions about the other side can lead to not only to war but millions of people being killed needlessly just because of perceived "history".

I don't care what the VH camp has done in the past, only a select few really know what is going on or how they go about making decisions anymore, and I would assert that there are only a select few here who have even a sliver of a chance getting word from someone who is on the inside.

Case in point, Dave talks to Rolling Stone, then we get "Oh Dave is shooting his mouth off. THis band is done. The VH's are pissed I'm sure". A day or two later the Australian dates are announced. I chuckle at the folks who think they know what's going down cuz it's pretty clear to me that they don't and I don't.
    Last edited by NoBrownM&M's; 03.01.13 at 07:20 AM.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&M's View Post
    That's true sometimes and not true sometimes.
    True or not doesn't enter into it. You said you didn't get it, I answered.
    Geez, I just hope millions of people don't get killed over anyone speculating on this board...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

True or not doesn't enter into it. You said you didn't get it, I answered.
    Geez, I just hope millions of people don't get killed over anyone speculating on this board...
    I don't see much speculation. I see people making sweeping declarations as to "what is really going on".

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

True or not doesn't enter into it.
    How bout Hope and Faith? Or, are they just a couple of strippers from Albuquerque?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Enjoy (especially if you've always wanted to know the name of DLR's, er, little friend):

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sca...-1226583650251

KM: You are finally playing in Australia after coming close a couple of times in recent years.

DLR: You're going to have to ask the rhythm section about that one. Kathy, I myself am a traveller. And let me carry with that an explanation that all those who wander are not necessarily lost. I'm calling you from Tokyo, in fact.

KM: OK, getting back to the point, is the concert in Australia part of your quest to get Van Halen out of America and touring the world again?

DLR: Clearly. The Van Halens, I think, are just now starting to value that which once was, which was the capacity to experience other worlds, other communities, particularly when you are a stranger in a stranger land. I find that so refreshing. And you gotta be prepared to be a beginner, you gotta be prepared to not have your cheesburger and fries, you gotta be prepared for a lot.

In the days back when, we would come off the road after a full year out, I would walk straight though to the international terminal and head for an adventure. I have earned the stars and scars. Kathy, we were shooting some film the other day and I said to the make-up lady in Japanese: 'You see there are eight lines on my forehead? Each one is named after an ex-girlfriend'. And she points to the third and says and "Which one is this, Dave?" "That's Stacey from Dallas."

KM: Do you have any particularly good or bad memories of Australia?

DLR: My godfather was Roger Shipton and he was in government, he was in Melbourne. He was the one who taught me at an early age that when Americans say "Whenever you're in town come by and stay at my place," that Australians will. He and his family stayed at my house in Pasadena, I have a tomb with a view in California.

KM: Are you aware of the movie Stone that the festival you are playing in Sydney is based on?

DLR: I've read the work up on it; I've seen part of it through the YouTube etc. It has not reached the American shores through rock'n'roll; it reached the shores through cinephiles like Tarantino and Rodriguez and the post-baby boomers who have had the internet at their fingers.

I was not so lucky. I have one regret in showbiz - I didn't have the f ... kin' internet. I had to wait to get to New York to buy dance music, I had to wait to get to Texas to meet Stacey and buy country music. I had no idea what was going on in our backyard, until I was actually there. There's no bitterness about Van Halen's political ups and downs, there's no bitterness about "Gee, we could have made that record better". My bitterness is "Man, if I'd had that instrument to learn from, what we could have done?"

KM: Is there still that fire in the belly when you walk on stage?

DLR: That fire starts down around little Elvis long before it reaches the belly. Yeah, I named my dick. Actually I think it was Stacey who did. You think I'm kidding?
    My fire starts long before we even start to rehearse let alone get to the stage. I collect music, like, by weight. There are still three Tower Record stores here, four floors of actual CDs, you can hold them in your hands like belt buckles. If I cup my hands I can pile CDs all the way up to my chin. I myself have four or five things I really love to listen to and I am able to investigate deeply into that here. I listen constantly and I sing and dance constantly. I chose this apartment because it has a cool wooden floor and with the right socks you can get a four-foot slide.
    There! I feel better now. Hope i'm not the only one that gets bugged by that shit.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    How bout Hope and Faith? Or, are they just a couple of strippers from Albuquerque?

Nah, they were coffee girls in Washington State
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.