Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Missing Canadian woman found dead in hotel water tank

oh wow, after reading this, I would take sewage running down the walls of a cruise ship over this vacation nightmare any day....so next time your travel agent tells you he found a great hotel at a cheap price near SKID ROW, tell him to keep looking

From Fox news

LOS ANGELES Canadian tourist Elisa Lam had been missing for about two weeks when officials at the historic Cecil Hotel in downtown Los Angeles found her body in a water cistern on the hotel roof.

Guest complaints about low water pressure prompted a maintenance worker to make the gruesome discovery Tuesday, and officials were trying to determine if the 21 year old was killed or if her death was just a bizarre accident.

The discovery of Lam's body called into question the safety of the hotel's water. She was found in one of four cisterns that provide guests with water for washing and drinking. Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials issued a do-not-drink order while a lab analyzes the hotel water, said Terrance Powell, a director coordinating the department's response. The results of the lab tests were expected to be released Thursday.

Powell said the likelihood of contamination is minimal given the large amount of water the body was found in, but the department is being extra cautious.

LAPD Sgt. Rudy Lopez called Lam's death suspicious. Before she died, hotel surveillance footage showed her inside an elevator pushing buttons and sticking her head out the doors, looking in both directions.

Lam, of Vancouver, British Columbia, traveled alone to Los Angeles on Jan. 26 and was last seen five days later by workers at the 600-room hotel near Skid Row.

The cisterns are on a platform at least 10 feet above the roof. To get to the tanks, someone would have to go to the top floor then take a staircase with a locked door and emergency alarm preventing roof access.

Another ladder would have to be taken to the platform and a person would have to climb the side of the tank. Lopez said there are no security cameras on the roof.

Lam intended to travel to Santa Cruz, about 350 miles north of Los Angeles. Officials said she tended to use public transportation and had been in touch with her family daily until she disappeared.

The $65-a-night Cecil Hotel was built in the 1920s and refurbished several years ago. The hotel is on Main Street in a part of downtown where efforts at gentrification often conflicts with homelessness and crime. It had once been the occasional home of infamous serial killers such as Richard Ramirez, known as the Night Stalker, and Austrian prison author Jack Unterweger, who was convicted of murdering nine prostitutes in Europe and the U.S., the Los Angeles Times reported.

By noon Wednesday, the Cecil Hotel had relocated 27 rooms used by guests to another hotel, but 11 rooms remained filled, Powell said. Those who chose to remain in the hotel were required to sign a waiver in which they acknowledged being informed of the health risks and were being provided bottled water, Powell said.

British tourist Michael Baugh and his wife said water had only trickled from the tap for days before the body was found.

"The moment we found out, we felt a bit sick to the stomach, quite literally," Baugh said.

County health inspection records show the hotel had minor violations over the past year for mold from the rim of a bath tub and a broken window in a laundry room. There also were complaints on two occasions of bed bugs, but inspectors didn't find any.

Baugh and his wife, who were on their first trip to the U.S., had planned to go to SeaWorld on Wednesday. Instead, they were trying to find a new hotel. Their tour agency placed them in another downtown hotel with a less than sterling reputation, from what they heard.

"We're just going from one dodgy place to another," Baugh said, resigned, "but at least there's water."

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Been following this for a couple of days. Very sad. The video of her in the elevator is pretty weird. She is looking everywhere and then hits all the buttons.

And who can afford airplane tickets to LA from Britain but then stays at the Cecil Hotel? I've only driven by Skid row and that was scary enough.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

This is tragic, and totally disgusting. That water was bound to have many pathogens in it, all being ingested by the guests.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

A 21-year-old woman whose body was found in a water tank of a Los Angeles hotel in February was the victim of an accidental drowning, medical examiners reported Thursday.
    Fri June 21, 2013

The decomposing body of Elisa Lam floated inside a water tank on the roof of the Cecil Hotel while guests brushed their teeth, bathed and drank water from it for as long as 19 days. A maintenance worker, checking on complaints about the hotel's water, found the Canadian tourist inside one of four water cisterns.

Tests conducted by the city Health Department found no harmful bacteria in the tank or the pipes, which had to be drained, flushed and sanitized after the discovery.

Los Angeles robbery-homicide detectives had treated the case as a suspicious death, since falling into a covered water tank behind a locked door on top of a roof would be an unusual accident, Los Angeles Police Sgt. Rudy Lopez said in February.

Lam checked into the Cecil Hotel on January 26, on her way to Santa Cruz, California, according to police in her hometown of Vancouver, British Columbia.

Five days later, she was seen on a security camera video walking into the elevator, pushing the buttons for four floors and then peering out of the opened elevator door as if she is hiding or looking for someone.

Clad in a red hoodie, Lam at one point walks out of the elevator before returning to it, pushing the buttons again. She then stands outside the open elevator doorway, motioning with her hands, before apparently walking away. It was the last day Lam was seen.

Lam's parents reported the University of British Columbia student missing in early February. Her daily calls home stopped on January 31, police told reporters on February 6 at a Los Angeles news conference.

Strange things began happening with the hotel's water supply later in the month, according to Sabina and Michael Baugh, a British couple who spent eight days there. The water pressure dropped to a trickle at times.

"The shower was awful," Sabina Baugh said. "When you turned the tap on, the water was coming black first for two seconds and then it was going back to normal."

The tap water "tasted horrible," Baugh said. "It had a very funny, sweety, disgusting taste. It's a very strange taste. I can barely describe it."

But for a week, they never complained. "We never thought anything of it," she said. "We thought it was just the way it was here."

Two former guests, Steven and Gloria Cott, filed a class-action lawsuit against the hotel in late February.

The lawsuit claims the hotel effectively failed to meet its obligation to provide proper water.

"Instead, the defendants provided water that had been contaminated by human remains and was not fit for human ingestion or to use to wash," the lawsuit states, claiming the Cotts believe that water was "tainted."
    Last edited by voivod; 06.21.13 at 04:52 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Go figure. Somebody took the opportunity to file a lawsuit.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

I'm actually ok with this lawsuit. I don't think it's expecting too much of the hotel you're staying at to ask that the drinking water doesn't have parts of a human in it.

I still don't get how this death is an accident. Seems a little too strange to me.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Not sure how anyone can reasonably expect a hotel to check it's water tanks for dead bodies.

If the body was weighted down, you wouldn't know it unless you drained the tanks and actually inspected them.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    A 21-year-old woman whose body was found in a water tank of a Los Angeles hotel in February was the victim of an accidental drowning, medical examiners reported Thursday.
    Fri June 21, 2013

The tap water "tasted horrible," Baugh said. "It had a very funny, sweety, disgusting taste. It's a very strange taste. I can barely describe it."
    Well.

She was Canadian.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Not sure how anyone can reasonably expect a hotel to check it's water tanks for dead bodies.

If the body was weighted down, you wouldn't know it unless you drained the tanks and actually inspected them.
    was there an alarm on the door that allowed one access to the roof? Did it go off? Was there a lock on the water tanks to ensure someone an unauthorized person couldn't access them? These are questions that a court should probably look at. If someone went up there and poisoned the water supply of the hotel and killed a bunch of people then I bet there'd be an issue for them.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

She seems to be stoned out of her gourd in that elevator video.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    She seems to be stoned out of her gourd in that elevator video.
    That seems like the only logical explanation for this to be an accident.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    was there an alarm on the door that allowed one access to the roof? Did it go off? Was there a lock on the water tanks to ensure someone an unauthorized person couldn't access them? These are questions that a court should probably look at. If someone went up there and poisoned the water supply of the hotel and killed a bunch of people then I bet there'd be an issue for them.
    Good points all, I just don't think expecting them to look for a dead body in the tanks is reasonable. All your other points, yes, that is basic internal control.

Which begs the question, if all those controls are in place (big if, I know), how did the body get in the tank?

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    That seems like the only logical explanation for this to be an accident.
    If she was just dead and found later in some little alcove of the roof dead from the elements, I could agree.

But she was actually inside one of the water tanks, I don't think those are set up so someone just accidentally falls into one while stoned.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Good points all, I just don't think expecting them to look for a dead body in the tanks is reasonable. All your other points, yes, that is basic internal control.

Which begs the question, if all those controls are in place (big if, I know), how did the body get in the tank?
    the location of the hotel leads me to believe these internal controls may not have been in place at all.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I would assume water safety would be subject to regulation, especially water that seems not just grey water but water used for consumption and food preparation.

But assuming that someone is doing their job is a BIG assumption.