Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Default Ed and Stevie Stevens at NAMM Kramer event

I came across this cool video earlier tonight its pretty awesome and the skill of ed and Stevie is unbelievable.

Give it a listen its not the best quality but still amazing

Janie Liszewski did the IMPOSSIBLE she helped Eddie Van Halen get better. Deal with it.

The day is dunzo lets have some funzo- DLR AS IS

Somedays you're the dog Somedays you're the hydrant- DLR Bullethead

It's not who you squeeze but who returns to squeeze you, no doubt, love em all I says let cupid sort em out!

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

This is cool, but this is why I would never enjoy seeing Eddie in a G3 event. Eddie is a phenomenal guitar player, but often these things turn into him sandwiching his favorite 20 licks into whatever song is being played. Plus, hearing another guitarist is almost too much. Eddie deserves to be on his own doing his thing, not trying to find space or an appropriate time to step in. He's such a busy player to begin with his fills, rythym, and solo playing, that trying to paste another guitar into the sound just never sounds right to me.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.20.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed...

Obviously Ed is my absolute favourite guitarist. His contribution and body of work elevate him to true genius, but I have always been disappointed seeing Ed jamming live in these situations with other talented guitarist. Give him some time to work on something in his owe way and the Demigod will always bring it.

It makes me question if the Beat it Solo happened the way the legend was written.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

Give the edge to Steve here. Ed was all self-parody.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is cool, but this is why I would never enjoy seeing Eddie in a G3 event. Eddie is a phenomenal guitar player, but often these things turn into him sandwiching his favorite 20 licks into whatever song is being played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    ....but I have always been disappointed seeing Ed jamming live in these situations with other talented guitarist.
    I also agree. Ed just does not lend himself to those types of situations imo. The few times he has through the years, he's always relying on his standard bag of tricks i.e. the horse whinnies, the dive bombs, the elephant sound and won't just jam with the other guys. When you see a Billy Gibbons or a Jeff Beck, or even Jimmy Page, they all seem to flow naturally and just play whatever comes to mind at that particular moment.

A good example of Ed in a group setting is the Les Paul Tribute from back in the eighties where he's on stage with several other heavyweight guitarists. He just does not fit in. Another time in the nineties, he was finally on stage with Billy Sheehan and also friend Steve Lukather. I wasn't that impressed honestly.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

As someone who has watched a shit ton of Eddie solos, I'm always amazed when I watch his canned solo from a concert and you hear some random bit of genius that you've never heard before. It doesn't happen every night, much the same as when we all play guitar. But every once in a while you will hear 30 seconds of something completely different than anything he's ever played (publicly) and it gives me an ear boner.

It's tough to judge, because if you ever listen to a random guitarist for a long period of time the same thing will happen. I can pick an SRV solo out in about 10 seconds because he often repeats the same licks. Satriani does it. Vai does it. All that changes is the size of the bag of tricks. If you aren't familiar with the guitarist everything will sound new.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    As someone who has watched a shit ton of Eddie solos, I'm always amazed when I watch his canned solo from a concert and you hear some random bit of genius that you've never heard before. It doesn't happen every night, much the same as when we all play guitar. But every once in a while you will hear 30 seconds of something completely different than anything he's ever played (publicly) and it gives me an ear boner.

It's tough to judge, because if you ever listen to a random guitarist for a long period of time the same thing will happen. I can pick an SRV solo out in about 10 seconds because he often repeats the same licks. Satriani does it. Vai does it. All that changes is the size of the bag of tricks. If you aren't familiar with the guitarist everything will sound new.
    I was at the San Antonio concert when they started out with this extended version of Unchained. And it gave me the "ear boner" that you so correctly identified. Great new term for my vocabulary.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abe5150 View Post
    I was at the San Antonio concert when they started out with this extended version of Unchained. And it gave me the "ear boner" that you so correctly identified. Great new term for my vocabulary.

liked a lot! thank you very much for the link!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Awesome clip. I've noticed that from all the videos I've watched from the last tour, the best moments--and more importantly, the moments where the audience gives the biggest pop--is when they do those extended jams, namely in Unchained. If they do Unchained without the jam, they get respectful applause, but everyone in the building can recognize musical genius and guys up there just having fun. Just listen to the crowd reaction after that jam--that's what going to a live concert is all about.

Not to get too philosophical, but with all the animosity this band has gone through, I think everyone appreciates when they can see genuine fun and timeless chemistry in person; it gives everyone hope for a moment and makes everyone forget the bullshit and transports them back to a simpler time.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

That was pretty damn cool!!!

Nice close-up of Eddie and Wolf just jamming!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com