Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Scientists call on FDA to crack down on sugary beverages

Scientists and health advocates are joining the Center for Science in the Public Interest today to urge the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to determine a safe level of added sugars for beverages.

The 54-page regulatory petition, which is aimed at helping to reduce Americans’ “dangerously high” consumption of sugar to combat associated health problems, has the support of public health departments in Boston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Seattle, El Paso, Texas, and Portland, Ore., the center said.

High levels of high-fructose corn syrup or sugar in soda and other drinks are unsafe and can cause obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other health problems, according to the center, a nonprofit Washington, D.C.-based health-advocacy group that focuses on nutrition and food safety.

The CSPI is holding a press conference in Washington, D.C., this morning to outline what it’s seeking.

Forty-one leading scientists and physicians, including Walter Willett, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, also signed a letter of support to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg.

“If one were trying to ensure high rates of obesity, diabetes or heart disease in a population, one would feed the population large doses of sugary drinks,” Willett said in a statement. “The evidence is so strong that it is essential that FDA use its authority to make sugary drinks safer.”

A typical 20-ounce bottle of soda contains about 16 teaspoons of sugars from high-fructose corn syrup — much higher than the daily limit recommended by the American Heart Association, which advises consuming no more than six teaspoons of added sugars per day for women and no more than nine teaspoons for men, the center said.

“As currently formulated, Coke, Pepsi and other sugar-based drinks are unsafe for regular human consumption,” CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson said in a statement. “Like a slow-acting, but ruthlessly efficient bioweapon, sugar drinks cause obesity, diabetes and heart disease. The FDA should require the beverage industry to re-engineer their sugary products over several years, making them safer for people to consume and less conducive to disease.”

Soda and other sugar drinks are the single largest source of calories in the American diet, according to the CSPI, and Americans consume an average of 18 and 23 teaspoons of added sugars per day, which equates to about 300 to 400 calories.

The petition requests that the FDA determine a “safe” level of added sugars for use in beverages and require that limit to be phased in by beverage manufacturers over several years.

Some cities and states have recognized that soda and other sugary drinks can contribute to obesity. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has ordered a ban on serving sodas greater than 16 ounces in restaurants and other establishments, and Boston has banned the sale of sugary drinks on city property.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 18,084 Times in 8,934 Posts

Are Americans so fucking stupid on average that we need a government agency to tell us that Coke and other sugar based beverages are bad for us?

Sweet Jesus, it's fucking sugar, carbonic acid, caffeine and a bunch of other fucking chemicals. Anyone with an IQ over 80 should be able to read the label and think "wow, this is really bad for me, maybe I shouldn't drink six of them a day!"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

I'll have a Coke Classic and a Sports Illustrated... to go!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Anyone with an IQ over 80 should be able to read the label and think
    And there is the GOLD on your post!

Me thinks that, "80%" of Americans fall beneath the IQ of 80, in the 21st! Or, so it seems...........

I swear, our country slogan should say, "Please think for me, I can't bare to"!

HH<------final seconds are ticking down, folks--------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Are Americans so fucking stupid on average that we need a government agency to tell us that Coke and other sugar based beverages are bad for us?

Sweet Jesus, it's fucking sugar, carbonic acid, caffeine and a bunch of other fucking chemicals. Anyone with an IQ over 80 should be able to read the label and think "wow, this is really bad for me, maybe I shouldn't drink six of them a day!"
    and look at diet sodas...you think they are healthy? contents are water and chemicals and "natural flavorings and preservatives"

food is full of junk....polypropoline glycol is a preservative...it's also know as RV antifreeze and it's also known as Mira lax..a laxative

castoreum is used as a "natural raspberry flavoring" it is a product extracted from the anal glands of beavers

vanillin is "natural" flavoring derived from wood pulp

l-cysteine is a dough conditioner...it is derived from hair or duck feathers

natural red #4 is made from a beetle

lanolin is oil from sheeps wool and is used in gum base

so I say FDA you don't need to protect me from the obvious stuff like sugar in my soda, but I would appreciate you keeping beaver ass out of my jelly roll

thank you
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 02.13.13 at 03:04 PM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These scientists have really cracked the code havent they?

I'm so glad we have a government that "protects" us by telling us what we can or cannot put into our own bodies.

Plus it's not like the FDA really helps anyone. They allow a certain percentage of "bad" things to be in our food/water supply while in other countries it would be unheard of.

I think next they will mention that smoking and alcohol is bad for you!
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    and look at diet sodas...you think they are healthy? contents are water and chemicals and "natural flavorings and preservatives"

food is full of junk....polypropoline glycol is a preservative...it's also know as RV antifreeze and it's also known as Mira lax..a laxative

castoreum is used as a "natural raspberry flavoring" it is a product extracted from the anal glands of beavers

vanillin is "natural" flavoring derived from wood pulp

l-cysteine is a dough conditioner...it is derived from hair or duck feathers

natural red #4 is made from a beetle

lanolin is oil from sheeps wool and is used in gum base

so I say FDA you don't need to protect me from the obvious stuff like sugar in my soda, but I would appreciate you keeping beaver ass out of my jelly roll

thank you
    I'm sorry Daisy, I'm not sure I see you mentioning anything about the Tofurky! Don't EVER forget the proper props, for the true meat of nutritional values and great taste!

"It taste like a yummy cardboard turkey, but I like it too!!!

FIND TOFURKY AT YOUR FAVORITE GROCERY STORE IN THE FROZEN ISLE!!! TOFURKY, the FDA's only true, " WTF IS THIS SHIT AND HOW DO WE LABLE IT!!", product!

HH<-------that's, Tofurky!! Ummm umm!--------
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 02.13.13 at 03:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

HH............all the hate for tofurkey!

and you haven't even touched on the fungus that's in my artificial beef like product

all in all I would rather have tofu in my 'urkey and fungus in my "beef equivalent" than beaver ass in my jellyroll

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

and you haven't even touched on the fungus that's in my artificial beef like product

all in all I would rather have tofu in my 'urkey and fungus in my "beef equivalent" than beaver ass in my jellyroll
    You know I gotta give ya shit about it! It's a 5 year trend now!!

I respect your respect for the Furk!! Lips and asshole in my Coco Puffs just don't cut it in my book, either! Besides, aren't those, "Cracklin's" chips made of those??

Ugh!!

HH<----on a related note, I believe I found bug poop in the sugar jar at work this morning! Yay!!!!!!!!!--------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Gawddamn.....just fucking leave us alone. Don't eat that, don't watch that, don't think that......

Regulate this, fuckers.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    [B]Some cities and states have recognized that soda and other sugary drinks can contribute to obesity. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has ordered a ban on serving sodas greater than 16 ounces in restaurants and other establishments, and Boston has banned the sale of sugary drinks on city property.

(CNN) -- New York restaurants can continue selling large sugary drinks after an appeals court sided Tuesday with a lower court ruling that found the city's restrictions on such beverages to be "arbitrary and capricious."

The Supreme Court's Appellate Division found that the city's Board of Health "failed to act within the bounds of its lawfully delegated authority" when it moved to ban sugary drinks of more than 16 ounces in New York City restaurants, movie theaters, and other food service establishments.

The court declared the regulation violated the principle of separation of powers.

City officials say they will appeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

This wasted a lot of money. I heard a story where a drink company had just purchased the bottling plant they used before this law was passed in NY. A lot of bottles are measured in mL, and 500mL is a popular size. The problem? That's 16.9oz. So before the law went into effect, they had to either use a new bottle for this area or add a spacer to the bottom of bottles going to the city.

Then, the day before it went into effect it was struck down. But you can't throw out the new bottles because it goes to a higher court...

What a waste for a terrible law.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 11,726 Times in 6,497 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    (CNN) -- New York restaurants can continue selling large sugary drinks after an appeals court sided Tuesday with a lower court ruling that found the city's restrictions on such beverages to be "arbitrary and capricious."

The Supreme Court's Appellate Division found that the city's Board of Health "failed to act within the bounds of its lawfully delegated authority" when it moved to ban sugary drinks of more than 16 ounces in New York City restaurants, movie theaters, and other food service establishments.

The court declared the regulation violated the principle of separation of powers.

City officials say they will appeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

City Loses Final Appeal on Limiting Sales of Large Sodas

The final straw: NYC loses last appeal on big-soda ban
    26 June 2014,

The state Court of Appeals today ruled that New York can’t go forward with its ban on big sodas—the final straw in the landmark case.

“We hold that the New York City Board of Health, in adopting the “Sugary Drinks Portion Cap Rule”, exceeded the scope of its regulatory authority,” the court ruled. “By choosing among competing policy goals, without any legislative delegation or guidance, the Board engaged in law-making and thus infringed upon the legislative jurisdiction of the City Council of New York.”

It’s the end of the road for former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s ban on large sugary drinks, which was installed in 2012. The ban was ensnared in court since it was approved by the city, and lower court rejected the ban.

The city asked the state’s highest court to ban the sale of sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces, saying it would improve the health of New Yorkers. But stores and the beverage industry sued, saying the city is overstepping its bounds.

And the court agreed.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2014...-big-soda-ban/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Must be a guy thing because "beaver ass" sounds like the best of both worlds to me..........
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

I haven't had a soft drink in since Jan 2nd.

Well, I drink Kool-Aid with 50% less sugar now. It's 14 g's of sugar per 16.9 oz of water compared to 40 g's of sugar per 12 oz can of coke. Plus I drink plain old water sometimes also. I just got tired of feeling like shit after drinking coke.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 06.26.14 at 09:10 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw