Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.31.12 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was trying to analysis whether the reunion hold up is alegal thing, an ego thing, or a health thing. And it began to dawn on me that Ed's cancer would actually be a legal problem preventing a reunion.

When a band tours, they are financed by backers. The same goes for making an album. One of the first thing any financial backer is going to ask for is that the performers are insured.

If a backer pays 10 million dollars for a tour and Ed has to cancel the tour because of cancer; then that backer loses his money, plus whatever legal issues arise.

The backer would certainly want to take out insurance on Ed to hedge against the possibility of him not being able to perform. If Ed has cancer (even if its not life threatening) the cost of that insurance would be enormous if he could even get insurance.

There is no way anyone would finance a Van Halen reunion without that insurance. The reunion or album can't happen without ED, so its very likely that everyone is waiting until Ed is officially stamped cancer free, and reasonable insurance can be purchased for him.

This seems to fit into the chain of events. Ed probably is healthy, but not 100% cancer free. Still that would prevent him from getting insurance. In fact, I would assume that most insurers would want Ed to be cancer free for at least one year before insuring him.

NO ONE is going to back the tour and album without this insurance. Even if Van Halen themselves financed the tour, they would probably need this insurance, as it is likely they could lose more than they own if Ed has to pull out of a tour. Plus Dave would probably want that kind of guarantee that his money is safe.

To sum it up, Ed may be fine, but he may not be insurable for some time. This is not the kind of news Van Halen is going to publicize, so the silence continues.

[ January 11, 2002 at 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Nerf Herder ]</p>
    "The last singer was a singer, I am THE singer" - DLR

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

more than being a legal issue, Ed's health is his own business, not ours.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by twonabomber:
    more than being a legal issue, Ed's health is his own business, not ours.<hr></blockquote>

Correct, I agree. However a financial backer is going to need Ed, Alex, Dave and Mike to be insured. If one of them can't get insurance, FOR ANY REASON then the reunion is not going to happen.

So if we are going to discuss why there is no reunion, we have to accept that Ed's lack of ability to get insurance is a good possibility since we know he had cancer.

No need to stock him, or steal his medical file, but it is a valid discussion point.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Nerf, this is the best analogy/speculation I've seen in long time. It makes sense too. My hat's off to you bro!!!! You may have nailed it down!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

no one can underestimate the seriousness of ed's cancer.
    even if he's beating it, he still has that crap eating him up.
    don't you think being on tour in a situation he hates is the last friggin' thing he wants?

look, the band doesn't hate its fans. they are very bad at communicating with us, but they've never been good at it since they stopped making their own flyers before they got a record deal.

this isn't new.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nerf Herder:

Correct, I agree. However a financial backer is going to need Ed, Alex, Dave and Mike to be insured. If one of them can't get insurance, FOR ANY REASON then the reunion is not going to happen.

So if we are going to discuss why there is no reunion, we have to accept that Ed's lack of ability to get insurance is a good possibility since we know he had cancer.

No need to stock him, or steal his medical file, but it is a valid discussion point.
    <hr></blockquote>

This is the most original thread I've seen in a long time. Thanks for a different perspective.

I suppose since you brought up insuring all of the band members, we have to take a good look at Al, also. He has some sort of thing going on with his neck that gets progressively worse, I think
    and he hasn't been seen at all. Maybe it's time to look at the possibility that both brothers have health issues going on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Interesting point, nerfherder. Haven't seen that one brought up by anyone before! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the next one
    Favorite VH Song

the next one
    Last Online

07.05.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not too sure about that, IMO.

Some guy is trying to buy HALF of the Red Sox for $740 MILLION DOLLARS.

There are plenty of people that have the money to back a tour with of this magnitude. The potential reward is much too big not to at least TRY to tour.

Just my thoughts.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

um, the reunion can still happen if ed has cancer, you just may have to wait a little longer. be careful what you mean by that. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    and yes, this is definitely an interesting idea. it could very well be a possibility.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sunday Afternoon:
    Not too sure about that, IMO.

Some guy is trying to buy HALF of the Red Sox for $740 MILLION DOLLARS.

There are plenty of people that have the money to back a tour with of this magnitude. The potential reward is much too big not to at least TRY to tour.

Just my thoughts.
    <hr></blockquote>

This is actually different than buying a sports franchise.

The guy in your example is buying something he can sell (ie:A proffesional baseball franchise). Even if all the players die, and the stadium burns to the ground, he can still sell his franchise at a good price.

In the case of the reunion tour, the only thing you are financing is Ed, Al, Mike and Dave's services. If one of them is very sick or dies (god forbid) there is nothing to sell. The money invested in stadium rental, stage equipment rental, promotion, contract negotiations and labour contracts is gone. Only insurance can make up a portion of that loss.

That is why it is vital Ed has insurance. With out it, there is no reunion.

[ January 11, 2002 at 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Nerf Herder ]</p>

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is interesting, but it still makes no sense to me. What kind of insurance are you talking about? I work with insurance policies on a daily basis and I cannot even conceive of what type of policy this would involve.

Maybe I'm missing something... Nerf did you have a specific type of policy in mind?

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My last post didn't show up... PTSP!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

great theory here nerf! good job

this is kinda scary man, i mean, look at this....gene simmons played for frikkin years with ace frehley and ace looks like shit. and with all the band has been through, for gene to say to say a prayer for ed, it must be real serious.

waiting is the worst part, i just wish i knew what was happeneing

JMJ [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

[ January 11, 2002 at 10:26 PM: Message edited by: JMJ ]</p>
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Nerf Herder: I have to agree w/ Guitar Shark in that this insurance coverage does not make a lot of sense. I have seen a couple of promotion contracts before, and the only provisions for "insurance" I have seen are for health/safety issues that might come into play for accidents that happen at the performance site.

What you are proposing is actually covered in the "Promotor's Contract" as a liquidated damages clause for failure to perform or fulfill the contract. This is the typical form of "insurance" that a financial backer or promoter might need.

For instance, a clause in a contract might read:

"If Van Halen fails to perform on (x date), Van Halen will pay (x dollar amount) to Backer as liquidated damages."

This example is an obvious oversimplification, but that is the general form that it would take.

I'm not saying that what you posted is necessarily implausible or wrong, but my experience and instincts tell me that this situation is handled w/in the contract as a "failure to perform" clause w/ liquidated damages attached as insurance against whatever the failure may be.
    "The love, the echoes of long ago . . . You needed the world to know, they are in Xanadu . . ."

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the next one
    Favorite VH Song

the next one
    Last Online

07.05.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nerf Herder:

This is actually different than buying a sports franchise.

The guy in your example is buying something he can sell (ie:A proffesional baseball franchise). Even if all the players die, and the stadium burns to the ground, he can still sell his franchise at a good price.

In the case of the reunion tour, the only thing you are financing is Ed, Al, Mike and Dave's services. If one of them is very sick or dies (god forbid) there is nothing to sell. The money invested in stadium rental, stage equipment rental, promotion, contract negotiations and labour contracts is gone. Only insurance can make up a portion of that loss.

That is why it is vital Ed has insurance. With out it, there is no reunion.

[ January 11, 2002 at 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Nerf Herder ]
    <hr></blockquote>
    Maybe I was a little unclear.

I'm saying that there are many people that could invest $20-30 million dollars on the chance of making a couple hundred million on this reunion and not blink if they lost all $30 million...