Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign, Cites Ill Health

Pope Benedict XVI Says He Will Resign, Cites Ill Health

By ELISABETTA POVOLEDO and ALAN COWELL
    ROME — Pope Benedict XVI, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger who took office in 2005 following the death of his predecessor, said on Monday that he will resign on Feb. 28, the first pope to do so in six centuries.

Regarded as a doctrinal conservative, the pope, 85, said that after examining his conscience “before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are longer suited to an adequate exercise” of his position as head of the world’s Roman Catholics.

The announcement is certain to plunge the Roman Catholic world into frenzied speculation about his likely successor and to evaluations of a papacy that was seen as both conservative and contentious.

In a statement in several languages, the pope said his “strength of mind and body” had “deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.”

Elected on April 19, 2005, Pope Benedict said his papacy would end on Feb. 28.

He was a popular choice within the college of 115 cardinals who elected him as a man who shared — and at times went beyond — the conservative theology of his predecessor and mentor, John Paul II, and seemed ready to take over the job after serving beside him for more than two decades.

When he took office, Pope Benedict’s well-known stands included the assertion that Catholicism is “true” and other religions are “deficient;” that the modern, secular world, especially in Europe, is spiritually weak; and that Catholicism is in competition with Islam. He had also strongly opposed homosexuality, the ordination of women priests and stem cell research.

Born on April 16, 1927, in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, he was the son of a police officer. He was ordained in 1951, at age 24, and began his career as a liberal academic and theological adviser at the Second Vatican Council, supporting many efforts to make the church more open.

But he moved theologically and politically to the right. Pope Paul VI named him bishop of Munich in 1977 and appointed him a cardinal within three months. Taking the chief doctrinal job at the Vatican in 1981, he moved with vigor to quash liberation theology in Latin America, cracked down on liberal theologians and in 2000 wrote the contentious Vatican document “’Dominus Jesus,” asserting the truth of Catholic belief over others.

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII, who left the papacy in 1415 to end what was known as the Western Schism among several competitors for the papacy.

Benedict’s papacy was caught up in growing sexual abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church that crept ever closer to the Vatican itself.

In 2010, as outrage built over clerical abuses, some voices called for his resignation, their demands fueled by reports that laid part of blame at his doorstep, citing his response both as a bishop long ago in Germany and as a cardinal heading the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which handles such cases.

In one disclosure, news emerged that in 1985, when Benedict was Cardinal Ratzinger, he signed a letter putting off efforts to defrock a convicted child-molesting priest. He cited the priest’s relative youth but also the good of the church.

Vatican officials and experts who follow the papacy closely dismissed the idea of stepping down at the time. “There is no objective motive to think in terms of resignation, absolutely no motive,” said the Rev. Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman. “It’s a completely unfounded idea.”

In the final years of John Paul II’s papacy, which were dogged by illness, Cardinal Ratzinger had spoken in favor of the resignation of incapacitated popes. If John Paul “sees that he absolutely cannot do it anymore, then certainly he will resign,” he said at the time.

In 2006, less than two years into his papacy, Benedict also stirred ire across the Muslim world, referring in a long, scholarly address to a conversation on the truths of Christianity and Islam that took place between a 14th-century Byzantine Christian emperor, Manuel II Paleologus, and a Persian scholar.

“The emperor comes to speak about the issue of jihad, holy war,” the pope said. “He said, I quote, ‘Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.’”

While making clear that he was quoting someone else, Benedict did not say whether he agreed or not. He also briefly discussed the Islamic concept of jihad, which he defined as “holy war,” and said that violence in the name of religion is contrary to God’s nature and to reason.

Elisabetta Povoledo reported from Rome, and Alan Cowell from London.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/wo...tire.html?_r=0

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

This just in : Pope Benedict resigns after Carly Rae Jepsen gets snubbed at #grammys Says there is no God.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Papal resignation From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

There's no shame in resigning if one feels physically not able to do the job anymore. It takes courage for him to simply because the Papacy is one of those "lifer" gigs. Although I respected Pope John Paul II, those images of him hunched over and drooling over himself and not being able to talk were embarrassing and I for one didn't think "how inspiring" as some Catholics were saying.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Is Obama eligible yet?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,379 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Is Obama eligible yet?
    I think you need to be pro life pro God/Jesus for that job.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

He would be the first Pope from Africa.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

A very hard thing to do I'm sure as Popes do not resign (or atleast haven't in about 600 years or so). But his brother was quoted saying that Pope Benedict was told to not take anymore overseas flights, and his is not a job you can do from home.

Here's hoping they have someone picked in time for Easter.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default FIRST BLACK POPE?

This man is a possibility. There was another Cardinal from Africa that was considered to be in the running back when Benedict was elected.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/...on_pka_en.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    This man is a possibility. There was another Cardinal from Africa that was considered to be in the running back when Benedict was elected.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/...on_pka_en.html

there's a very real chance that they will be pick a Pope from outside of Europe. Not the worst idea in the world.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Here's hoping they have someone picked in time for Easter.
    Jesus hoping to have the day off?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Jesus hoping to have the day off?

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know if you guys are familiar with St. Malachy and the Prophecy of the Popes. According to him, Benedict is the next to last Pope. Malachy called his successor, "Peter the Roman" whose pontificate will end in the destruction of Rome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I don't know if you guys are familiar with St. Malachy and the Prophecy of the Popes. According to him, Benedict is the next to last Pope. Malachy called his successor, "Peter the Roman" whose pontificate will end in the destruction of Rome.

I guess I should let my cousins in Rome know that their city is soon to be destroyed.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Too late. The world already ended in 2012.