Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.16 @ 08:54 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default Amp simulators

I was wondering how y'all feel about Line 6, guitar rig, eleven rack, and so on. Do you find them easy to use with ProTools? Thanks for your time and input.
    Come on Dave give me a break!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

It's more than a decade since I've used a real guitar amp. I've been using Amplitube for two or three years now, and it does sound terrific, with the most intuitive and guitarist friendly interface of any of the software solutions. Unfortunately, however, IK Multimedia's customer service leaves a huge amount to be desired, and they seem to be letting the desktop version of Amplitube slide in favour of their iOS products. It's a real shame because it's still a great product, but I'd struggle to recommend it at the moment unless something changes.

Eleven Rack seems to be suffering a similar fate. From what I see online, Avid seem to be falling behind in their support of the product which is leading to some discontent from their users.

Guitar Rig sounds really good, at least going by the demo, but I find the interface clunky. I'm not up to date on the latest Line 6 stuff, but I thought their HD line was a step backwards for them.

That all seems a bit negative, and probably not much help.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I haven't used an amp since thanks thanksgiving when I bought amplitube. I love it.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

These days, the Axe Fx 2 and the Kemper profiling amps are the top notch simulators. The technology has gotten scary good.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback. I am on the fence about purchasing the eleven rack. I am interested in recording with it and playing live with it as well. I was thinking having all those options of different amp tones at your disposal would be awesome. I have some of the Line 6 products and to me they sound great recording and thru headphones but when going thru an amp inline or the effects loop its lacking to my ear.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    These days, the Axe Fx 2 and the Kemper profiling amps are the top notch simulators. The technology has gotten scary good.
    What's a good setting on the Axe Fx to get a good brown sound?
    Are you using these tools on an iPad?
    Thanks!
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

IMO they suck. They lack the needed dirt for rock.

I just dual mic my Fender Twin with a 57 and a 421, and put a Neumann U 87 out in the room for ambience. Works flawlessly.

They are only good for demo writing and practicing a certain tone where you don't have the equipment handy. But, for recording the final take I would stay away from them. Just rent the needed guitars, amps, effects, mics, and preamps for the final take.

They just sound fake on a real recording.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

That's not true. I've used them on two CD's and not one person has thought it wasn't an amp. In fact a couple people asked me what Marshall I used. The technology is excellent now. I highly recommend Guitar Rig for great sound, although I do agree the interface is a little clunky.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    What's a good setting on the Axe Fx to get a good brown sound?
    Are you using these tools on an iPad?
    Thanks!
    Just visit the Axe Exchange and download the preset...

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/

I should really upload the preset I used for this...

https://soundcloud.com/tommywho/hot-...-featuring-ron
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

When I used to perform live gigs my rig was a PODxt Live. Sound guys loved me and I'd get compliments on my tone all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    IMO they suck. They lack the needed dirt for rock.

I just dual mic my Fender Twin with a 57 and a 421, and put a Neumann U 87 out in the room for ambience. Works flawlessly.

They are only good for demo writing and practicing a certain tone where you don't have the equipment handy. But, for recording the final take I would stay away from them. Just rent the needed guitars, amps, effects, mics, and preamps for the final take.

They just sound fake on a real recording.
    Wait... You're complaining that they lack dirt but you're talking about micing a Fender Twin... The amp known for staying fairly clean with everything dimed. I used to gig with a '66 Dual Showman head. It's basically the Twin without reverb in head form. I'd run that thing dimed for gits and shiggles every so often and it would just start breaking up at the extremes.

Now my blackfaced '69 Bassman... That thing gets crunchy around 6-7.

What most people complain about with modelers is that the cleans are lacking, not the high-gain sounds.

This is a real quick and dirty snippet I did when somebody asked me what the GFS VEH pickup sounded like in my Epi Les Paul Custom. I used my PODxt Live to record it straight into my laptop running Reaper. Everything was presets I programmed. It's a tiny bit sloppy but I think it was around 2am when I recorded it in my living room. LOL

http://geargeek.net/media/veh.mp3
    Last edited by GilmourD; 02.08.13 at 05:53 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look at everything on here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MRJSTUDIOS

All of those videos on the list are studio quality, so you can actually hear what it sounds like without camera audio quality crap on Youtube.

Most of the videos you see there are 100% Eleven Rack direct into the computer (the Fountains of Wayne / One Direction cover video is the exception, as I used my custom tube amp to record the rhythm guitars -- but the solo tone is 11Rack).

The 11R is a great unit. And now it comes with and is totally integrated into Pro Tools 10, which is great. You can re-amp and change your tones after the fact so fast it's ridiculous. (Also make sure the one you buy comes with the Expansion Pack if you do get one -- they added a LOT with that). I've got REALLY nice amps and cabs, and still end up using the 11R about half the time in the studio.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 02.08.13 at 08:01 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks so much mrj for your input on the 11R. I'm really ready to pull the trigger on it. God I love this website! Thanks brothers!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.29.13 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run a Line 6 POD through a Trace Elliot acoustic head. I find the acoustic head allows me to get great response from the POD.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    It's more than a decade since I've used a real guitar amp. I've been using Amplitube for two or three years now, and it does sound terrific, with the most intuitive and guitarist friendly interface of any of the software solutions. Unfortunately, however, IK Multimedia's customer service leaves a huge amount to be desired, and they seem to be letting the desktop version of Amplitube slide in favour of their iOS products. It's a real shame because it's still a great product, but I'd struggle to recommend it at the moment unless something changes.

Eleven Rack seems to be suffering a similar fate. From what I see online, Avid seem to be falling behind in their support of the product which is leading to some discontent from their users.

Guitar Rig sounds really good, at least going by the demo, but I find the interface clunky. I'm not up to date on the latest Line 6 stuff, but I thought their HD line was a step backwards for them.

That all seems a bit negative, and probably not much help.
    I was a huge fan of the Eleven Rack a couple years ago though I never personally owned it. A buddy of mine has one in his studio, so he showed me the ins and outs of it, and I was blown away. I wasn't aware it was also going through the product support issues as well that you mentioned above.
    That's a shame.
    For other hardware based amp simulators, I've tried Line 6, Zoom etc. and let's face it, they all sound pretty damned good on certain aspects. Often it's very hard to tell that you're not using a real amp if you take time to craft the sound and not overdo it with effects ahead of time in terms of recording (which is easy to do)...Even harder if you're using an outboard dedicated speaker emulator.
    To my ear though, the Eleven Rack is the best. I hope they get their act together.
    It's a shame though that these things are going on. Is it just a scenario where the technology is advancing so fast, and they abandon a previous design, or more a fact that the public is just overwhelmed with the options that there isn't the validity in providing product specific support?
    Tough call.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.19.13 at 12:31 PM.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Wait... You're complaining that they lack dirt but you're talking about micing a Fender Twin...
    Your right, I should have clarified something.

It's the newer "2010 Pro-Tube Series Fender Twin Amp", or "Twin Amp", not the standard Fender Twin.

Fender added an amazing high-gain channel, that delivers great saturated distortion. Maybe not "dirty", but definitely insanely tough sounding.

Also has a cool rear 1/4-power switch that drops voltage in half... to get the breakup at usable bedroom volume levels.

It's great for recording a wide variety of styles. Not nu-metal, but almost everything else.

Best amp I've ever had. Inspiring.