Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

A. V. Club article

Just out cruising the interwebs and found this article.
    The uneven alchemy of Van Halen’s “Runnin’ With The Devil”
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Where can I sign up, to get paid to write such drivel? Must be an amazing job.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In other words, he’s pretty much an idiot. Or rather, he’s auditioning for the part of rock’s reigning idiot savant. Too impetuous to wait for a callback, he just went ahead and gave himself the role. You may genuflect now. But Roth is as much of a court jester as he is a benevolent tyrant, and therein lies the root of his chummy megalomania.

What a bunch of pseudo-intellectual, nonsensical crap.

"You may genuflect now"

What?
    Last edited by FredSavage; 01.31.13 at 09:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by FredSavage View Post
    In other words, he’s pretty much an idiot. Or rather, he’s auditioning for the part of rock’s reigning idiot savant. Too impetuous to wait for a callback, he just went ahead and gave himself the role. You may genuflect now. But Roth is as much of a court jester as he is a benevolent tyrant, and therein lies the root of his chummy megalomania.

What a bunch of pseudo-intellectual, nonsensical crap.

"You may genuflect now"

What?

I'd love for Dave to do a one on one with one of these pompous, self absorbed, keyboard warriors. They'd be genuflecting to him, asking him for his autograph, and offering up their sisters within 10 minutes

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    I'd love for Dave to do a one on one with one of these pompous, self absorbed, keyboard warriors. They'd be genuflecting to him, asking him for his autograph, and offering up their sisters within 10 minutes
    I had to look up "genuflect" to find out what it meant. I'm all for a scholarly look at Van Halen, and that Zen VH book is worthwhile, but this article is not. It's a sort of masturbatory writing style where it's all about the writer pleasing himself--he's attempting to show how witty and clever he is. He offers analogies and metaphors that really don't work and I'm not sure what the point of his aticle is. I find writers like this to be incredibly irritating.

And he says that Dave is a shitty singer? Has this guy ever listened to Ratt or Quit Riot?
    Last edited by FredSavage; 01.31.13 at 04:43 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

This article is not Anti-VH, though. It's a celebration, however irritating it may be.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sometimes get the feeling that articles like these are made by big fans of Van Halen's music but they feel they have to write pieces like this in a condescending tone to keep their "indie" street cred with their website readers. After all it's supposedly not cool to dig bands like Van Halen and yet still be able to write articles about the Black Keys or whatever the big indie flavor of the month band is at the time and still be hip with all the snobs out there.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Boo hoo, somebody doesn't like Van Halen and wrote a column about it. Big Deal.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Sounds like he really likes VH to me.

I don't share his opinion of Roth's voice. I like the way Dave sings. That isolated track of him singing Running with the Devil is deceptive in my opinion because no lead singer would sound good in that situation. And Dave certainly can sing as good as Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Mick Jagger, Tom Petty, Bon Scott, etc. The author rightly points out that rock music isn't about great singers.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The Carducci quotes are taken out of context.....but that IS a dude who hates Van Halen...or at the very least EVH.

Carducci helped run SST records...and we know where you all stand with Black Flag, Minutemen, Husker Du ect. In those days it was the Sunset Strip or nothing. Carducci and crew built their own scene (across the U.S. as well) in response.

The comments below the article are 1000 times funnier then the article itself....THIS article stinks of hipsterisms and smug self importance. and its DULL.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    This article is not Anti-VH, though. It's a celebration, however irritating it may be.

Oh I think you're right. I think the guy has Dave posters on his ceiling. It's still a bunch of drivel. I read it, and immediately thought, Why?
    Do hipster types really need to write some pseudo intellectual crap about Van Halen? In 2013 no less? Why would the subject even enter their consciousness?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I sometimes get the feeling that articles like these are made by big fans of Van Halen's music but they feel they have to write pieces like this in a condescending tone to keep their "indie" street cred with their website readers. After all it's supposedly not cool to dig bands like Van Halen and yet still be able to write articles about the Black Keys or whatever the big indie flavor of the month band is at the time and still be hip with all the snobs out there.
    Naughty, naughty - being snobbish about the music that music snobs like??? Tsssk.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 10,880 Times in 5,726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Oh I think you're right. I think the guy has Dave posters on his ceiling. It's still a bunch of drivel. I read it, and immediately thought, Why?
    Do hipster types really need to write some pseudo intellectual crap about Van Halen? In 2013 no less? Why would the subject even enter their consciousness?
    Forgive me my ignorance but what the fuck is a hipster? I hear the term all the time and would really like a definition.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Forgive me my ignorance but what the fuck is a hipster? I hear the term all the time and would really like a definition.
    Courtesy of the Urban Dictionary

hipster :
    Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.
    Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.
    Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.
    Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 10,880 Times in 5,726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    Courtesy of the Urban Dictionary

hipster :
    Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.
    Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.
    Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.
    Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.
    Kind of what In suspected but couldn't put into words.

Thanks!
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.