Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default EVH MXR flanger problem

Hey guys,

I have had an EVH MXR flanger for about 2 years or so. Traded my old original MXR in for the EVH model. One thing I have noticed with mine which seems weird is when I have the EVH switch engaged it sounds NOTHING like the "Unchained" flange and if anything it sounds more like a "HAIL" flange. It does not matter what amp I use, run it through an effects loop or straight into the amp it still has a very MILD flange sound. When I turn it off and dial in the knobs like an original I can get the Unchained sound flange just fine but why wont my pedal "EVH" switch sound right? Anyone else have this issue with their EVH MXR pedal? I am thinking of sending it back to dunlop and see what they say.

any ideas or comments? Thanks,

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Hey Rob. Has it been that day from day one? It almost sounds like a bad switch connection (cold solder joint) or circuit issue or something....Like for some reason it's not getting a full signal to the regeneration section when the switch is engaged.
    That would give you the cleaner sweepy HAIL kind of sound as opposed to the grittier Unchained tone. I had a similar sound issue with my vintage Morley Flange, but with mine, the input jack housing had dissintegrated, and it wasn't holding together properly, so even though it was working, it wasn't getting a full strong signal through the circuit because it was shorting or stripping off voltage onto the pedal box. My guess would be the switch's connection to the board might be faulty.....possibly just a bad switch too.
    If you're comfortable doing so, pedal out of warranty, you could pull it apart, and look to see if there is a duller looking solder joint where the switch attaches, compared to the others. Believe me, it can be just that simple. if it is, then just get a cheap fine point soldering pencil (if you dont have one now) and reheat the joint till it shines up, then that should be it.
    Did this on a keyboard output a couple years ago with the left being way lower than the right's output. The connection had oxidized from something.
    Hopefully real simple.
    JJ
    Last edited by we die young; 01.30.13 at 06:10 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I dunno, mine sounds spot on. Maybe there's a problem with that little button? Eddie has always said that his flanger has always been at the same setting. I'm inclined to believe him because if you play HAIL with the EVH button on with a cleaner amp setting it sounds spot on, and sounds exactly right for Unchained also.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

yeah its been that way from day one since I got it brand new. Definately not the Unchained sound as I have it dialed in manually with the knobs and its perfect.

I'll check the solder connections. Thanks guys,

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

I'm in the same boat as you Rob. Mines never really sound exactly like the Unchained sound either... Its close, but not quite there and it been that way since the day I bought it. I'm still happy with it. Its still a great pedal & it still sounds awesome...

Not sure if you have seen this, but this guy is getting this sound out of his EVH Flanger just using the EVH button... It sounds great. Check out some of his other vids if you havent seen them before... This guys got some great guitars...

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

cool I'll check em out. Thanks Dutchie

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

So Rob...Why the hell did you get rid of your vintage MXR Flanger for an EVH model?!?!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

it wasnt an original MXR... it was a reissue version so not a biggie

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

well I called Dunlop today and spoke to the tech guy. I told him that my MXR EVH has been really like that since day one when I bought it brand new and that the EVH switch should have the "unchained" sound and it has a very mild flange sound no matter how I run it (loop or straight in even by itself) in any amp. The guy said to ship it out to them and they would take a look at it and said to include a check for 75.00 since the warrantee has expired. I did not feel like fighting with him or pushing back today.... was in a good mood... go figure thats a first
    when he was taking my info he goes, "you know what, its been like that since day one right and you have not really used it much?" I responded yes and he says, "well than I am going to put it under warrantee and not charge you. He gave me a number and said just ship it to us, we will check it out, fix it if it needs it and ship it back to you free of charge.... I was like, "cool."

glad I called after all. I just want to have them look at it. Even though he said that these things typically dont break or come out of spec I did send them my EVH Phase shifter last year (you guys might remember my post) and there was something wrong with it and again... bought it brand new and it had almost no use and it was messed up so these things do happen. I was glad he offered to cover it for me. So I am shipping it out tomorrow. Should be back within a few weeks to a month and I'll keep you posted on what happens.
    thanks again for the help. I apprecaite it,

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

That's great customer service right there. I've heard others say Dunlop really stand by their products which is very cool, and it only benefits them more for future business and brand loyalty. I thought it might cost you some to get it checked out by them, but that's real good.