Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 11,775 Times in 6,522 Posts

Premium Member

Default California's Hispanic population to outnumber whites by end of 2013

State's 2013-14 budget proposal reasoned declining birth rates and increasing migration as cause

By July Hispanics expected to match state's white non-Hispanic population

California's Hispanic population is slated to become the state's majority ethnicity by the end of this year according to a new report by the governor's office.

New ethnicity trends outlined in Gov Jerry Brown's 2013-14 budget proposal revealed the state's expected new majority while reasoning the state’s declining birth rates and increasing migration as causes.
    As early as July Hispanics are expected to be equal in size to non-Hispanic whites before outpacing them, according to the report, with both demographics in that month reaching 39 per cent of the population.
    It's a swap that comes earlier than experts had expected.

Gov Brown, responding to the outlined future of his state, has since proposed shifting more school funding to those schools with more students in poverty and/or don't speak English.
    Currently 40 percent of the state's students are living in poverty and 20 percent are non-native English speakers he said.

With the report having also found the state's Hispanics being predominantly younger than whites - with 19 percent of Hispanics over the age of 50 compared to 43 percent of whites - he said 'this is an aging society and inequality is growing.'
    Nationally, Hispanics are already the fastest growing demographic, with their demographics seen increasing by 3.1 per cent since 2010.

More than half of the country’s Hispanic population live within just three states, however, of California, Texas and Florida.
    State wise, New Mexico has the highest percentage of Hispanics among their entire population, seeing 46.7 per cent in last year's census figures. White non-Hispanics make up 40.2 per cent.

Among the state's overall figures released, by July the state's total population is expected to top 30 million after adding 300,000 or 0.8 percent more than last year.
    That figure is uncharacteristically slow for the nation's most populous state, with the report reasoning a sluggish economy stifling the historically fast-growing state's population.
    Once the economy improves the state expects to see growth at an average of 340,000 annually through 2017, a figure largely supported by birth opposed to migration.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-end-2013.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

The only part that bothers me about that statistic, is that unlike prior immigrants, we are not requiring them to learn our language, we are bending over backwards to accomodate their language, and that is what pisses me off.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The only part that bothers me about that statistic, is that unlike prior immigrants, we are not requiring them to learn our language, we are bending over backwards to accomodate their language, and that is what pisses me off.
    I don't remember the exact statistic, but I am pretty sure that by the time they reach the third generation, less than 15% of them speak anything but English. I think there's a lot of misconception that we're going to have huge swaths of our country where nobody speaks English, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Don't you think that intentionally reinforcing the language barrier is counterproductive to the American "land of opportunity" and open-hearted values? It's not like we have an official language anyway.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiveBomb View Post
    I don't remember the exact statistic, but I am pretty sure that by the time they reach the third generation, less than 15% of them speak anything but English. I think there's a lot of misconception that we're going to have huge swaths of our country where nobody speaks English, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Don't you think that intentionally reinforcing the language barrier is counterproductive to the American "land of opportunity" and open-hearted values? It's not like we have an official language anyway.
    We speak English in this country. There is no way that anyone can attain true success without speaking proper English. Learning to speak the language is step one in assimilation. For far too long we have ignored this important part of becoming an American. People used to come here and want to be part of America. Now, too many of them look at our country as a place you go to get as much out of the system as you can and then you go back home. What's even worse is that we have politicians that encourage that attitude.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    We speak English in this country. There is no way that anyone can attain true success without speaking proper English. Learning to speak the language is step one in assimilation. For far too long we have ignored this important part of becoming an American. People used to come here and want to be part of America. Now, too many of them look at our country as a place you go to get as much out of the system as you can and then you go back home. What's even worse is that we have politicians that encourage that attitude.
    I totally disagree. The only difference is that you now have access to all this information.

If most previous immigrants did what you say we would never have Chinatown, Korea town, little Italy and so on in every major city accross North America. I dare you to walk into a shop in Chinatown and try and communicate in English. Even the popular restaurants have the best 2-3 "English" speaking people in the front and no one in the kitchen speak a word of English.

I'm not saying it's right just saying this has always been the case. Instead of calling it Mexico town they just call their place California.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    I totally disagree. The only difference is that you now have access to all this information.

If most previous immigrants did what you say we would never have Chinatown, Korea town, little Italy and so on in every major city accross North America. I dare you to walk into a shop in Chinatown and try and communicate in English. Even the popular restaurants have the best 2-3 "English" speaking people in the front and no one in the kitchen speak a word of English.

I'm not saying it's right just saying this has always been the case. Instead of calling it Mexico town they just call their place California.
    I disagree. I am glad you brought up Little Italy because that is/was an example of a community that was grateful to be in America. Italians didn't forget their culture (why should they?) but they raised their children to be proud Americans. Want proof? You can't even watch an old war movie without some Italian kid from Brooklyn in it . Unfortunately, you don't find very much of this with today's immigrants.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Everyone in Chinatown in downtown LA speaks English. I go there all the time.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Everyone in Chinatown in downtown LA speaks English. I go there all the time.
    Same here.

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mostly I agree with you. My point is that the vast majority of immigrants do learn English, especially their children. Providing resources in Spanish or any other language doesn't prevent assimilation in the long term; it just helps people get their roots established and orient themselves. Most of these people identify as Americans, contribute to the economy, and contribute to their communities. I view the "bending over backwards" as a hand extended to help people get on their feet so they can get on with becoming assimilated Americans. I may be way off base, but that's the viewpoint I've come away with after studying the issue a bit and working firsthand with a lot of Mexican and Colombian immigrants.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

I disagree. I am glad you brought up Little Italy because that is/was an example of a community that was grateful to be in America. Italians didn't forget their culture (why should they?) but they raised their children to be proud Americans. Want proof? You can't even watch an old war movie without some Italian kid from Brooklyn in it . Unfortunately, you don't find very much of this with today's immigrants.
    we hear the same type of complaints up here and I think, for the most part, they are unfounded. My parents (Italians who came here in the 60s) received the same type of criticism I'm sure - that they didn't want to blend in. My mother didn't speak a tonne of english for a good long time (now she's ok but it's still clearly a second language). The key isn't the people who come to the country, it's their kids. The kids need to become part of the regular culture. And that means that they need to have english forced down their throats in school, if it is then you won't have much of an issue. If it's not being done then is that the fault of the "immigrants" or the fault of the system?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

my great great grandfather came to this country from Canada, and did not speak English...French only ...with a little pigeon English to get by, (mostly swear words)...my great grandfather was fluent in both languages but lost all English language as he got older and more feeble..and my grandmother's siblings spoke English only with a smattering of French swear words

my grandfather on the other side spoke German only in the household and in his village only German was spoken because it was settled by a bunch of German immigrants...so he and his siblings had to learn English when they went to school...my father spoke English only

so I guess my family followed those third generation rules pretty well

but back then, there were no special considerations for other languages...if you wanted to get along in society you had to learn English If that little village my grandfather had grown up in had been a bigger city and more self sufficient, would he have learned the English language?....not if he didn't have to

I do believe that as things are getting ever more diverse, we will have to declare an official language...can you I but imagine what it would be like if you went out and all the signs were not just in English and Spanish, but also French German Chinese Korean Italian ????? what a mess

just look at this interactive US language map ...it's pretty cool, but pretty daunting as well

http://arcgis.mla.org/mla/default.aspx

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    my great great grandfather came to this country from Canada,
    I knew there was something special about you Daisy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I knew there was something special about you Daisy.
    Yeah he got the fuck outta there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online