Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default The end of gun control, or anarchy? See the chilling possibilities of 3d printed guns

“America, is this guy a hero or a villain?”

That was one of the questions asked by Glenn Beck during a fascinating and potentially frightening interview with Cody Wilson of Defense Distributed, The WikiWeapons Project. If you are not familiar with them, Wilson’s group claims to be “A non-profit collaborative project to create freely available plans for printable 3D guns.”

In a segment during Beck’s TV program about The Singularity, a technology-evolutionary jump, Wilson was talking about his success in using 3D printers to actually make plastic guns. (Cody Wilson has actually fired these printed components — see video below.) Beck also showed a functional, high-capacity magazine that was made by the WikiWeapons project using a 3D prin

While it is illegal to print an entire gun, parts can be printed and guns assembled with relative ease. Cody Wilson explained to Beck that the file for the high-capacity magazine has been downloaded more that 150,000 times since President Obama’s announcement of his Executive Orders on limiting guns.

The cost of creating weapons in your own home is coming down very rapidly. Just as with any technology, as it becomes more popular, the price to own it drops exponentially. Both host and guest agree that 3D printers will soon be as cheap to own and operate as ink-jet printers are today.

Is the 3D printer a “game changer” in the gun control debate? Would access to this technology create more bad than good?

Watch the fascinating back and forth between Beck and Wilson on the possibilities (both good and bad) created by the use of 3D printers to make real guns here: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-printed-guns/

3D printed mag demo

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Somewhere Mitch Leary is questioning his decision to not take Frank Horrigan's hand.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

3D printing is going to change the world in vast a numerous ways, many of which we can't envision now.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Update

Wiki-Weapons Project Shows 3D Printed Gun Part Can Withstand 600 Rounds

Defense Distributed, which is heading up the Wiki-Weapons project to create a 3D printable gun design, is continuing its tests of its 3D-printed lower portion of an AR-15. As the group has stated on its website, it wants to make sure the pieces will be able to hold up to stress.

And that’s exactly what this latest test was about — more than 600 rounds worth of stress.

How did the plastic piece do? Let’s put it this way: it seems that the shooter’s thumb tires faster that the plastic piece, which is saying something given that one of the group’s first printed piece broke after six rounds

Watch how the 3D-printed lower of the gun holds up for more than 600 rounds:

In addition to this piece, Defense Distributed has shown on its blog that it has also perfected its 3D-printed magazine. http://defdist.tumblr.com/

http://defensedistributed.com/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...nd-600-rounds/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

They have bio-3D printers now that can create meat from scratch. The technology is AMAZING. This has been something I've been looking at for a while. Jay Leno used 3D printing to make parts for his cars that can't be purchased anymore. He has done it for friends of his like Adam Carolla as well.

As this becomes more ubiquitous, it will make gun laws moot.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Default Working gun made with 3D printer

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."

The gun was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal

3D printing has been hailed as the future of manufacturing.

The technology works by building up layer upon layer of material - typically plastic - to build complex solid objects.

The idea is that as the printers become cheaper, instead of buying goods from shops, consumers will instead be able to download designs and print out the items at home.

But as with all new technologies, there are risks as well as benefits.

Personal liberties

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.

"I'm seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It's not up to the political players any more."

Asked if he felt any sense of responsibility about whose hands the gun might fall into, he told the BBC: "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun.

"But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

Gun control

To make the gun, Mr Wilson received a manufacturing and seller's licence from the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Donna Sellers, from the ATF, told BBC News that the 3D-printed gun, as long as it was not a National Firearms Act weapon (an automatic gun, for example), was legal in the US.

She said: "[In the US] a person can manufacture a firearm for their own use. However, if they engage in the business of manufacture to sell a gun, they need a licence."

Amid America's ongoing gun debate in the wake of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, US congressman Steve Israel recently called for a ban on 3D guns under the Undetectable Firearms Act.

Groups looking to tighten US gun laws have also expressed concern.

Leah Gunn Barrett, from New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, has said: "These guns could fall into the hands of people who should not have guns - criminals, people who are seriously mentally ill, people who are convicted of domestic violence, even children."

3D printing technology has already been used by some criminal organisations to create card readers - "skimmers" - that are inserted into bank machines.

Many law enforcement agencies around the world now have people dedicated to monitoring cybercrime and emerging technologies such as 3D printers.

Ms Baines from Europol said: "What we know is that technology proceeds much more quickly than we expect it to. So by getting one step ahead of the technological developments, we hope and believe we will be able to get one step ahead of the criminals as well."

Video >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

All the amazing things they can/could do with this equipment and they're making fucking guns.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Wouldn't there still need to be some metal parts in there like the firing pin, springs etc.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Wouldn't there still need to be some metal parts in there like the firing pin, springs etc.
    Short term yeah, but 20 years ago who would have thought you'd print the rest of it?

Consider too that springs aren't just coiled wire anymore. The springs in my mountian bike front suspension & seat post are basically a cone of rubber that gets compressed & rebounds.

I dare say plastics already exist that would be hard enough for the firing pin too.
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 05.06.13 at 06:17 AM.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

KAPPLAH!!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I watched the videos. I'm so confused.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

1/ Ink Jet printers are NOT cheap to operate and always jam!

2/ Nobody talks about how much time it takes to assemble it. I guess we're talking about people with an infinite amount of time on their hands = already not the most productive members of society.

3/ If some of these "freedom fighters" from Defense Distributed actually end up putting guns in the hands of terrorists who would not currently have access to them due to the fact that they wouldn't pass background checks, will they be prosecuted as enablers to terrorist acts?
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I find myself in the odd position of disliking assault weapons AND gun bans.

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Legally, the part being printed is the gun. It has the serial number, it requires the license. The barrel, stock, etc are just part and anyone can buy them.

Also, buying a gun requires a license, but making guns at home it uncharted territory because it has not been possible until now. In theory it is neither illegal nor legal.
    Last edited by VF5150; 05.07.13 at 12:12 AM.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Wiki Weapons Fires First 100% 3D-Printed Handgun

•Defense Distributed’s Wiki-Weapons project fired the “Liberator,” its .380 handgun that was created completely with a 3D printer.

•The 15 of the 16 parts created using the technology took just 24 hours to print.

•The blueprint for the Liberator has been posted online, free for anyone to download.

•Lawmakers have since renewed calls for bans on 3D printed firearms that could be undetectable by security sensor

The Wiki-Weapons project by Defense Distributed, which has for months been striving toward its goal of creating a fully functional 3D-printed gun, has succeeded in the first tests of a firearm created using only a 3D printer.

Although much of the project up until now has been showing off plastic printed components for rifles and magazines, the gun tested last week was a .380 handgun, which Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson told TheBlaze in a phone interview Monday was always the goal to develop.

Wilson said that while they were waiting for their federal firearms license request to go through, something which was granted to them in March, they worked on printing the gun parts they legally could in the mean time. For weeks, the parts of the handgun were tested individually but on May 1 it all came together for its first shot.

As a safety precaution, it was test fired remotely at first.

“It was a big question mark. I was quite nervous, excited, giddy,” Wilson said.

After the remote fire was successful, Wilson said he felt comfortable allowing it to be fired by hand.

“I thought ‘oh my, this is going to work,’” he said.

When he fired it himself, he described it as feeling “pretty good.”

“The action felt smooth. It fit together tightly,” he said.

Watch Wilson fire the Liberator in this video:

Fifteen components of the 16-piece firearm were created using the 3D printer plastic. Wilson estimated that it took 24 hours to print all the pieces with the largest component taking 10 hours. The one piece that was not printed was the firing pin, which he said was a matter of getting the correct hardness.

“You need a fine, hard point,” he said of the striking component of the gun.

As Wilson has told TheBlaze in the past, much of the project, in addition to supporting the Second Amendment, is about protecting freedom of speech on the Internet.

“If we truly believe information should be free, that the internet is the last bastion of freedom and knowledge, and that societies that share are superior to societies that censor and withhold, then why not guns?” Defense Distributed stated on its website. http://defdist.org/faq/

Within hours of photos of the Liberator being posted by Forbes Friday, Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) renewed his plea for the passage of the Undetectable Firearms Modernization Act.

“Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser,” Israel said in a statement. “When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction. Now that this technology appears to be upon us, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms.”

New York Sen. Charles Schumer jumped on board Sunday calling the creation of undetectable firarms ”stomach-churning.” With this technology, Schumer said he believed people could ”open a gun factory in their garage.”

Wilson said as he understands the current bill — which would make it illegal to manufacture, own, transport, buy or sell any firearm, receiver or magazine that was undetectable by metal detectors or X-ray machines — it would not apply to licensed firearm manufacturers, which would make Defense Distributed exempt. But Wilson said he is worried about its potential passage in how it would impact the average citizen.

“It looks like they stand a fair chance of regulating 3D printing,” Wilson said, noting he is more concerned about provisions included that would ban people from making 3D printed components like rifle receivers and high-capacity magazines.

“It’s not about security,” Wilson said, continuing on in his perspective of the bill. It’s about making it more difficult for people to “quickly make 3D-printed gun parts.”

Forbes noted that Defense Distributed included a six-ounce, non-functional metal piece in the Liberator specifically so the firearm could be detectable.

As for Defense Distributed’s project going forward, Wilson said there is plenty of work to do. For the “Liberator,” Wilson said he thinks it’s a little overbuilt, meaning he is sure there are improvements they can make on the design to allow it to be printed on cheaper 3D printers. He also said he wanted to work on testing different barrel sizes.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...inted-handgun/