Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The future of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal?

Ok question.....is there a prosperous future for the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal genre? And when I include Heavy Metal I’m not referring to all the Death Metal or Metalcore bands out there with the growling and screaming vocals. I’m more looking at the genre that bands like Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Rush, Aerosmith and others started or made popular. The more "traditional" sound of the Hard Rock and Heavy Metal genre. I mean once the legendary and veteran bands that are still out there putting out albums and going on tours are finally unable to do it anymore will the genre pretty much die as well?

It’s kind of depressing to think about.... but to be honest...in my opinion there are hardly any newer bands that are going to be able to carry the torch of the “Hard Rock” genre in say 10 years from now the way it stands now. Sure there are a few newer bands that are trying to keep it going like Buckcherry and maybe groups like Shinedown but I just don’t see any of these newer bands staying popular enough or having a large enough fan base to keep them successful for the next 15 plus years. While I like a few groups like Shinedown I just don’t see them as the torchbearers for the genre for the future. Some can say the future of Heavy Metal is bright…and they might have a point with all of the metalcore, nu-metal and death metal bands being popular with the younger generation, but personally I just don’t like all these newer bands that growl and scream half of the lyrics and would love for some new bands that are more “traditional Heavy Metal” to make their mark. Is there a band that is coming up that is the next Metallica or Iron Maiden that doesn’t growl and scream like there is glass in their throat for 95% of their songs?

Or is the future of Hard Rock/Metal going to be this fusion of Rap and Metal that is also popular with the younger genration with groups like Hollywood Undead?

Will there be a generation of bands that will come along here in the next 5-10 years that will be more in the vein of traditional Hard Rock that will use the influences of the legendary bands that many of us enjoy that will actually be able to give the genre new life and have some staying power for the next 20+ years? As the years go on I’m having my doubts.

I'm curious to see other opinions on what they think is the future of the genre.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Traditional sound of hard rock is dying on the vine.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I'm afraid it's going to go the way of most other forms of music. You just don't hear about a big influx of swing bands or dixieland jazz bands anymore, soon it will be with all but the basic of rock bands. There'll be acts here and there (after most of the majors are gone) that come along and try their hand, but they will be seen as more or less novelty acts in their time. I just hope that whatever the "next big thing" is, it returns a premium on "singing".

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There's a few bands trying to keep it alive. Off hand I can think of the Foos, pearl jam, Alice in chains. But as far as sustainable acts? Nope. New music pretty much sucks unless you have a dollar symbol in your name.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I discovered a hard rock band that kind of mixes a bit of old school rock with some newer style. Halestorm. They have a great female singer and while some songs are hit or miss, you can hear influences from 80's and 90's bands.

However I agree that its a dying breed. Think of it like Rockabilly or Swing. Very popular in the 40's and 50's but it took 30 years for the Stray Cats to kind of bring Rockabilly in style for a year or so. Took about 50 for swing to come back and that lasted about 2 years.

It will happen with hard rock or heavy metal but it will be short lived.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,190 Times in 8,988 Posts

Hard rock and heavy metal as a pop format, meaning getting radio play and huge album sales is dead for now.

But, things change. Because it is loosely associated with pop rock, it won't die as a genre like swing music, etc. I think there will be a renaissance for it eventually.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 20 Posts

The thing is the kids these days don't like rock. How in the world is a new rock band going to make it long term? It won't. You'd need a rock band to grab a young audience and have all the copy cats follow afterwards. The thing is the young kids could care less.

One thing rock had going for it, was that it was a lifestyle they could sell, the imagery, the experience, etc. That now belongs to other genres. If rock can sell itself in that way, it would have a chance, but it's too far gone. Rock isn't like country that is palatable to a wide age demographic. If it found a way to do so, it might have a chance.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I don't think that style will ever die completely. Music seems to go in cycles.
    Hard rock or metal isn't the popular dynamo it was but it isn't dead. Lot of young kids dig it.

Van Halen broke when Disco was mainstream.. at the time not many saw the marketable value in a band like VH. They were exceptional though. Honest with charisma, great songs and a innovative exciting guitarist.

Zeppelin still holds up cause the music is so good. A lot of amazing bands/musicians helped the genre grow and flourish in the day.

I think it will come back around someday but you need some truly great bands that write exceptional music to help it.

I've heard a lot of newer hard rock/ metal signed bands and even here some younger people post stuff they are into that touches on the classic rock or metal type sound but imo the classic band's wrote much better tunes and had a much cooler thing going. A generalized blanket statement but I feel it's true.

I think people of my generation were spoiled some to have stuff from the Beatles, Zeppelin, VH etc all relatively fresh in our childhood and on the radio etc. I very seldom hear a new rock tune from a new band that knocks my socks off. Eventually that will happen and it will come back around but it's going to take some great bands with truly good music to lean it towards mainstream again. imo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 2,295 Times in 1,176 Posts

Rock is far from dead.

I think you are mistakenly thinking YOUR brand of 70's/early 80's style rock is the ONLY form of rock.

There are 1000's of tube amps being over-driven to the max in all kinds of music these days.

As long as bands are playing with distortion, volume, and are hitting their drum kits hard...

YOU HAVE A FORM OF MUSIC CALLED ROCK.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

People may be playing hard rock but nobody cares about it.

In the mainstream yes hard rock is dead and has been for a while.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

There were various incarnations of Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey into the late 60s but in the end that type of music died out too when they all died.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

Music emanating from an over-driven tube amp will NEVER die. NEVER.

Why?

It's so much FUN for the musicians who create those sounds.

In affect, so many people will play loud guitar, and that will just lead to lot's of great loud music.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really think the "traditional' sound of hard rock is blues based. To me it seems like newer popular music has really got away from the blues influence in a large part and it's why rock and hard rock are just not popular with today's younger generation. Now it's more about the "beat" it's more drum influenced. The focus on guitars and riffs has took a backseat to the more studio trickery of drum loops and autotune and rapping. A lot of music today sounds so studio manufactured to me.

It's interesing because acoustic based folk rock has made a comeback in recent years with bands like Mumford and Sons. Bands like The Black Keys have brought back the the sound of early blues based garage rock in a way. So I think there will be a progression that comes back to traditional hard rock sound at some point. But the question will be... will it stick with the younger generation?
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I really think the "traditional' sound of hard rock is blues based. To me it seems like newer popular music has really got away from the blues influence in a large part and it's why rock and hard rock are just not popular with today's younger generation. Now it's more about the "beat" it's more drum influenced. The focus on guitars and riffs has took a backseat to the more studio trickery of drum loops and autotune and rapping. A lot of music today sounds so studio manufactured to me.

It's interesing because acoustic based folk rock has made a comeback in recent years with bands like Mumford and Sons. Bands like The Black Keys have brought back the the sound of early blues based garage rock in a way. So I think there will be a progression that comes back to traditional hard rock sound at some point. But the question will be... will it stick with the younger generation?
    I think you may need to stay away from Major Label music.

If you look (which will take some effort), you will find LOTS of GOOD loud and cool music all over the place today.

The mainstream palate is unfortunately fully diseased at this stage, and need to move BEYOND IT to find the REAL music.

Back in the late 70's, the opposite was true, and we were all spoilt.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    I think you may need to stay away from Major Label music.

If you look (which will take some effort), you will find LOTS of GOOD loud and cool music all over the place today.

The mainstream palate is unfortunately fully diseased at this stage, and need to move BEYOND IT to find the REAL music.

Back in the late 70's, the opposite was true, and we were all spoilt.
    Don't get me wrong I look all the time for new music and there is A LOT I enjoy. I don't really dig some of the newer metal out there with the growling and screaming vocals but there is some good stuff out there. I'm not just listening to older stuff.