Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Default Senate Panel Would Mandate Cursive Writing Instruction

Senate panel would mandate cursive writing instruction

INDIANAPOLIS | Local schools would lose their freedom to decide whether to teach cursive writing under legislation heard Wednesday by an Indiana Senate committee.

Senate Bill 120, sponsored by state Sen. Jean Leising, R-Oldenburg, requires all public schools and most private schools to teach cursive writing.

The Indiana Department of Education dropped its cursive requirement in 2011 and suggested students be taught keyboarding instead. A recent sampling of Northwest Indiana schools by The Times found most region schools continue to teach cursive.

Leising told the Senate Education Committee, which is expected to vote on her plan next week, that research shows learning cursive is connected to the development of a child's fine motor skills and remains relevant even in a world where nearly everyone communicates by typing.

"Anything that we believe would enhance the development of our children we have to do it," Leising said. "We could be creating a generation of kids that if the battery is dead or the power is out they won't know the value of a pen or pencil and a piece of paper."

State Sen. Earline Rogers, D-Gary, was skeptical of that claim and said local schools should decide whether their students need cursive instruction.

Rogers pointed to efforts by the School Town of Munster and other region districts that have embraced iPad learning and electronic textbooks instead of requiring reams of handwritten assignments.

Leising said she'd be willing to let students fulfill a state cursive requirement by learning it on an electronic device using a stylus.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/g...455e64ecc.html

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think that a senate mandate is actually necessary, but just think... in ten to twenty years, will todays kids even know how to write with a pen or pencil? Know how to write at all??

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

uh, have you looked at kids' Facebook postings or read through some of their texts? That time is now...

I don't know what value there is to cursive, though, I haven't used it (except on very rare occasions) since 7th grade. The article mentioned developing motor skills, and if that's the case, maybe it's still needed. But I'd settle for basic penmanship and wordsmith.

As far as keyboarding, I think it's great, but how about teaching basic computer skills before sending kids home with computer-based assignments?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

We are doomed.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I'm very grammatically proper when I send text messages or communicate online (as you guys can see). And I have a cursive signature. But damned if I remember ever using cursive beyond fifth grade. I don't remember a thing about it.

I always printed, and still do, with small caps (dad and grandpa did, I just like it better). Plus teachers had a hard time reading my writing and that was the easiest way for them to read it. Whoops

I never actually learned how to use a keyboard properly. I always used the "hunt and peck" method, but I can type really fast using it because I have pretty much my entire life.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I remember being taught cursive in school and once I was done with school, I've printed ever since....teaching fine motor skills is a good thing but I think teaching proper spelling and correct grammar would be far more valuable...
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Signature App...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton