Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Default Gawker Publishes Complete List of ‘All the A**holes Who Own Guns in New York City

Gawker Publishes Complete 446-Page List of ‘All the A**holes Who Own Guns in New York City’

Posted on January 8, 2013 at 3:57pm by Jason Howerton Print »Email »

–The website Gawker has outdone New York’s “Journal News” and published the names of all licensed gun owners in New York City. With the provocative headline, “Here Is a List of All the A**holes Who Own Guns in New York City,” John Cook provides a 446-page list of every licensed gun owner in NYC, obtained two-and-a-half years ago via a Freedom of Information Act request.

“Below is a 446-page list of every licensed gun owner in New York City…Because the NYPD is more interested in raping and/or eating ladies and spying on Muslims than it is in honoring public records law, the list contains only the names, and not the addresses, of the licensees,” Cook writes.

The Journal News sparked outrage when it published the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland Counties. The paper wanted to also publish the information of gun owners in Putnam County, N.Y., but so far the county has refused, saying providing the information would put the public in danger.

As Cook correctly points out, section 400.00 of the Penal Law of New York, entitled “Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms,” makes addresses of licensed gun owners public information. “The name and address of any person to whom an application for any license has been granted shall be a public record,” the law states.

Critics argue, however, just because information is publicly available, that doesn’t mean it should be published online and in newspapers for criminals and others to see. In other states, like Texas, the personal information of concealed weapons license holders is considered confidential.

In his post, Cook also brags about outing Fox News chief Roger Ailes, Sean Hannity, Howard Stern, Don Imus, Donald Trump and others as gun owners with permits to own or carry firearms in the city in 2010.

Because New York pistol owners must register with their local police department and the state, the names of 1.2 million New York handgun owners and the addresses of 300,000 of them have been available online for more than two years. Because of this, gun owners in New York should not be upset about the Journal News or other outlets like Gawker publicizing their personal information, according to Cook.

“In any case, it’s clear that many of the Rockland County and Westchester County gun owners who are outraged at having their addresses plastered on the internet have had those addresses plastered on the internet for years without it causing a problem. And if anyone wanted to really stir some sh*t up, they’d grab those Who’s Packing databases and throw them up on Google Maps,” Cook writes.

While the names and addresses of gun owners are considered public information in New York, the media, even websites like Gawker, still have a responsibility to exercise smart editorial judgment and carefully consider the consequences of all of its decisions.

Ex-burglars and thieves recently told Fox News that a database of gun owners is like “gold” for criminals, letting them know which houses are easy targets and which ones have guns to steal. Frank Abignale, the famous former thief portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio in “Catch Me if You Can,” called the Journal News’ decision to publish gun owners’ information “reprehensible.” Another ex-burglar said the newspaper was “exceptionally stupid” in its actions.

“And for the record,” Cook concluded. “[The gun owners] are not all a**holes. Some of them need guns for legitimate reasons for their jobs, like providing security for a**holes.”

TheBlaze is not providing the 446-page list of all New York City licensed gun owners.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gawk...new-york-city/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Well, I'm an asshole then, as I am a gun owner.

But, all of you already knew I was an asshole.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,488 Times in 1,017 Posts

Premium Member

This shit is getting old very quick. Left wing jackoffs.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Isn't this a violation of privacy somehow?!
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Isn't this a violation of privacy somehow?!
    apparently not in the States. Shocking to most of us north of the border.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

So now any criminal in NYC knows which houses not to rob.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    So now any criminal in NYC knows which houses not to rob.
    if that was really a meaningful deterrent then the American South would have no crime.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

11.09.16 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    if that was really a meaningful deterrent then the American South would have no crime.
    Maybe not always a deterrent but

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Well, I'm an asshole then, as I am a gun owner.

But, all of you already knew I was an asshole.
    I'm twice the asshole you are Dreidel! I've never bragged about that before!
    This is a total invasion of privacy, and I really love the villain-ish slant the headline implies. Guess all the cops, armed guards in NYC are certified assholes too.
    Nice to see the broad brush equal opportunity approach...Not just singling out an individual with a bad history. Classy folks!
    Last edited by we die young; 01.09.13 at 09:44 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

this is getting absolutely ridiculous

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Ironically, after the Journal News was deluged with outraged people, they then hired an armed security company to protect their office and employees.

go figure...

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    Ironically, after the Journal News was deluged with outraged people, they then hired an armed security company to protect their office and employees.

go figure...
    Ironic indeed. If only we could all afford our own armed security. Don't get me wrong, I'd still own guns, I'd just like to have the cheddar to pay somebody else to carry for me.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post

go figure...
    The irony ladies and gentleman! The irony.
    It really is pathetic. Such a double standard. I'm just dying to see how long it takes for some holier than thou PC, urbanite metro-sexual blogger wank to do the same thing up here.
    Gun owners have already been villainized here, so it's only a matter of time before it does happen. I find it ironic also how many of the very same left wingers who complain about government size and "Big Brother tactics", have absolutely no problem with this breach of privacy.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Guess it depends on the state. One "newspaper" (use that term lightly as it is a free paper) tried a Freedom of Information request a few years ago requesting names and addresses of concealed permit holders in my state. As our state laws on concealed permits specifically states the holders personal information is not public information, they didn't get it. General information about the number of permit holders, number of permits revoked due to an arrest, etc is public information, but not the individual names and addresses.