Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Gibson custom shop

Alright folks. Heres what I've got going on. I'm planning on getting a Les Paul custom built. As most on here know, Steve Clark was a pretty big influence on me and according to my fiance' I have more money than sense so I'm getting a guitar built just like this:

Its an alpine white les paul custom with 3 1959 pickups(burstbucker I think), a Kahler 2200k and all that cool shit. Now my question is do they do good work and has anyone ordered anything from them? I've heard in the past that in years past it has been a crap shoot on what you get quality wise. I'd hate to spend 6k and get a POS.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Gibson Custom seems to be fairly consistent on quality. Everything I have gotten my hands on from them has been a good, solid guitar. I think their Historic lines are the best. The R8's are amazing; the R9's are a little much but still great quality. Regular Les Paul Customs and the Floyd Rose equipped Paul's have been decent. Same for the 335's and SG's I've played.

That said; if you're having second thoughts, you could try and find an '80-'82 Les Paul Custom. Gibson was installing Kahler's in the factory on a few select guitars at the end of the Norlin era. After '77 the pancake, multi-piece bodies disappear and solid wood was being used for the body and neck. '82 was also the last year before they started weight relieving Les Paul's. All post '82 Les Paul's have 9 holes drilled in the body to weight relieve them, so even if they say they're solid bodies, they're weight relieved (though some Historics and special models are not.) The chambered guitars today are completely different.

I almost bought the '81 Custom below with a factory Kahler from a local shop here. Kinda wish I had, but didn't want to part with any of my guitars to fund it.

Always dug Steve Clarks' Kahlered Les Pauls!
    Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Well according to GC I'm looking at 5500-7000 for this thing.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.20.16 @ 05:54 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Alright folks. Heres what I've got going on. I'm planning on getting a Les Paul custom built. As most on here know, Steve Clark was a pretty big influence on me and according to my fiance' I have more money than sense so I'm getting a guitar built just like this:

Its an alpine white les paul custom with 3 1959 pickups(burstbucker I think), a Kahler 2200k and all that cool shit. Now my question is do they do good work and has anyone ordered anything from them? I've heard in the past that in years past it has been a crap shoot on what you get quality wise. I'd hate to spend 6k and get a POS.
    Hey bro. My friend owns Steve's sunburst Hamer double cutaway. I actually just set it up a few months ago, what tone!i I dont know if he would ever sell it but if he did it would have to go to a true fan like yourself. Ill ask him for the heck of it, you never know. I have a pic of it on the bench on our facebook page somewhere, Ill find it and post it

Last Online

07.31.16 @ 02:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last I heard of is that they were not doing on ofs anymore. Since coporate people have taken over much of the biz they were only doing runs of 25 or more. Not sure if this has changed.....
    House of Pain

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by davio View Post
    Last I heard of is that they were not doing on ofs anymore. Since coporate people have taken over much of the biz they were only doing runs of 25 or more. Not sure if this has changed.....
    They will. Hence the pricey sum. I was just wondering about quality.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quality will be very good, but still not worth $5000-$7000. It will be the same quality as any of the good Gibsons out there today - the Historics are great quality guitars, but they can be had for $2500-$4000 new. Your guitar quality will be in that ballpark, so make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Don't drop $7000 and think that it will somehow be better quality or playability than a Historic 58 Reissue or one of the Historic Les Paul Custom reissues. It won't be. BUT, if having that Steve Clark replica really means something to you, THAT's all the reason you need.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Quality will be very good, but still not worth $5000-$7000. It will be the same quality as any of the good Gibsons out there today - the Historics are great quality guitars, but they can be had for $2500-$4000 new. Your guitar quality will be in that ballpark, so make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Don't drop $7000 and think that it will somehow be better quality or playability than a Historic 58 Reissue or one of the Historic Les Paul Custom reissues. It won't be. BUT, if having that Steve Clark replica really means something to you, THAT's all the reason you need.
    It is personal. Plus I have thought of buying a custom which is still 3000+ and doing all the stuff I want to it but almost everytime I modify a guitar it never is the same as it was before. Like humming and stuff like that. So I figured I'd have one made from the factory.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yeah man, then go for it - if you can afford it.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    It is personal. Plus I have thought of buying a custom which is still 3000+ and doing all the stuff I want to it but almost everytime I modify a guitar it never is the same as it was before. Like humming and stuff like that. So I figured I'd have one made from the factory.
    I definitely understand paying a lot of money for something to have it just the way you like it. And doing it before you're married is the way to go, might be tougher to justify afterward. Do you have any experience playing three pickup Gibson models? Personally I can't stand playing a three pickup Les Paul or SG, that big humbucker in the middle really bothers me. On an Ibanez RG I just crank the middle single coil into the body and on a Strat I leave it above the body a little bit. There's no pickup surround on those and of course a single coil is much smaller than a humbucker with a pickup surround. I bought a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Custom brand new for $1K, love the split diamond headstock inlays and the guitar was built extremely well. Even the nut is a work of art on this thing and the action is incredible. I still have it and it looks essentially brand new, even the gold hardware has not lost any its color.

These things (L.P. Custom model) are now $4K without any additional discounts. The only other way I'm thinking about your scenario is that you could possibly pay an excellent luthier additional money to make these mods for you and you'd probably still come out ahead of the Gibson custom shop price. Now if the price ends up being $5500 from Gibson then you might be better off that way, but if it is $7000 the luthier option might be a better way to go. This also assumes you can locate a highly-skilled luthier who you would trust to work on a big dollar guitar (I know I don't know of any).

Over the years I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on things where in some cases I think I wouldn't have minded having that money back at some point afterward. Buyer's remorse if you will... In retrospect though, the experiences gained from these purchases and/or adventures were well worth it. Whatever way you go with this guitar it is most likely something you will hold onto for the rest of your life. Plus unlike some of the striped creations on this forum (which are great by the way, I'm envious) you could actually play out with this Les Paul and no one would think you are a copycat or that you're the second coming of Ed.