Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 790 Times in 476 Posts

Default ADKOT singles--I still can't believe it

Not trying to do one of those "free thread" things, but I feel it had to be said and stressed again now that it's about the one-year anniversary. And this is coming from a guy who loves "Tattoo" and agrees it should have been a single. Same with "She's the Woman."

Once again, what blows my mind (and many other peoples' of course) is the lack of other singles. I guess they technically released "Stay Frosty" but didn't push it for some insane reason. I still maintain "Blood and Fire," "Stay Frosty," and "You and Your Blues" would've turned a lot more heads and made some kind of bigger impact. Not necessarily a huge impact, but a significant enough one.

From what I gather, most fans can agree that those three songs are not good, but AMAZING and as great as most of their hits in the past. You gotta wonder what made them say "We know that our actual songs and that our actual music are what will sell our new album and make us even more money, we know that a good amount of our new songs are some of our best work ever according to the majority of our fans--who were very skeptical, mind you...so let's just try to release only two of them as singles."

What is the thought process? They have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Tell me where I'm wrong.
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 01.04.13 at 08:44 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

You have a valid question and nobody but VH knows the answer to it.
    PR was better in 2012 than it has been in years but I think most fans think it could've been a lot better. We'll see what 2013 brings us!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I think a single is only as good as the airplay it gets on FM radio. If I call and ask my local classic rock station to play Stay Frosty they wont. Tatoo got some airplay but it was weak. Case closed.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have never heard anything from ADKoT on the radio !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I think for rock bands everything in the music industry has flip-flopped. You used to tour to drive album sales, which is where bands made their money, which is tied into singles and FM radio play and promotion. Bands didn't make a lot of money from the tour, think of ticket prices from way back when, there's no way they are making much money off a $15 concert ticket even back in 1975. That's all gone now, at least for rock bands. The big money is in the tour, with pretty much nothing to be made from making and releasing an album or a single. VH has made a shit load of money from the last two tours but maybe lost a little bit of money from making ADKOT, or broke even. When was the last time a major rock band sold 10 million copies or even 5 mil on a new release? Singles just aren't important, neither is media promotion. All these big rock bands have an established fan base, no amount of media hype is going to win over a younger generation. That's not to say there aren't a lot of young rock fans, but I think those youngsters are getting that passion for rock from their parents and extended family...a cool older uncle who plays guitar and is in a weekend band, that type of thing, dad playing VH in the minivan on the way to soccer etc...

Classic rock radio, still pretty strong in most major markets, has a very limited rotation...they generally play the same songs over and over, all classic rock tunes, very little new music. So they'll play the hell out of Panama or Jump but not the new VH material, same goes for the Stones or Bon Jovi etc. Rock radio just doesn't give a shit about new music from rock bands. I have yet to hear the new Stones song on the radio. The new AC/DC a couple of years ago got little airtime. I think Rock n Roll Train was on the air for a couple of weeks and that was it but I still hear a shitload of Highway to Hell. There really is no point in VH promoting their new stuff via the radio because it just won't get played no matter how good it is. But Youtube is an awesome way of promoting your tour. Let the fans film whatever they want (smart of VH to allow this last time out, which I suspect was Dave's idea) and let the fans check out the many Youtube videos. You know people are going to film it anyways, might as well just let them.

I think it's important that the old rock bands continue to make albums even though there is nothing in it for them financially. The album format is still a good way for a band to express and demonstrate their abilities and present themselves in an artistic fashion. As a form of expression it is still important to me as a fan that a band can actually still make a good record...but there's no money in it for the artist. I really hope VH decides to make another album, maybe in 2014. I think they have a lot left to offer us fans, lots of amazing music left in almost 60 yr old fingers and vocal chords I think.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Personally, I don't even listen to the radio- or even satellite radio any more. It all sucks. I've got 8400 songs on my Ipod and it plays a better variety than any radio station ever has.

Corporate radio has killed what got it there. I really think that what helped Chickenfoot sell the first album was the internet. They did the PR machine right and it paid off as much as it can these days. I think to a certain degree that's what sold ADKOT.

However, I don't think the internet is what will fix the current problems with non-crap bands. What would really fix it is if some "outlaw" radio stations would appear and return the programming back to the DJs.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Rock radio is a damn fuckin' shame these days. I agree. Carry on my wayward son...

I still think if one of those songs were to be released as a single and pushed by the band that some kind of bigger impact could have been made since those songs are so good. Again, not a huge impact, but a substantial enough one. Pushing 3 singles instead of just 2 isn't much to ask and it makes sense to do so in my opinion.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 18,150 Times in 8,968 Posts

It's the return on investment. Let's say VH promotes the hell out of Stay Frosty and makes a video for it as well. Are they making that money back in additional album sales? In today's market, probably not. Very few are going to buy this disc that haven't already bought it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    It's the return on investment. Let's say VH promotes the hell out of Stay Frosty and makes a video for it as well. Are they making that money back in additional album sales? In today's market, probably not. Very few are going to buy this disc that haven't already bought it.
    Agreed. Seems to me the whole plan with ADKOT's release was to keep overhead low and see what it does, banking a majority of the profits. It's almost a DIY effort, except they needed major label distribution to produce and sell hundreds of thousands of copies. The fact it sold as well as it did speaks directly to how good of a record it is.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Yeah that all makes sense. Another example would be the low budget music videos of course.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 18,150 Times in 8,968 Posts

Yeah, I think they would have been better off doing videos using some film majors from Berkeley, at least they might have tried something a little different.

She's the Woman is your standard performance video, but Tattoo, bleh. I have never liked a video INTENTIONALLY not syncing up the performance to the music. Too distracting.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even if VH had hired one of the hippest video directors today with Tattoo.. I highly doubt it would have made much of an impact. It sucks but the industry right now is so focused with the likes of Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, One Direction and other pop acts that it would have never been shown. There is no room for rock bands in today's plastic, cookie cutter-tabloid obsessed pop culture world.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.