Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Al Jazeera buys Current TV from Al Gore

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Al Jazeera, the Pan-Arab news channel that struggled to win space on American cable television, has acquired Current TV, boosting its reach nearly ninefold to about 40 million homes. With a focus on U.S. news, it plans to rebrand the left-leaning news network that co-founder Al Gore couldn't make relevant.

The former vice president confirmed the sale Wednesday, saying in a statement that Al Jazeera shared Current TV's mission "to give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling."

The acquisition lifts Al Jazeera's reach beyond a few large U.S. metropolitan areas including New York and Washington, where about 4.7 million homes can now watch Al Jazeera English.

Al Jazeera, owned by the government of Qatar, plans to gradually transform Current into a new channel called Al Jazeera America by adding five to 10 new U.S. bureaus beyond the five it has now and hiring more journalists.

Al Jazeera spokesman Stan Collender said there are no rules against foreign ownership of a cable channel — unlike the strict rules limiting foreign ownership of free-to-air TV stations. He said the move is based on demand, adding that 40% of viewers on Al Jazeera English's website are from the U.S.

"This is a pure business decision based on recognized demand," Collender said. "When people watch Al Jazeera, they tend to like it a great deal."

Al Jazeera has long struggled to get carriage in the U.S., and the deal suffered an immediate casualty as Time Warner Cable, the nation's second-largest cable TV operator, announced it would drop Current TV due to the deal.

"Our agreement with Current has been terminated and we will no longer be carrying the service. We are removing the service as quickly as possible," the company said in a statement.

Previous to Al Jazeera's purchase, Current TV was in 60 million homes.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,132 Times in 8,956 Posts

I don't like this, not one fucking bit.

I am not sure how a foreign government owning a news channel is protected by the First Amendment.

The airwaves are still controlled by the Federal Government, I don't see why they would let a foreign country have a propaganda base here in the US. We have enough of that with MSNBC and Fox News being propaganda for the Democratic and Republican parties, respectively. All we need is a muslim "news" channel owned by a foreign government broadcasting here.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't like this, not one fucking bit.

I am not sure how a foreign government owning a news channel is protected by the First Amendment.

The airwaves are still controlled by the Federal Government, I don't see why they would let a foreign country have a propaganda base here in the US. We have enough of that with MSNBC and Fox News being propaganda for the Democratic and Republican parties, respectively. All we need is a muslim "news" channel owned by a foreign government broadcasting here.
    but don't americans already have access to many channels that are owned by a foreign govt? I'm thinking things the CBC (Canada), the BBC (Great Britain) and RAI (Italy).

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yes, but would you agree that most of those countries don't think of the USA as the Great Satan that needs to be destroyed?

Maybe I am not up on my Al Jazeera, but my guess would be they are not very sympathetic to western ideals.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Yes, but would you agree that most of those countries don't think of the USA as the Great Satan that needs to be destroyed?

Maybe I am not up on my Al Jazeera, but my guess would be they are not very sympathetic to western ideals.
    maybe not the Great Satan.

We get Al Jazeera tv (Al Jazeera International) - I'm guessing you guys do too. Sounds like this is just a venture to get to the english speaking community as well. Not sure there's much that can be done about it. The station is based out of Qatar and if memory serves they're a pretty strong friend of America. I could be completely wrong on that though.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yeah, maybe I am getting my muslim jihadists that want the destruction of America confused with the muslim non-jihadists that only hate America.

However, I might be wrong in this, but the federal government owns the airwaves and just lets them be used by these companies. Therefore, I would assume that if the US government did not want Al Jazeera on the air here they would make it so.

I am sure it is available to be streamed anyway.

On a side note, Al Gore is a douche.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 01.03.13 at 12:33 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

I've watched Al Jazeera a few times on travels to Europe. I have no problem with this. The programming is good.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Yeah, maybe I am getting my muslim jihadists that want the destruction of America confused with the muslim non-jihadists that only hate America.
    Then, of course, you have American Muslims (like friends of mine) who never talk about hate, except for Starbucks prices. Which is understandable, really.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

I think this is fine too. Al Jazeera's rep really boils down to A) getting exclusive access to, airing interviews with, and broadcasting tapes made by Osama bin Laden, and B) an employee (camera man?) arrested as a terrorist.

There are other things, such as saying "so-called terrorist(s)" instead of "terrorist(s)," but one big thing we lack in the US is a global perspective. Ex: we have no problem going into other countries, especially ones that are allies, without their permission, and killing people, including many, many civilians and almost 200 children. We also don't hear about it much, and we officially deny most of the drone strikes we do, especially the ones that kill lots of innocent women and children.

I can only imagine Al Jazeera is covering that, and while we may agree that we're justified, it's worth it IMO to at the very least hear about it, if not hear the opinions of those in said countries who say what we're doing is wrong.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

So now it's Al Gorezeera TV?
    Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Last Online

Premium Member

No Gorezeera is that giant monster that attacks Japan.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

No one watches Current TV. This will give Al more time to fleece the world to ward off global warming.Does Tipper get half?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The airwaves are still controlled by the Federal Government,
    there are no rules against foreign ownership of a cable channel — unlike the strict rules limiting foreign ownership of free-to-air TV stations.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Al Jazeera is the enemy as far as I'm concerned. They had access to many members of Al Queda including OBL over the years and served as their mouthpiece basically.

I am surprised there is not an uproar about this....

And fuck Al Gore for selling to them as well
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Last Online

Premium Member

There's an uproar. I argued with my cousin, who's in Georgia, all day about this. He's pretty livid that he's under contract with Uverse and Al Jazeera backdoored their way onto his television and he has no real choice not to send his money their way.

If that's what he believes, I get it. But I don't believe it. Giving a voice to the "enemy" isn't inherently bad. And I don't want to get caught up in why I put that in quotes. Obviously, terrorists are our enemy; I just meant enemies as in the collective.

As I alluded to above, we could all serve to learn a bit more about the nonUS-centric perspective on international relations. "They hate us for our freedom" is way too simplistic for that to be what people think the issues are.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 01.03.13 at 05:04 PM.