Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Default 10 Albums that almost killed a band's career.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/album...-bands-career/

I don't think I have to tell you one of those albums that made the list.

Damn... When I hear "How Man Say I" I can understand how traumatic it must have been hearing that for the first time back in 1998. Damn.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 12.30.12 at 02:16 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Every artist/band has at least one project or moment they wish never happened. VH has too much talent for one bad album to ruin their career, same for bands like the Stones and Bob Dylan etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Bob Dylan---seriously ?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Bob Dylan---seriously ?
    Yes even Bob....his "Saved" release was a bomb, not the soy type.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Yes even Bob....his "Saved" release was a bomb, not the soy type.
    Not to mention, " Knocked Out Loaded ", and " Down In The Groove ", and " Empire Burlesque ". Of course, I like a few tunes off of each of those albums, but critically, and compared with his other albums, it appeared as though he kind of phoned those ones in back then in the eighties.

But luckily, he has been on a steady roll since " Oh Mercy " in 1989. The album they picked for this list came after it, and really wasnt that bad compared to the other ones mentioned.

The Rolling Stones had another stinker too, " Dirty Work ", but a couple cool tunes on that one as well.

This is one of the few lists I actually agree with, for the most part.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few more duds that come to mind that you can find at your local cutout cd bins....

Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors and Just Push Play - One album the band was still on drugs and the other made people want to take drugs to forget it.

Def Leppard - X -I'm not sure what they were thinking with this album. They were trying way too hard to stay relevent on top 40 radio and they failed big time.

Metallica - St. Anger - St. Shit

AC/DC - Flick of the Switch - They were due for a letdown after all the monster albums they put out before this.

Cheap Trick - The Doctor - Their worst album in my opinion (Kiss Me Red is pure cheese)

Motley Crue - Generation Swine and New Tattoo -Not the best comeback albums for this band. Nikki had completely run out of ideas with these two flops.

ZZ Top - XXX - It's not terrible but this album didn't have one really standout song on it and is always a fixture in the cutout bins..I would say this was a dud.

Robert Plant - Shaken 'n' Stirred - Little By Little was a hit on the radio for a few weeks but the rest of the album was a pure trainwreck. Robert fell into the trap that many artists did in the 80's with the over the top use of keyboards instead of guitars driving the songs.

Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy -Way too much hype and it didn't come close to living up to it. I think you can still buy it at Best Buy for like a buck.
    Last edited by Legend of Roth; 12.31.12 at 12:17 AM.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Oh yeah, Cheap Trick's " The Doctor ", was absolutley horrendous. I just got that one this year for the first time, and had paid full retail price , as it was the only one I didnt have and had never heard before. For years, I wanted to get it, but was hard to find untill recently remastered on a different label, and now I can see why. L.O.L.

But I have to disagree with you on " Flick Of The Swich ". I really like some of that raunchy stuff on there, like " Bedlam In Belgium ", and " Guns For Hire ". " Fly On The Wall " was sort of pretty good too, but the ones afterwards werent't really to my liking, save for a couple of tunes, I never really listen to their newer albums after I get them, but always hope they will do something good again. I just love good old AC/ DC.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 12.31.12 at 12:34 AM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All of CVH
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy -Way too much hype and it didn't come close to living up to it. I think you can still buy it at Best Buy for like a buck.
    While I'm sure most of the forum will agree with you, it's a good album in my book. "Better" alone makes any album worth the effort.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Oh yeah, Cheap Trick's " The Doctor ", was absolutley horrendous.
    Ha! Big time. There was just something about the time period of 1985/86/87 that just made legendary bands and artists put out really bad albums. I think the overuse of keyboards was a main factor. Albums like The Doctor, Shaken 'n' Stirred, KISS's Asylum, Rush's Hold Your Fire just sound incredibly dated. The trend was the keyboard driven songs with computer like drum beats back then and many bands fell into that trap to stay modern (at the time)...with some pretty bad results.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkhawkX View Post
    While I'm sure most of the forum will agree with you, it's a good album in my book. "Better" alone makes any album worth the effort.
    Yeah I liked that song, and I really tried to like the album but nothing really stuck with me that much. I never listen to it anymore. There was just something missing for me. Forever I thought it was because Slash didn't play on it...but I think it's more than that. I know the album has some fans, sadly I'm not one of them..but I tried.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Yup, you're dead right about that, something really went wrong during the later 80's.

I thought of a couple more.

Ted Nugent " If You Cant Lick Them, Kick Them. I acknowledge many of his studio albums weren't always really that good, but this one was unbelievably godawful.

Billy Idol " Cyberpunk ", he may of been ahead of his time on this one, but it is somewhat of an anomaly to me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ted Nugent " If You Cant Lick Them, Kick Them. I acknowledge many of his studio albums weren't always really that good, but this one was unbelievably godawful.
    Yeah Uncle Ted was another classic artist from the 70's that lost his way in the mid 80's.

Alice Cooper put out a few duds in the early to mid 80's too before Trash (which was more of a pop metal album) that he smartly hooked his wagon to during pop metal's explosion in the late 80's. David Coverdale benefited big time too during this era.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Judas Priest, Turbo, Ram It Down, and Nostradamus.

Those 3 were nothing at all like their others. Very bad.

Page/ Plant " Walking To Clarkesdale ", was quite a stinker.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 12.31.12 at 03:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,146 Times in 8,966 Posts

In Plant's defense for Shaken N' Stirred, he was trying at the time to really distance himself from LZ and make his solo work different.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I really like Music From The Elder and Chinese Democracy. I also liked New Tattoo, I like it a lot more than SOLA, in fact.