Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Likes
    845
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default Condom vending machines installed in 22 public high schools in Philadelphia

    No Soda For You!! But..... Condoms, OK...


    It is not uncommon to see vending machines in schools. However, vending machines in schools usually dispense sodas, chips, ice cream or other snacks.



    When high students return to 22 public schools in Philadelphia after the Christmas break, they will have access to new vending machines that will dispense condoms according to the news on televison on Dec. 24.

    The dispensers will be installed inside nurses' offices to make condoms more readily available to teenage students. The condoms will be free to the students unless their parents signed a form for them to opt out of the program. In that case, their teenagers will not have access to the condoms.

    The pilot program is funded by the city's health program because Philadelphia has the highest known rates of sexually transmitted diseases. Twelve schools already offer condoms in health resource centers.

    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/204...dom-dispensers
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,945
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Likes
    3,517
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

    Default

    I don't see the problem with it, I would rather they have condom dispensers instead of soda machines to be honest with you.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,040
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Likes
    4,489
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Most bands have them on the tour bus.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  4. #4
    Banned! phillybri76's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.07.12
    Age
    40
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    225
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't see the problem with it, I would rather they have condom dispensers instead of soda machines to be honest with you.
    Exactly.

    Higher rates of diabetes and obesity vs. lower rates of unprotected teen sex, STDs and unwanted pregnancies...

    Give me the latter, please.

    I know there's a vocal chorus on our country's right wing that believes anything and everything having to do with human sexuality is somehow EVIL, but the rest of us live in the real world.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Have absolutely ZERO problems with this.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,947
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Likes
    1,018
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

    Default

    Yup, there should be more of this, and the condoms should even be free. Would save us a lot of money that goes to single teen moms on welfare, currently paid by you and me, the taxpayers.
    Little Dreamer

  7. #7
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post
    I know there's a vocal chorus on our country's right wing that believes anything and everything having to do with human sexuality is somehow EVIL, but the rest of us live in the real world.
    I didn't realize that condoms were currently that expensive and hard to get. You could velcro them to panties and there will still be guys that won't wear them and girls who won't make them.

    And just because some people believe in teaching kids personal responsibility and morality doesn't mean that they think that sex is evil. Our mainstream culture has been telling people that it's OK to do whatever they feel like doing for about 50 years and the results aren't so pretty.

    ( http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...cross-america/ )

    Education on sex and birth control is fine. How about also teaching kids that fucking every person that you spend more than 5 minutes with might not be the best way to live as well?

    It's hilarious how you pigeon hole people that you don't agree with.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    10.12.09
    Posts
    1,872
    Last Online

    05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post

    Education on sex and birth control is fine. How about also teaching kids that fucking every person that you spend more than 5 minutes with might not be the best way to live as well?

    It's hilarious how you pigeon hole people that you don't agree with.
    You realize you're doing some pigeon holing of your own with the sentence in bold, right?

    But that's beside the point.

    The point for me is, why does this always devolve into an either-or argument? Either you're for condoms because you are a fuck weasel without morals, or you're for personal responsibility because you're a Bible-thumping Jesus freak.

    Always the same, tiresome line drawn in the sand.

    Me? I talk to my older one about sex and tell him it's a big deal, and when it comes time, to make sure it's with someone he's committed to and has deep feelings for. Yet I also remember being a horny teen, so I tell him he'd better wrap the rascal because he doesn't want things itching and falling off, and I don't want to be a grandpa.

    So save the either-or crap. I have a teen to raise.

  9. #9
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    You realize you're doing some pigeon holing of your own with the sentence in bold, right?

    But that's beside the point.

    The point for me is, why does this always devolve into an either-or argument? Either you're for condoms because you are a fuck weasel without morals, or you're for personal responsibility because you're a Bible-thumping Jesus freak.

    Always the same, tiresome line drawn in the sand.

    Me? I talk to my older one about sex and tell him it's a big deal, and when it comes time, to make sure it's with someone he's committed to and has deep feelings for. Yet I also remember being a horny teen, so I tell him he'd better wrap the rascal because he doesn't want things itching and falling off, and I don't want to be a grandpa.

    So save the either-or crap. I have a teen to raise.
    How is my argument "either-or crap"? I just stated that I have no problem sex education or birth control whatsoever but I would like to see more of an emphasis on personal responsibility and morality. From what you've just stated, it sounds like that is how you handle the subject with your son. I'm not sure where we disagree.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,982
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Likes
    2,608
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I am against this because it doesn't solve shit and gives the impression that the system has given up on preventing sex. I am no moral prude and definitely am not a religious nut. I just find it a bit sad that when I went to school in the mid 80's, this wasn't even needed or considered. Yet about 30 years later, the social decay has given the need for this. Like gun control, instead of looking at removing the bullet so to speak, maybe we should find out why kids are needing to fuck and reproduce at such an early age that we need to put condom machines around 13 year olds?

    That is the part that concerns me. Seriously in 30 years we will be giving out condoms for sexually active 11 year olds?

    Something is fucked up in our society and we all want to turn a blind eye to it. Using shit like this is like sweeping dirt under the rug.

  11. #11
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I am against this because it doesn't solve shit and gives the impression that the system has given up on preventing sex. I am no moral prude and definitely am not a religious nut. I just find it a bit sad that when I went to school in the mid 80's, this wasn't even needed or considered. Yet about 30 years later, the social decay has given the need for this. Like gun control, instead of looking at removing the bullet so to speak, maybe we should find out why kids are needing to fuck and reproduce at such an early age that we need to put condom machines around 13 year olds?

    That is the part that concerns me. Seriously in 30 years we will be giving out condoms for sexually active 11 year olds?

    Something is fucked up in our society and we all want to turn a blind eye to it. Using shit like this is like sweeping dirt under the rug.
    Good post Ziggy!

    I guess your point about social decay is what I was trying to point to in my previous post. IMO, this is the root to most of the problems that we currently face in the US. Take a look at what these kids are exposed to at an early age combined with our PC culture of not wanting to judge anyone else's decisions or tell anyone what is right or wrong, and this is what you get.

    I'll never forget when my oldest daughter was in 5th grade (about 3 years ago), she came home and asked me what Jersey Shore was and told me that most of the girls in her class watched it and were always talking about it. And this was at a Catholic school! I couldn't believe that parents were letting their 10 year olds watch that.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,172
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,571
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    Zigs, Gavs and Todd - couldn't agree with you more.

    I'm not religious in any way but I do think that this is terribly sad...In a way, putting condom machines in schools just serves to put even more pressure on kids as it 'normalises' teen sex even more than it is already, with its constant, overwhelming presence in our media.

    I'm not a naive fool; I know that kids are having sex and that the authorities believe they are doing the right thing by making condoms even easier to access, thereby ostensibly promoting the 'safe sex' message - but, in reality, what other signals are being sent out here? Certainly not the philosophy I want my son to embrace - that sex should, ideally be part of a loving relationship, something to be taken seriously and not as 'routine' as a hand-shake.

    To me, this smacks of the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' mentality' - in other words, we're never going to succeed in teaching our kids that good sex is more than merely a bodily function and that it requires emotional investment - so let's just stop trying, provide them with the tools they need and let them get on with it - and hence the moral decline of our civilisation continues unabated...Sad, very, very sad.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  13. #13
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,158
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Likes
    1,322
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Zigs, Gavs and Todd - couldn't agree with you more.

    I'm not religious in any way but I do think that this is terribly sad...In a way, putting condom machines in schools just serves to put even more pressure on kids as it 'normalises' teen sex even more than it is already, with its constant, overwhelming presence in our media.

    I'm not a naive fool; I know that kids are having sex and that the authorities believe they are doing the right thing by making condoms even easier to access, thereby ostensibly promoting the 'safe sex' message - but, in reality, what other signals are being sent out here? Certainly not the philosophy I want my son to embrace - that sex should, ideally be part of a loving relationship, something to be taken seriously and not as 'routine' as a hand-shake.

    To me, this smacks of the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' mentality' - in other words, we're never going to succeed in teaching our kids that good sex is more than merely a bodily function and that it requires emotional investment - so let's just stop trying, provide them with the tools they need and let them get on with it - and hence the moral decline of our civilisation continues unabated...Sad, very, very sad.

    could not agree more.

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    10.12.09
    Posts
    1,872
    Last Online

    05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Zigs, Gavs and Todd - couldn't agree with you more.

    I'm not religious in any way but I do think that this is terribly sad...In a way, putting condom machines in schools just serves to put even more pressure on kids as it 'normalises' teen sex even more than it is already, with its constant, overwhelming presence in our media.

    I'm not a naive fool; I know that kids are having sex and that the authorities believe they are doing the right thing by making condoms even easier to access, thereby ostensibly promoting the 'safe sex' message - but, in reality, what other signals are being sent out here? Certainly not the philosophy I want my son to embrace - that sex should, ideally be part of a loving relationship, something to be taken seriously and not as 'routine' as a hand-shake.

    To me, this smacks of the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' mentality' - in other words, we're never going to succeed in teaching our kids that good sex is more than merely a bodily function and that it requires emotional investment - so let's just stop trying, provide them with the tools they need and let them get on with it - and hence the moral decline of our civilisation continues unabated...Sad, very, very sad.
    Gavs - I was referring to your "fucking every person that you spend more than 5 minutes with" portion when I made my post. I understand it was an exaggeration on your part, but when both sides resort to these extremes, we sort of loose the plot, so to speak.

    Ziggy - my high school years were mid- to late-80s. I'm not sure where you attended, but I was small town Nebraska, and even back there and then, sex was happening among our student body (pun!) (As I think about it - there wasn't much else to do in small town Nebraska ...)

    I don't believe having condoms available is surrendering. Hand-in-hand with honest talk and education, I think it's better to have them there than not.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Another situation where no one wants to talk about the real issue: parents.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09.26.12, 03:57 AM
  2. R.I public schools ban ‘father-daughter’ dances following ACLU complaint
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09.21.12, 07:21 AM
  3. EVH donates 75 guitars to LA public schools
    By Little Dreamer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07.14.12, 06:21 PM
  4. FOR NEW YORKERS - New York high schools
    By Puddin and Pie in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10.28.02, 06:04 AM
  5. Wind Machines!
    By theodore templeman in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.03.02, 11:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •