Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Default How L.A. regulated a burger stand out of business

Wow. Just wow. This is insanity. When people say CA is anti-business, this is what they mean.

As a side note, I showed this to some friends on Facebook who recently opened up a Little Caesar's in L.A. and asked if they've run into any silly stuff. I should add that this couple is made up of two of the most liberal people I know. Anyway, here's what she said:

We have had to abide by many expensive and seemingly ridiculous regulations but I'm just thankful we managed to actually get a business up and running and that it's successful. When [my husband] went to Detroit for training the first thing the trainer said was "No one here is opening a business in California right?" When he said he was, the guy said "Just stay away from LA county"... which of course we are in. After talking with him and finding out we were opening in LA county the trainer proceeded to recommend Dan seriously consider any other locations other than California and especially LA County. I imagine if we ever decided to try our hand at opening a franchise elsewhere we would be stunned at how easy and affordable it would be.

California--the business state!
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 12.20.12 at 10:11 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Yeah, my best friend moved to the bay area to open an Italian joint and after 4 years has finally had his ass handed to him. He was prepared for some of it, but really had no idea how brutally impossible the state is. It really is like they do NOT WANT new businesses.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Yeah, my best friend moved to the bay area to open an Italian joint and after 4 years has finally had his ass handed to him. He was prepared for some of it, but really had no idea how brutally impossible the state is. It really is like they do NOT WANT new businesses.
    No kidding. And I am pretty centrally located in SoCal. I'm 90 minutes from LA, 80 minutes from beaches and Disneyland, an hour from the big mountain towns, about 2:10 from San Diego, and 2:25 from Vegas.

In some ways, there's something really great about CA. The weather, the things to do and see, you can't beat it. But the cost is crazy, the state is broke, and having a business is a pain in the ass.

I have contemplated leaving, but then I visit my family in Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar and I think 'Why would I EVER move out of driving distance from here?'

But the story my friend's told me about Little Caesars--when companies are actively telling people "anywhere but there"--wake the fuck up, people.

It's like the Hollywood people demanding higher tax rates, yet films and shows are being filmed anywhere but there because of tax breaks. Hello!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

disgusting...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Real nice, they want you to "voluntarily" cooperate but if you don't we'll beat you down. Typical police behavior. The owner is right though, if he goes out of business his property will become even worse and so will the surrounding areas. There are a lot of town council officials that have no business being there. I don't really understand their anti business agenda. Once the businesses are gone who will they collect taxes from, certainly not the drug dealers. Fuckin assclowns
    Last edited by sickman; 12.21.12 at 05:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Real nice, they want you to "voluntarily" cooperate but if you don't we'll beat you down. Typical police behavior. The owner is right though, if he goes out of business his property will become even worse and so will the surrounding areas. There are a lot of town council officials that have no business being there. I don't really understand their anti business agenda. Once the businesses are gone who will they collect taxes from, certainly not the drug dealers. Fuckin assclowns
    Sick - I can not agree with you more!! They are treating this guy like he is a criminal because he is running a business the way he believes it should be run. It makes you wonder what a police-state like this is capable of next.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

so if you run a business in a crime riddled neighborhood you can be held responsible for the crime in the neighbor hood?

don't your taxes pay for the police?

not surprised...small businesses have been under attack from local and state governments forever

particularly small town bureaucrats who think they know it all push thru regulations without any consideration how it affects business

from how your sign has to look, to what color your awning should be to what products you carry, to adding more paperwork and licenses and inspections blah blah blah............but they never want to fix your sidewalk, or your sewer or take a police report when your air conditioner disappears

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Why did the commisioner indicate he would just close the place down? The editing really didn't give details. Something tells me there's more to the story.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Maryland isn't much better.They regulate you to death.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Why did the commisioner indicate he would just close the place down? The editing really didn't give details. Something tells me there's more to the story.
    I'm guessing the crimes committed around his building along with him stopping cooperating with police. He was violating the law. This is the problem with zoning laws, or at least one of them.