Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

Default The Van Halen Legacy

Let's pretend that VH doesn't put out anymore "new" product for a second, maybe they put out a box set of previously recorded stuff from all of the bands era's (cause I actually think one day we will see something like that).

What do you guys think the band and the individual band members legacy will be-OR-what is the one thing they will be remembered for?

******PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A BASH SESSION AND START RAGGING DAVE OR SAM*********

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

DLR's legacy will be of being the stupidest mother fucker in the history of recorded music by quitting Van Halen in 1985.

I obviously prefer DLR, but I prefer him in Van Halen, nothing else.

Van Halen has been and always will be about Ed, everyone else is just complimentary from a historical perspective.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

Similar to Black Sabbath. Original lineup will be considered the best and most relevant. Sammy will be looked to as Dio but probably will get slammed for making the band more melodic. Yes we know Eddie was writing the music but John Doe for Rolling Stone doesn't.

Dave will get props for being a great frontman but ragged on for influencing hair bands. Eddie will get most of the accolades for his work as a guitarist. Probably will get slammed a bit for his substance abuse which helped created all the numerous line up changes.

Sammy will be credited for keeping the band in line. Alex might be given some love as a drummer who bridged Bonham to Tommy Lee or somebody else. Not sure if Mike will get much mention outside of being replaced by a 16 year old. Not trying to slam him because he is much more but I am talking about the ignorant person. Wolfgang is only mentioned because of this.

The band will be discussed as wasting an opportunity due to the personality conflicts.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:37 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

That they made kick-ass rock and roll!!!

Also, one of the few bands that had success with the original and first replacement singer.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

I think most would say (and agree) that their first few years were trailblazing and innovative. They broke the mold of what had previously been, and kicked it up a notch. Their live shows between 1978 to 1984 were incendiary. You were blown away by how good they were.

People will also say that they (as a collective whole, all VH eras) have wasted an enormous amount of time bickering and not putting out enough product through the years. Missed opportunities that arose from said feuding, such as what would have been the best possible time for an original lineup reunion to happen in 1996 that never materialized, to not releasing classic concert footage or an appropriate boxset for their fans who stuck with them through all their longstanding bullshit. The soap opera drama takes away from what could have been an otherwise untarnished legacy. The "switch & bait" of ousting Michael Anthony for his own son and hoping fans wouldn't mind. I think they could have closed out their career much better than what they are. In a much stronger fashion, had they just used their heads, and actually gave a shit about what their fans wanted instead of selfishly placing themselves above them. $0.02

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

The greatest American band of all time, including all genre's.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:34 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    ...The soap opera drama takes away from what could have been an otherwise untarnished legacy...
    99% of music listeners, now and in the future, don't and won't give a single shit about the drama aspect you refer to. It is all so silly and forgettable in the big picture.

Their music catalog stands on it's own... BECAUSE... it is SO MASSIVELY POWERFUL. You pull off what these guys did, and your status in music history is set.

IMO, (although the general public will in consensus think differently) they are greatest hard rock band EVER. Zeppelin being a very close second.

Also, the greatest live hard rock band. Which counts just as much as the recordings. It's not easy to put on a show.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Eddie will be remembered as the man who replaced Eric Clapton as GOD !!!
    DLR will be remembered for being DLR
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Work'in Hard View Post
    The greatest American band of all time, including all genre's.
    There it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    99% of music listeners, now and in the future, don't and won't give a single shit about the drama aspect you refer to. It is all so silly and forgettable in the big picture.
    I don't think I can agree with that, being a first generation fan from day one and growing up with those guys. Knowing what they once were, to what they devolved to, sure makes a lasting impression. You don't forget either. It's only this last set of newer fans who won't give a shit as you say, when it comes to the drama that happened before their time.

Us older Roth era fans also were denied a final, original reunion (Thanks Ed!) and it still sets in our craw and probably always will. That, in itself, is a major blemish on their legacy imo. To slight us fans who stuck around all these years, well, that just ain't right.

Sure, their body of work is tremendous, but it's the other things that detract from the greatness. They didn't always put their fans first throughout their career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    DLR's legacy will be of being the stupidest mother fucker in the history of recorded music by quitting Van Halen in 1985.
    Lol.

Yeah, but can you really blame him for doing so when the VH Bros were being daily drunks and not wanting to "strike while the iron is still hot" as Dave went on to say later? I can't. As he's also always said: The Van Halen's are guilty of wasting time."

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:34 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

I don't think I can agree with that, being a first generation fan from day one and growing up with those guys. Knowing what they once were, to what they devolved to, sure makes a lasting impression. You don't forget either. It's only this last set of newer fans who won't give a shit as you say, when it comes to the drama that happened before their time.

Us older Roth era fans also were denied a final, original reunion (Thanks Ed!) and it still sets in our craw and probably always will. That, in itself, is a major blemish on their legacy imo. To slight us fans who stuck around all these years, well, that just ain't right.

Sure, their body of work is tremendous, but it's the other things that detract from the greatness. They didn't always put their fans first throughout their career.
    Disagree.

A team that wins 8 Super Bowls can't be dumped on because they incompetently lost out on 3 others from bad play. The 8 Super Bowls TAKE YOU into a realm of greatness that can never be taken away.

The Mighty Van Halen are pretty much the Pittsburgh Steelers of hard rock

EVH=Franco Harris

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yeah, but can you really blame him for doing so when the VH Bros were being daily drunks and not wanting to "strike while the iron is still hot" as Dave went on to say later? I can't. As he's also always said: The Van Halen's are guilty of wasting time."
    Then you take a year off. They were going to do that after Fair Warning anyway. You don't QUIT that band, unless you are quitting music.

It was pure ego on DLR's part and nothing more in my opinion. He felt he didn't need them, he felt guitar wizards were a dime a dozen in LA at the time, and that he didn't need Ed, Al and Mike.

One of the worst career moves ever.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Disagree.

A team that wins 8 Super Bowls can't be dumped on because they incompetently lost out on 3 others from bad play. The 8 Super Bowls TAKE YOU into a realm of greatness that can never be taken away.

The Mighty Van Halen are pretty much the Pittsburgh Steelers of hard rock

EVH=Franco Harris
    I disagree with your disagree.

They could have and should have ended up in the same stratosphere as Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles.

Instead, many lump them in with 80's hair bands, or bands like Styx, Journey and the like.

Instead, they became a late night punch line.

Just an incredible wasted opportunity. Not that it is important or it really matters in the grand scheme, but wasted talent and opportunity is bothersome to me.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

I don't think anyone can talk about Van Halen without acknowledging the extended period of time the band took off from 96-2012 ( in terms of releasing a quality album).

The transition from Dave to Sammy really went smoothly if you look back at it, VH was a monster band in 84 and they were a monster band in 86, everything rolled along rather smoothly for the next few years and if they would have released a few more records with Sam and rode off into the sunset I think history would be alot nicer to them than they will be. 96 was atrotious, and pretty much everything since then has been a disaster (until the newest record came out). Even this last year was plauged by strange things.

VH from 78-95 was one of the greatest American Hard Rock bands of all time and Eddie was the most influential guitar player of his generation, the band transitioned from the most flamboyant frontman in modern rock to Sam and had an incredible run for almost 10 years and then it all fell apart. History will acknowledge the problems the band had, I don't see how you can gloss it over.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I will say that the CVH era of VH probably is held in higher regard than had he never left and continued making albums with him through the 80's and early 90's. I can see see an alternate reality where CVH is blazing through the peak of the hair band era with Dave being the focal point. It doesn't look good. Huge teased hair, more spandex, the photo shoots, etc. I think had they ventured forth with Dave, it may have diminished how cool CVH was before the 80's got out of control.

With Sammy, they kind of played image down which in hindsight was good. Granted some of it was god awful, by the FUCK tour, Eddie was in jeans and a shirt. Dave and his band were much worse.

I look at it like had Randy Rhoads lived, he probably would have ended up in Whitesnake looking like a poof in their videos. He didn't get a chance to mess up his legacy just like the only crap CVH screwed up was a wasted opportunity. Maybe it was for the best considering that Van Hagar did pretty good on their own.