Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

5150 Rewind

Good Morning VH Linkers
    It's been a few yrs since I last did a personal review of a VH disc
    This will be my 1st review of a Van Hagar disc.
    I am not a Sam Fan, but I will spare you the how & why.
    I am however a big fan of this disc, Sam's 1st with VH. So, here we go, starting with the opener...... HELLO BABY!

Good Enough - A fantastic opener / Rocker / Return of VH
    I was listening with baited breath to hear what this cd would sound like and as much as I missed the original lineup, I was impressed. Great vocals, screaming guitars, mikes catchy background vox, it was all there. EVH is dive bombing in all his glory. This song rocks like VH should rock. Well done

Why Can't This Be Love - The 1st Radio Tune from 5150
    I actually have loved this song from the get go. The ominous keys in the intro and the crazy guitar riff underneath it all sets the stage. This song easily could have been on 1984. Sam's vocals shine on this song, with it's catchy melody. I like the way the guitar almost works against the keys. Ed is clearly restrained on this tune and he is establishing his pop writing skills. Great Pop Tune boys. Also, it's cool how the bridge to the solo has Sam's vocal trade off with the keyboards, sounds like bada, bada bada dadda etc. Very cool.

Get Up - Nice Intro, again , this could have fit on 1984. I feel like 1984 & 5150 are brothers, much like Godfather 1 & 2. They seem to fit together in my opinion.
    The intro easily could have been Zeppelin influenced to my ears. Jimmy Page stage left.
    Then the song kicks into a speedy riff along with Al's Zeppelin-ish drums. The vocals seem squeezed into it all. Can't blame Sam for that, it's tough spacing. Mike's backgrounds are as always, excellent. Balls to the walls rocker here folks, but one of my least favs on the disc.

Dreams - Nice intro of keys and Kramer Ferrington. Also, one of my fav EVH solo's ever on this tune. Does anyone recall the Blue Angels Video This is an excellent pop tune with SAm's favorite topic "Love". With that said, the song is perfectly crafted. I like the build up by Ed & Al to the solo. There is just something about this solo that really moves me. Corny to admit,but a great solo can make me weep. If guitar speaks to you, you get it. This solo just gets me. Possibly my favorite tune on the album. Sammy is at his all time best vocally. I dare you to try and hit some of these notes.... Just Crazy how good the vocals are on this.

Summer Nights - Steinberger anyone. Another neat guitar intro by Ed. This is another perfect tune with all the ingredients of 80's Big rock. Screaming melodic guitar, catchy chorus, drums etc. I'm not crazy about Al's Simmons Drum Kit, but Al still shines
    Ah ah, Summer Nights !! Mike is so damn good on this one too. You can tell Sam is having the time of his life on this record and this tune. You can actually hear his enthusiasm throughout the disc. He's really going for it vocally and he achieves the mark in my book.

Best of Both Worlds - Classic VH riff by anyones standards, it just gives you chills how good this one is. Note to EVH, this one is AWESOME!!. BOBW or Dreams, I can't seem to choose which is my favorite. BOBW is just one of those riffs that perks up your ears from the get go. And, it's one of Ed's "easier" riffs in comparison to his other work. It's almost Ac/Dc inspired in the fact of how straight forward it is, and it's soooo Cool Sam's lyrics ( which I tend to bitch about) are awesome on this song as well. Love the theme, it's inspirational in everway. Just give this tune a listen. If this song doesn't speak to you, you don't like VH. Nuff said, it's great. Thank you for this one Van Hagar !!

Love Walks In - Keyboard driven, radio friendly tune. "love" again is the theme on this one. Sammy's vocals are excellent again, but this tune is a bit of a letdown following BOBW. Sounds great sonically in everyway, but I tend to skip over this one. I liked the live version better.

5150 - This is another great tune, riff , vocals etc. Mike is off the charts on this one "I'll meet you half the way". Mike's voice cannot be overstated on this entire disc. It's KILLER Good!! Sam again sings about love on this, but that's ok, it just works. Feels like Ed had a riff and they kinda pieced this one together, but they make it work. I'd almost bet this one was in the archives of Ed & Al Jams. Sammy liked it and made it work. Alot of Ed's riffs are tough to fit lyrics into. It's upbeat and inspirational. I love it, it's a fun song. Ed is a "busy" player , you might say. But it's freakin' guitar geek heaven. Love it !

Inside - This is pretty much a filler tune to close out the disc. It's fun, quirky and silly all at the same time. Again, FILLER material. The intro is different, sounds like a bass run through some crazy effects or it's a keyboard, I cannot tell. VH was still trying to be fun. It almost seems as if Sam makes a couple references to Dave in a subtle way. Who knows, but it closes out a fun record.

5150 was Sam's BEST with VH in my humble opinion. After 5150, I was not "moved" again by Van Hager. That's not a slam, it's just my opinion. They killed it on 5150 though, a bonafide super disc and I still love it 26 yrs later. How's that for standing the test of time.
    Well done boys - CV

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I know love walks in is a love song of sorts but its also probably my second best Sammy era song behind dreams.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

This was the first VH tape i bought brand new in 1986.
    My introduction to VH - besides seeing the 1984 videos on MTV a couple years earlier.
    I played it so much that i wore it out.

I was an Eddie fan already since hearing his "Wild Life" riff in "Back to the future".

Since 5150 was the first and only VH album with Sammy at the time i dug back and bought every other VH album and took a quick crash course in Van Halen.

I loved it all!
    No Sam VS Dave here.
    To me it was all great music known as Van Halen and still is.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Start to finish this was the best overall album with Sammy. If only Al had played an acoustic kit on this.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Yup, I've always kinda liked " Why Can't This Be Love ". The keyboards sound is very original and it is a very catchy tune. But I don't think of it as Van Halen though. I can enjoy it for what it is.

Id really love to hear isolated instrumental tracks from this album, without vocals.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

I haven't listened to this in ages. The drum sound kills it for me now... I thumped the fuck out of it when it first came out. The cassette I had sounded loud as in my old sony walkman or whatever it was back then. I'm surprised I can still hear anything now...

I've never like Dreams, though. I do love the solo & that is the only reason I will listen to it now. Not huge on Love Walks In either. I hope they remaster the Hagar stuff one day. I think F.U.C.K was his shining moment with the mighty VH.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 1,886 Times in 1,103 Posts

In 1986 I actually listened to this album everyday from the day I bought it until OU812 was released, I didn't listen to every song but I listened to something cause it seemed like a different part was always grabbing my attention.

that said, here's a few things I've noticed as of late:

The ending of Good Enough is just f'n fantastic, I'm talking from the second the "hey waitress" stuff ends, listen to Al's drums, the backing vocals...everything is spot on.

The entire 5150 song NEVER gets old to me...what a great song.

Now this I might get blasted for BUT one of my all time favorite VH moments is Sammy's performance from LWAN of Love Walks In, I know he's playing guitars in place of Ed but you can tell he's putting everything he has into that performance. Sam might not be the best guitar player on the planet (I do think he's better than most give him credit for) but his playing fits that performance perfectly.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

Great disc. 5150 is one of my favorite songs by ANYBODY. Good Enough, Get Up, Love Walks In and The Inside are just average filler to me, but the rest belongs with their best work.

For me however, it was the first VH album with multiple songs that I skip. A trend that continues through and including ADKOT, which just makes the first six that much more impressive in retrospect, and that has NOTHING to do with me jocking DLR over Sam.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,485 Times in 906 Posts

5150, Dreams and Summer Nights are my favorites from that album.
    Good Enough and Get Up have a lot of fire to them!

The solo in 5150 from LWAN is absolutely amazing.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    Now this I might get blasted for BUT one of my all time favorite VH moments is Sammy's performance from LWAN of Love Walks In, I know he's playing guitars in place of Ed but you can tell he's putting everything he has into that performance. Sam might not be the best guitar player on the planet (I do think he's better than most give him credit for) but his playing fits that performance perfectly.
    I agree, Sammy knocked that one out of the park! What a great performance than entire show was. Really wish they would release that show on Blu-Ray.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

When you stack up 5150 vs. OU812 song for song, 5150 seems to come out on top but I think the variety and experimentation on OU812 is what makes that album better for me. For example, the song 5150 in of itself is probably better than anything on OU812 but where the band went with songs like Mine All Mine or FWYS was really impressive.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

couple things, Why Can't This Be Love still feels like a bit of a ballsy 1st radio song choice for VH as Ed is a Guitar God, so I give him big props for pulling it off so well.
    All signs pointed right ( heavy guitar ) and Ed went Left

Also, FWYS is by far my fav tune on ou812
    I will say that ou812 was a major let-down for me
    all the energy (air) was out of the balloon for me with regard to van hagar
    Maybe ou812 was great, I just didn't feel it

Also, "Right Now" is a killer tune.
    I'm not a fan of the F.U.C.K album (so shoot me) per say, but Right Now moves me

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

I agree with everything you said, except Right Now.

OU812 was a big disappointment to me, to me, again, to me, there is a lot of filler on there, the first VH album with lots of stuff that I thought was just "eh".

And where the hell is Mike? There is NO bottom on the album, I know it was popular in the late 80's to treble everything to death, but damn.

I'm not a fan of FUCK either, but I don't even like Right Now.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 1,886 Times in 1,103 Posts

OU812 is one of my faves. They do alot of different stuff on there and they pull all of it off really well IMHO. The only songs that are let downs for me are Sucker in a 3 Piece and MAYBE Source of Infection-I loved that song for along time until everyone started to rag the lyrics now I can't listen to it without thinking about them.

Mine All Mine is probably my all time favorite track, it's been #1 on my IPOD playlists for years now, everything about that song is incredible.

I don't want to break it down song by song but I think it's fantastic.

I've talked alot about FUCK, again I don't want to break it down but that IMHO is how VH should sound. Lots of people say that Balance is better produced but I love the sound they had on FUCK, it's a little more raw but still when Poundcake or Judgement Day kick in it's like getting a boot to the face, just a wall of sound.

I love 5150, OU812 and FUCK.....Balance is probably 4th for me BUT that's only because something about that grouping of songs doesn't work for me for some reason. On an individual basis I love 90% of Balance but when you put them together they just don't flow right to me.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I agree with everything you said, except Right Now.

OU812 was a big disappointment to me, to me, again, to me, there is a lot of filler on there, the first VH album with lots of stuff that I thought was just "eh".

And where the hell is Mike? There is NO bottom on the album, I know it was popular in the late 80's to treble everything to death, but damn.

I'm not a fan of FUCK either, but I don't even like Right Now.
    You know Dave, FUCK never moved me either. RHRN only recently became a hit to me.
    I'm an Insurance Sales Agent and the song just hit me one day. Everything about my profession is "Right Now". Corny metaphor, but, that's my story. OU812 was dead on arrival for me. When the 1st single was another ballad-ish song, I was done with VH mach 2 mentally. How do you go from the Original 6 discs to "How do I know when it's love" and have to pretend it's making you happy? That's why I say, 5150 was so cool and that's where it ended for me and Van Hager, aside from the sparse cool tune here and there.