VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Default The Offspring...............

Wondering if there's any Offspring fans here. I've been following these guys for a long time and really like their music. They're probably categorized as punk, although I think it's really just fast Rock imo. I think their downfall is that they've had too many "novelty" songs in the eyes of many mainstream Rock fans. I dig all things Offspring Ignition through Days go by.

Here's a couple of my favs:

Gone Away

The kids aren't alright

The Noose

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

My problem with the Offspring, and this is only one concert, so a small sample size, but they were the worst sounding live act I have ever seen, barely beating out E'Nuff Z'Nuff for the title.

Just brutal, I felt bad for them. Like their radio tunes, even though they blatantly ripped off The Beatles on that "why don't you get a job" song. Hope they paid for the rights, or Sir Paul probably sued the shit out of them.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

LOVE The Offspring. One of my favorite bands. Americana will always be one of my favorite discs. Been dying to see these guys live for awhile.

I grew up with Smash always on in the car. Parents didn't censor much when I was a kid
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got Days Go By a couple of days ago and I'm really digging it. Bob Rock produced it and he really helps polish their sound on this album. The Offspring has a knack for killer hooks in their songs and that's what keeps me interested in them. Most of their recent stuff have that big "wall of sound" that I tend to love in rock/hard rock.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I just got Days Go By a couple of days ago and I'm really digging it. Bob Rock produced it and he really helps polish their sound on this album. The Offspring has a knack for killer hooks in their songs and that's what keeps me interested in them. Most of their recent stuff have that big "wall of sound" that I tend to love in rock/hard rock.
    I actually thought the album was a big letdown compared to their last disc, which was brilliant and matured for them.

The serious songs are too serious, and the fun, goofy songs are just absurdly bad. Somehow in the '90s, around Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana they found an easy way to do it, and now it seems like they try too hard to recapture that excellence.

That's why I liked their '08 disc, because it was a change in sound that went solid places. I don't like their new one.

Dexter Holland is still one of the best voices around, though. You can tell he's aged a bit, but you still know an Offspring song when you hear it. I like that a lot.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    I think their downfall is that they've had too many "novelty" songs in the eyes of many mainstream Rock fans.
    For some that could be a downfall. I personally think it's a huge benefit. You hear their serious side in "Gone Away," but then you get their fun side with songs like "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" and "Hit That," songs I personally grew up with and got me into the Offspring.

I think their usage of novelty songs has been widely advantageous in maintaining their popularity all these years. They've helped usher in new generations of fans because they're easy to take in, and don't detract from the quality of the albums they're featured on.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    I actually thought the album was a big letdown compared to their last disc, which was brilliant and matured for them.

The serious songs are too serious, and the fun, goofy songs are just absurdly bad. Somehow in the '90s, around Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana they found an easy way to do it, and now it seems like they try too hard to recapture that excellence.

That's why I liked their '08 disc, because it was a change in sound that went solid places. I don't like their new one.

Dexter Holland is still one of the best voices around, though. You can tell he's aged a bit, but you still know an Offspring song when you hear it. I like that a lot.
    I can see what you're saying. I'm not a hardcore Offspring fan so I dont really judge their work too hard to their past stuff. They are just a fun band to listen to while I'm at the gym or driving to a bar or something. As long as they keep those great hooks in their songs I'll be happy I can see the diehard Offspring fans not liking new stuff like Cruising California but that is a FUN song for me at least LOL. I like the first 6 songs on the album for sure. There is a couple of slower songs that I have skipped though. About the only album they had that I remember not liking was Splinter.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I can see what you're saying. I'm not a hardcore Offspring fan so I dont really judge their work too hard to their past stuff. They are just a fun band to listen to while I'm at the gym or driving to a bar or something. As long as they keep those great hooks in their songs I'll be happy I can see the diehard Offspring fans not liking new stuff like Cruising California but that is a FUN song for me at least LOL. I like the first 6 songs on the album for sure. There is a couple of slower songs that I have skipped though. About the only album they had that I remember not liking was Splinter.
    Gotcha. Fair enough.

These guys are one of my absolute favorites. This is MY Offspring.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I like it as well, overall it's a solid disc. I think "The future is Now" and "Turning into you" are really good. My wife even commented that the band has mellowed a bit and I think (Days Go By) is a reflection of a band that's now in their 40's.

To me it's easy to rank my favorite VH albums in order that I like them. I would have a really hard time doing that with The Offspring catalog. I've enjoyed everything that they've ever done. Although I must confess I have never listened to their first (self titled) album, the one before Ignition.