Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Default Stay Frosty Comes in at #16 on RS's List of Best Songs of 2012

SIAP. A little VH love from Rolling Stone:

This single-handedly proved the reunion was worth the wait. Diamond Dave rides the Van Halen brothers' flashiest riffs in decades, shooting o one-liners with the wisdom of a strip-club Zen master from "You want to be a monk, you got to cook a lot of rice" to "Look beyond that kung-fu fighting/God is love, but get it in writing."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz2EmKbvixT
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Obligatory "RS is a steaming pile" comment.

That aside, I always like it when VH gets positive press. While I wouldn't say Stay Frosty has the "flashiest riffs" off the album, it's definitely in my top 3 off ADKOT. I got a little chuckle out of the strip-club Zen master comment; kinda sums up Dave's schtick these days, me thinks.

Edit: I just took a look at the rest of the list. I don't pretend to be well-versed in musical variety (I have my 30-odd bands that I like, and I don't stray much), but the only thing these songs have in common is that they are songs. ALL OVER the spectrum. I don't know how one can compare apples to oranges to grapefruits and expect to come up with something meaningful. I feel like this thread will be another round of beating that dead horse.
    Last edited by DiveBomb; 12.11.12 at 01:06 PM.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

One of my faves on the album but I could have done without Dave's "Uh uh uh's", but that is nitpicking.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

I don't like them much either, but it's only 10 seconds out of 4:05 of gooey sonic greatness.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by DiveBomb View Post
    Obligatory "RS is a steaming pile" comment.

That aside, I always like it when VH gets positive press. While I wouldn't say Stay Frosty has the "flashiest riffs" off the album, it's definitely in my top 3 off ADKOT. I got a little chuckle out of the strip-club Zen master comment; kinda sums up Dave's schtick these days, me thinks.

Edit: I just took a look at the rest of the list. I don't pretend to be well-versed in musical variety (I have my 30-odd bands that I like, and I don't stray much), but the only thing these songs have in common is that they are songs. ALL OVER the spectrum. I don't know how one can compare apples to oranges to grapefruits and expect to come up with something meaningful. I feel like this thread will be another round of beating that dead horse.
    In a lot of ways, the list perfectly reflects the current state of contemporary music. Tastes have been splintered into so may different genres and sub-genres, it's hard to keep track.

I would probably argue that pop music in the truest sense of the word (ie, meant for popular consumption) no longer exists.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

They are not as bad when the band kicks in but during the accoustic part it is a WTF moment.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    In a lot of ways, the list perfectly reflects the current state of contemporary music. Tastes have been splintered into so may different genres and sub-genres, it's hard to keep track.

I would probably argue that pop music in the truest sense of the word (ie, meant for popular consumption) no longer exists.
    I have a hard time thinking of bands like Maroon 5 and such as rock. But I guess that they are no different than say bands like Huey Lewis and the News in the 80's and Hootie and the Blowfish in the 90's being considered rock and getting rock radio airplay. But bands these days like Maroon 5 do not get played on rock radio, they are played on top 40 stations and I should call them top 20 stations because they always seem to play the same set of songs on a revolving list. Rock stations today play some of the classic hard rock songs and some big 90's acts like AIC and Soundgarden but the newer rock that gets played is what I call "Cookie Monster rock" where all they do is scream and yell incoherently.
    Time are different yet rock and roll is such a vast canvas no artist can fully paint it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I have a hard time thinking of bands like Maroon 5 and such as rock. But I guess that they are no different than say bands like Huey Lewis and the News in the 80's and Hootie and the Blowfish in the 90's being considered rock and getting rock radio airplay. But bands these days like Maroon 5 do not get played on rock radio, they are played on top 40 stations and I should call them top 20 stations because they always seem to play the same set of songs on a revolving list. Rock stations today play some of the classic hard rock songs and some big 90's acts like AIC and Soundgarden but the newer rock that gets played is what I call "Cookie Monster rock" where all they do is scream and yell incoherently.
    Time are different yet rock and roll is such a vast canvas no artist can fully paint it.
    The fact that you had to invent a new term - "Cookie Monster Rock" - is indicative of what's happened with music. It's a niche business driven by social media for the most part.

I'm surprised terrestrial radio still exists in the era of Pandora and satellite radio stations dedicated not just to a genre but to one band.

Occasionally, you have an artist like Adele who captures the attention of multiple generations of fans but she's very much an exception....and not even close to the cultural force that Michael Jackson or Madonna were a few decades ago.

IMO, music is only culturally relevant on a large scale in the context of reality TV. Beyond that, there's a different brand of smokes for every smoker.

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

This is true. Pop music will always be successful because there will be an audience that wants simple, bugglegum stuff spoon-fed to them. If there's one good thing about the internet, it's the fact that people can discover so much music that they would likely never get to hear otherwise.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

RS can eat my unwashed asshole.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

This is the first time I've been impressed with Rolling Stone in decades. Of course, I've only heard 1 song out of the top 50 (Stay Frosty), but this was a nice surprise.

Too bad DLR insisted on the "Uh Uh Uh's" at the beginning. I'm fine with the "Uh Uh Uh's" after the electric guitars come in, but those first ones are very out of place....almost like just throwing them into "Take Your Whiskey Home"....actually, it would been more appropriate there.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Very cool for VH to make the list.

That song shows you what a great band they are.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    This is true. Pop music will always be successful because there will be an audience that wants simple, bugglegum stuff spoon-fed to them. If there's one good thing about the internet, it's the fact that people can discover so much music that they would likely never get to hear otherwise.
    I don't think there is such a thing as "pop" music anymore. The bubblegum stuff (say Katy Perry as an example) isn't really all that popular....at least relative to the golden age of popular music when everyone on the planet under age 70 had heard of the Beatles or Michael Jackson.

Totally agree on the upshot of the internet. There's a lot of great music out there today that would have never found an audience in the era of the big labels.

Mark Twain

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

CGTSNM
    Last Online

03.18.16 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    RS can eat my unwashed asshole.
    I fully intend to use this to excess! Thank you!

Sent from my DROID X2

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I don't think there is such a thing as "pop" music anymore. The bubblegum stuff (say Katy Perry as an example) isn't really all that popular....at least relative to the golden age of popular music when everyone on the planet under age 70 had heard of the Beatles or Michael Jackson.
    You obviously don't work in Top 40 radio.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.