Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default CNN Blames Culture of 'Manliness' For Belcher Murder/Suicide

On Saturday, a rich 25-year-old man, Jovan Belcher, murdered his 22-year-old girlfriend, the mother of his child. First, columnist Jason Whitlock of Fox Sports suggested that this “25-year-old kid” wasn’t responsible for his actions – it was the “gun culture” that was to blame. Then, Bob Costas of NBC repeats this idiotic notion, even though the 6’2”, 228 lb. linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs could easily have murdered his girlfriend with a knife.

Now CNN is getting in on the act.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/03/opinio...html?hpt=hp_c1

Leading their website this afternoon is an op-ed from Kevin Powell, former Democratic Congressional candidate in New York, and cast member on MTV’s original season of “The Real World.” Powell’s contention: it’s America’s culture of manliness that led Belcher to blow away his girlfriend and then turn the gun on himself. That culture of manliness includes men hiding their emotion, machoness, and homophobia. Seriously.

He begins:

Since the killing and suicide are so fresh, so recent, we do not really know what might have driven Belcher to such extreme and horrific actions.

But the knee-jerk reactions have been rampant on the social networks. "Coward" is a term being used to describe Belcher. But that is too easy, far too simplistic, and name-calling never solves a problem.

Belcher was a man living in the supersized macho world of football, a world in which many of us American males reside, be it football or not. Too many of us have been taught manhood in a way that is not healthy. Be tough, men do not cry, man up -- these are the things I've heard my entire life, and I now cringe when I hear this relayed to boys or younger men by teachers, coaches, fathers, mentors and leaders.

Or we use derogatory and sexist or homophobic words to describe men or boys who do not meet the "normal" of what a male is supposed to be. Some of these male authority figures mean well, or are simply repeating what they were socialized to be or to do, and do not realize that they are unwittingly teaching that manhood has little room to express hurt, disappointment and sorrow.

Somehow, it is doubtful that Belcher decided to put a bullet through his girlfriend’s brain because of homophobia. It is also doubtful that Belcher, who grew up in a home with a single mother, had too much influence from “male authority figures.”

That is the problem for so many of us. We do not talk about much of anything, except sports, women and sex. Everything else is routinely ignored. Or repressed. Until we explode.

Belcher had problems. But to express that it is society’s fault – the most feminized society in the history of civilization – that Belcher couldn’t express his feelings, is moronic.

For the past several years, I have privately advised and counseled several professional and amateur athletes, and entertainers, all men, all grappling with very warped definitions of manhood. The recurring theme over and over is fear of expressing themselves fully, fear of letting others down, fear of not being the tough and rugged men they were told they had to be. And on the inside so many of them are damaged as a result. The very definition of manhood they've embraced is more an emotional prison than anything else.

This is probably why the one scene that is locked in for me is of Belcher thanking his coach and general manager for what they did for him. Then walking away and shooting himself in the head.

We must struggle, harder than ever, as men, as boys, as a nation, to reach the point where a heart-to-heart conversation is the first and only option, not a gun, not gun violence. The lives of Jovan Belcher and Kasandra Perkins will have been in vain completely if we do not go deeper within ourselves to teach and show our sons, our husbands, our boyfriends, our fathers, our men and boys, that there is another way.

What is this other way? Less male role models? Belcher had none. Less manliness? Belcher wasn’t manly – he never married his girlfriend and clearly didn’t care enough about his child not to murder her mother. Less traditional values? Belcher didn’t do this because he was gay, and put upon by the traditional values establishment. He did this because he had no traditional values.

If we are going to blame society for Belcher, let’s look at some real societal problems: single motherhood, tolerance for antisocial behavior, lack of behavioral standards, multicultural acceptance of sexism. But the media is intent on blaming conservative ideals, from gun rights to traditional manliness, for what is very clearly a breach with any conservative ideals whatsoever.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...liness-Belcher
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"Whatever happened to 'crazy'?"
    - Chris Rock
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

read all i needed when i got to the line cast member on MTV’s original season of “The Real World.” No thanks you loon. Your opinion matters nill.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

I think that guy's vision of current America is more 1982 than 2012. In 2012, Mike Tyson is doing a one man show, for chrissakes!
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The 25 Most Annoying "Real World" Cast Members Of All Time

25. Kevin Powell, The Real World: New York (1992)

Unlike many others who have appeared on the show, The Real World would not be the pinnacle of Kevin Powell’s career; he would go on to be a senior staff writer for Vibe in the mid '90s, publish numerous books, and make two runs for New York's 10th congressional district in Brooklyn.

Still, that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be on this list; Powell is here mainly for the fact that he was the originator of the “angry black man” stereotype that the show employs to this day. Throughout the season, Kevin was the serious roommate who didn’t mind dwelling on racial issues. His “angry black man” stereotype reached its zenith when he famously bickered with Julie, who claims that Kevin, a true firestarter, threw a candleholder at her. That's better than a TV, crazy.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:01 AM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,132 Times in 8,956 Posts

God, I've got to watch that movie again. What a great movie, I am sure some of the movie critics will tell me how it isn't great, but I'd rather watch this than most movies critics love.

Anything with Sam Elliott in it is good enough for me. Best voice ever.

And fucking Val Kilmer, what a performance. I don't follow the Oscars, but if he didn't win Best Supporting Actor it's a fucking joke. Michael Biehn, Powers Boothe, and of course somehow Bill Paxton got himself into another great movie, don't know how. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Even the great Charleston Heston makes an appearance.

Great fucking movie.

Did I mention I like it?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    "Whatever happened to 'crazy'?"
    - Chris Rock
    This

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 1,010 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    God, I've got to watch that movie again. What a great movie, I am sure some of the movie critics will tell me how it isn't great, but I'd rather watch this than most movies critics love.

Anything with Sam Elliott in it is good enough for me. Best voice ever.

And fucking Val Kilmer, what a performance. I don't follow the Oscars, but if he didn't win Best Supporting Actor it's a fucking joke. Michael Biehn, Powers Boothe, and of course somehow Bill Paxton got himself into another great movie, don't know how. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Even the great Charleston Heston makes an appearance.

Great fucking movie.

Did I mention I like it?
    It's mostly accepted by more critical people out there also. I mean, it's like True Lies, or Lethal Weapon. Well, you know. It's just fun and endlessly quotable.

I think you're a little hard on Bill Paxton. Sure he is not a great actor, but he contributed some stuff... I mean, he directed Frailty and it turned out pretty solid. His role in True Lies is funny as hell. He did some stuff. But he was poorly cast in this movie.

I'm not sure how "Manliness" fits into this picture. Yes, the US has it's fair share of macho male folks... But how does that figure into a guy killing his girlfriend and then HIMSELF? It's just silly.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Well, the bitch slap video was meant in response to Kevin Powell, I responded to the Tombstone bitch slap, and so on...it's how we roll here on the VH Links, we can't stay on topic very long.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:05 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed??

One of my all-time favorite movies. I always watch it when its on tv...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 1,010 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Well, the bitch slap video was meant in response to Kevin Powell, I responded to the Tombstone bitch slap, and so on...it's how we roll here on the VH Links, we can't stay on topic very long.
    Well, the talking points get tiring anyway. The right crying about drugs, abortion and Obama's wars. The left is crying about guns and the Bush wars. It's tired.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Well, the talking points get tiring anyway. The right crying about drugs, abortion and Obama's wars. The left is crying about guns and the Bush wars. It's tired.
    Clowns to the left of me!
    Jokers to the right!
    Here I am stuck in the middle with you

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    That kind of common sense thinking has no place in modern America.