Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Outrage over the Tuesday's New York Post cover story

The New York Post advanced the recent trend of shocking news covers by printing a photo of a man in the path of a Times Square subway moments before he was struck and killed.

Tuesday's edition had "DOOMED" in bold, white print over the image of the man standing in the path of an oncoming train that was just feet away.

Ki Suk Han, 58, a resident of Queens, unsuccessfully tried to climb back onto the platform after a deranged man who frequents the subway shoved him onto the tracks. The two had been arguing minutes before the incident.

According to witnesses, the train dragged Han several feet and crushed him to death.

Freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi was on the platform working on an unrelated project for the newspaper, according to a video posted on its website.

"I saw somebody from the side of my eyes being pushed onto the platform," Abbasi said. "There was a huge gasp from all the spectators."

Abbasi said he fired the flash on his camera several times to warn the train driver, but at that point he was too close to come to a timely stop.

According to the Post, a second-year resident at Beth Israel Medical Center attended to Han, but he never took a breath. He was pronounced dead later at a hospital.

Han lived with his wife and college-age daughter. Han's widow told the Post the two had a fight before he left home that morning, and he did not return her repeated phone calls.

Police are still looking for Han's attacker, described as a black male in his 30s or early 40s, about 5'9" with short dreadlocks and wearing a white T-shirt, dark jacket, dirty jeans, black sneakers with white stripes and a black beanie cap.

Reaction about the cover blazed across social media, and people took the newspaper to task on Twitter.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Eh, they do this because it will probably be one of their highest circulated papers. People need to look in the mirror if they don't like it.

I'm more offended by the design itself. It looks like an internet meme.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yes..I am SOOOO sure the photographer used his flash to warn the driver. He only had time to line up his shot....
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

pretty sad that they would make money off this family's tragedy like this. Gutter tabloid behaviour.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Photographer in NYC subway push says critics are unfair

Post freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi captured the dramatic moments before Ki Suk Han was struck by a downtown Q train. A day after the pictures were published, a flurry of criticism erupted — from other media and over social media like Twitter. He recounted the or deal to The Post yesterday:

I was on an assignment, waiting for a train at the 49th Street subway platform, when I suddenly heard people gasping.

The announcement had come over the loudspeaker that the train was coming — and out of the periphery of my eye, I saw a body flying through the air and onto the track.

I just started running. I had my camera up — it wasn’t even set to the right settings — and I just kept shooting and flashing, hoping the train driver would see something and be able to stop.

I had no idea what I was shooting. I’m not even sure it was registering with me what was happening. I was just looking at that train coming.

It all went so quickly; from the time I heard the shouting until the time the train hit the man was about 22 seconds.

At the same time, the perp was running toward me. I was afraid he might push me onto the tracks.

The victim was so far away from me, I was already too far away to reach him when I started running.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Never stand close until the train arrives. Nut jobs are everywhere. RIP.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

I'm surprised there wasn't anyone around to try and help him back up on the platform. You would think there would be a dozen people standing there able to grab his hands and pull him up. Then again, maybe everyone was so shocked they couldn't react fast enough.

I'm also surprised there isn't a "pit" or something that people can crouch down into if that happens. You wouldn't need to do it over the whole length of the track, just where the platforms are.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

those platforms are scary.........big ...wide open and nothing in between you and the train that is coming in at an alarming speed

that photographer was on the Today show this morning......he said that there was only 20-25 seconds from the time the guy was pushed until the train hit him.....that's a long time if you think about it

but the guy is a trained photographer who sees the world with detachment from behind a lens, so I can see where his reaction was to point and shoot......but that still doesn't make it right

he's going to live with his inaction for a long time

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Yes its amazing at how much trust we put into total strangers. Whether on those platforms or waiting to cross the street. Anybody can catch somebody completely off guard and give somebody a push at the wrong time.

Anyway I think this photographer is a dirt bag. They say free lance photographer. More like regular person who sold his photo from cell phone to the paper. I understand photographers are put into bad places and have to take pictures of horrific scenes to tell the tale. There are others who are there to help. However in a case like this, a "free lance" photographer doesn't go for the shot over helping a human. At least try and help. I understand there were others and they have to live with the fact they could try and yank the guy up. However they didn't sit there and record the event.

It's probably apples and oranges but lets say I see a woman getting raped. I can try and help or I can film it on my cell phone to sell it to some fucked up group of people who get off on that type of shit. IMO that is what this guy did.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Eh, they do this because it will probably be one of their highest circulated papers. People need to look in the mirror if they don't like it.

I'm more offended by the design itself. It looks like an internet meme.
    Pretty much. The media doesn't care about what is decent or what isn't. They only care about what sells. They just want to exploit.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Yes its amazing at how much trust we put into total strangers. Whether on those platforms or waiting to cross the street. Anybody can catch somebody completely off guard and give somebody a push at the wrong time.

Anyway I think this photographer is a dirt bag. They say free lance photographer. More like regular person who sold his photo from cell phone to the paper. I understand photographers are put into bad places and have to take pictures of horrific scenes to tell the tale. There are others who are there to help. However in a case like this, a "free lance" photographer doesn't go for the shot over helping a human. At least try and help. I understand there were others and they have to live with the fact they could try and yank the guy up. However they didn't sit there and record the event.

It's probably apples and oranges but lets say I see a woman getting raped. I can try and help or I can film it on my cell phone to sell it to some fucked up group of people who get off on that type of shit. IMO that is what this guy did.
    Some just want a quick buck and they will do anything to get it.