I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Default Unreleased Unchained Video?

From the website Songfacts.com. http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1473

" Van Halen made a video for this song, but the band barely cooperated as they had no interest in the medium. MTV had recently launched, so Van Halen's label hired the director Bruce Gowers to shoot one of their concerts and turn it into a video. He shot the concert, but the band provided no additional lighting on stage. Gowers handed the footage off to Robert Lombard, who owned a production company and pieced together the clip. The band loved the results and decided to make more videos. Their next one, which they had Lombard direct, was for their cover of "(Oh) Pretty Woman."

If I'm reading it right, there's a video shot for Unchained that was canned?

Pretty cool site. Good time waster. Some cool facts.

Mike

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 448 Posts

Donor

Actually, this website is talking about the very same footage we've seen many times - the live videos of "Unchained", "Hear About It Later" and "So This Is Love" that they made for MTV.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Actually, this website is talking about the very same footage we've seen many times - the live videos of "Unchained", "Hear About It Later" and "So This Is Love" that they made for MTV.

I get that part. What I think I'm reading is that a video was first shot for the song, that the band was not too enthused to take part in, which led to it being scrapped, thus leading to the concert video's being shot instead. That's my take...could be mis-reading it.

Mike

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Did anyone ever find out what that video they shoot in a park that had the dinosaurs in it? It was around the Fair Warning era. I'm sure there is a photo of the shoot in an "Inside" issue...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

So there are 2 names I'd never heard of before, the director Bruce Gowers shot the concert and Robert Lombard pieced together the clips. Maybe someone should contact them for an interview.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post

I get that part. What I think I'm reading is that a video was first shot for the song, that the band was not too enthused to take part in, which led to it being scrapped, thus leading to the concert video's being shot instead. That's my take...could be mis-reading it.

Mike
    You could be right. That paragraph is kinda vague.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Did anyone ever find out what that video they shoot in a park that had the dinosaurs in it? It was around the Fair Warning era. I'm sure there is a photo of the shoot in an "Inside" issue...
    No one seems to know what song the dinosaur video was for. Actually, hardly anyone has even heard about the dinosaur video, in the first place! I'll put the dinosaur video pics on the vhnd in the near future. Definitely 1981.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    No one seems to know what song the dinosaur video was for. Actually, hardly anyone has even heard about the dinosaur video, in the first place! I'll put the dinosaur video pics on the vhnd in the near future. Definitely 1981.
    Always wondered about that footage.
    What it was and where it is.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    Always wondered about that footage.
    What it was and where it is.
    Ditto! If it was a vid they made and scrapped/shelved I'd love to see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

The vaults in 5150 contain untold riches for us VH fanatics. I would probably have a stroke if I was allowed access to this most holy of places for even just a few minutes.

Seriously though, I have a feeling that VH has a shitload of stuff that they've filmed and just never bothered with. A lot of it might be of subpar quality but I bet there is a lot of great material that is just sitting there. I remember hearing of a documentary filmed around that time but it turned out to be more of an x-rated film detailing the debauchery that went on, so they ended up not using it. Then there's Dave's Jungle Studs clips that he showed on his Youtube channel when he traveled to New Guinea way back when, so it seems like the cameras were rolling even for stuff like that. We probably won't ever see any of this though.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Interesting....very interesting.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    The vaults in 5150 contain untold riches for us VH fanatics. I would probably have a stroke if I was allowed access to this most holy of places for even just a few minutes.

Seriously though, I have a feeling that VH has a shitload of stuff that they've filmed and just never bothered with. A lot of it might be of subpar quality but I bet there is a lot of great material that is just sitting there. I remember hearing of a documentary filmed around that time but it turned out to be more of an x-rated film detailing the debauchery that went on, so they ended up not using it. Then there's Dave's Jungle Studs clips that he showed on his Youtube channel when he traveled to New Guinea way back when, so it seems like the cameras were rolling even for stuff like that. We probably won't ever see any of this though.
    Ed himself mentioned that he has a ton of footage in his vault a few years back. He has footage of himself at a high school talent show jamming. I also remember reading that he has footage of the club days playing that old black Fender he had/has.

The fact that he has mentioned it hopefully means he's thinking about releasing some stuff. Hopefully, Wolfgang might help to twist his arm.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So there are 2 names I'd never heard of before, the director Bruce Gowers shot the concert and Robert Lombard pieced together the clips. Maybe someone should contact them for an interview.
    I've never heard of Lombard, that's for sure. Anyone know if he's still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    That's got to be the hardest pics to find of VH. I've only seen it once in my time here in the VH community. Wasn't that at some park there in L.A.?

It's such a tragedy that EVH doesn't see the same value in releasing any of that classic era footage as we fans do. It's such a waste to let it go to ruin. I wish someone would slap Ed upside his hollow head sometimes and tell him to wake the fuck up.

not literally of course, but you get the idea

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Ed himself mentioned that he has a ton of footage in his vault a few years back. He has footage of himself at a high school talent show jamming. I also remember reading that he has footage of the club days playing that old black Fender he had/has.

The fact that he has mentioned it hopefully means he's thinking about releasing some stuff. Hopefully, Wolfgang might help to twist his arm.
    I wish Eddie had a little more Gene Simmons in him. Gene would be selling that stuff in box sets!

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 795 Times in 480 Posts

I always assumed the pics in "The Inside" with the dinosaurs were for a "Mean Street" video for some reason, but I guess it was for "Unchained."
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x