Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default Did Gene Simmons Beg Eddie Van Halen To Join Kiss?

Kiss bassist Gene Simmons has always boasted that long ago, Edward Van Halen, while expressing his frustration over dealing with David Lee Roth, actually asked if he could join Kiss. Gene never expanded upon the story.
    We’re not completely convinced that Gene isn’t making a bigger deal out of it then it was. If Eddie really did ask to join Kiss, he probably woke up the next day with a brutal hangover and had a laugh about it with the rest of the band.
    Back in 1996, before we ran the Van Halen News Desk, we published the all-Van Halen magazine, ‘The Inside.” While working on an article for the magazine, we inadvertently dug up some interesting info regarding this rumor. We were conducting an interview with Wally “Cartoon” Olney, who was a good friend of Van Halen’s back when they were starting to get big in Pasadena in the mid-seventies. Olney hung out with the band countless times at Eddie and Alex’s parent’s house and also attended many of the band’s rehearsals in Roth’s basement.
    During our interview with Olney, he mentioned that Alex and Edward would constantly visit the music store where he was employed. One day in the store, the Van Halen brothers told him that Gene Simmons financed a demo tape of theirs, and then Olney mentions something interesting about Gene and Eddie. Here’s the excerpt from our interview:
    Olney: Gene tried to recruit Eddie.
    The Inside: For Kiss?
    Olney: Well, for something. I mean, constantly. I was at Ed’s house several times and Gene had called there and Ed was going, “No, man, I don’t want to play with you.”
    The Inside: Gene apparently has said that Ed had asked him if he could join Kiss.
    Olney: Wrong. I sat in his bedroom in their old house in Pasadena. The rooms are fucking tight. There was a little bedroom set off the back. I can remember Ed picking up the phone going, “No I don’t want to play,” and telling me, “God, he calls me constantly, and won’t leave me the fuck alone.” He goes, “It was cool that he made that tape for us, but I don’t want to be in a band with him. I’ve got my own band.” I can remember going back to my friends, going, “Guess what? Gene Simmons called Ed!”
    This excerpt is from an interview from issue #8 of ‘The Inside’ magazine. ‘The Inside’ was the ALL-VAN HALEN, full color, glossy magazine published by the staff of VHND from 1995 – 2000. It went on to become the band’s official magazine. Most of the 16 issues published are still available here. Watch for our entire interview with Wally Olney to be featured on VHND.com in the future.
    http://www.vhnd.com/2012/11/19/did-g...-to-join-kiss/
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Ed would've looked a little silly in silver make up.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Listen at 15:46
    The interview asks Eddie about Kiss wanting him in the band.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gene Simmons is so desperate to make people "think" he's relevant in the industry that he's become something of a joke anytime he makes a claim. KISS has not sold a platinum record since 1987's Crazy Nights, which was 25 years ago. And if they hadn't reunited with Ace and Peter in 1996 and picked up the clown show again, they would be working as Walmart greeters somewhere today. Their pompous and shameless self-promotion is such a sham. These days they have imposters in Ace and Peter's makeup while Paul and Gene wear wigs. All they can boast is the amount of toys they manufacture. Anyone for a Hello Kitty Kiss doll? So sad...
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 1,607 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH47 View Post
    Gene Simmons is so desperate to make people "think" he's relevant in the industry that he's become something of a joke anytime he makes a claim. KISS has not sold a platinum record since 1987's Crazy Nights, which was 25 years ago. And if they hadn't reunited with Ace and Peter in 1996 and picked up the clown show again, they would be working as Walmart greeters somewhere today. Their pompous and shameless self-promotion is such a sham. These days they have imposters in Ace and Peter's makeup while Paul and Gene wear wigs. All they can boast is the amount of toys they manufacture. Anyone for a Hello Kitty Kiss doll? So sad...
    THere is a bit of truth in that....

There is an interesting book written by their accountant who worked from them in the 70's and 80's. I wish I could remember the name of it, but its a great read. He says, that by the time the '80s started, they were in huge debt. It goes on to mention that they were looking at copying bands like Bon Jovi and Van Halen because of the success they were having.

I think it was called "Kiss and Sell" but I'm not 100%. It's a great read whatever its called.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Running with the devil
    Last Online

08.09.13 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    THere is a bit of truth in that....

There is an interesting book written by their accountant who worked from them in the 70's and 80's. I wish I could remember the name of it, but its a great read. He says, that by the time the '80s started, they were in huge debt. It goes on to mention that they were looking at copying bands like Bon Jovi and Van Halen because of the success they were having.

I think it was called "Kiss and Sell" but I'm not 100%. It's a great read whatever its called.
    I read that book. And you're exactly right. The band was in debt back then because most people don't know that Ace and Peter were still equal members receiving their quarter share of anything KISS did until 1987. So Paul and Gene literally had to pay for Eric and Bruce Kulick from their quarter share of the take. That's why they toured so much. Because that's the only way they could keep their financial heads afloat. And KISS reunited in 1996 NOT because everyone "made up" but because the IRS was trying to recoup millions the band had profited from when they took tax credits for a bogus land deal in the 70's. So, once again, it was out of need that the band toured and did what it had to keep from falling off the cliff. These days they have to co-headline with other acts and play in amphitheaters to bring in crowds. Touring in their 60's means only one thing - They need the money. That's why they charge so much for meet and greets. They might as well call it their retirement charity function. They sure can't sell records (even on a modest level) or pack the "big houses" like Van Halen.
    Last edited by VH47; 11.20.12 at 05:18 AM.
    I live my life like there's no tomorrow...

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Back in the day KISS was awesome never musically astounding but really fun to go see and some of their tunes were good.Like all rock bands they got ass raped by their management in the beginning,pissed it away,etc, and now they are trying to recoup it in their old age. To me they are a side show and their leader is a man immersed in himself to the point it makes me sick.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH47 View Post
    I read that book. And you're exactly right. The band was in debt back then because most people don't know that Ace and Peter were still equal members receiving their quarter share of anything KISS did until 1987. So Paul and Gene literally had to pay for Eric and Bruce Kulick from their quarter share of the take. That's why they toured so much. Because that's the only way they could keep their financial heads afloat. And KISS reunited in 1996 NOT because everyone "made up" but because the IRS was trying to recoup millions the band had profited from when they took tax credits for a bogus land deal in the 70's. So, once again, it was out of need that the band toured and did what it had to keep from falling off the cliff. These days they have to co-headline with other acts and play in amphitheaters to bring in crowds. Touring in their 60's means only one thing - They need the money. That's why they charge so much for meet and greets. They might as well call it their retirement charity function. They sure can't sell records (even on a modest level) or pack the "big houses" like Van Halen.
    That's a pretty broad statement. It may be why Kiss tours, but there are a lot of others that continue to perform well into their 60s who obviously don't need the money. Do you think David Gilmour and Paul McCartney and Robert Plant (just to name a few) still perform live simply to pay the bills? I think there's also always been a misguided perception that somehow because most of these big bands didn't make much money early on that they didn't care if they made money or not. That somehow they used to play only because they wanted to and now they only play because of the money. Neither scenario is accurate.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.15.15 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

In Dave's book he talked about Gene and the demo. I came away with the feeling that Dave felt Gene was courting Eddie. Did Gene try to get Eddie into Kiss? Probably, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I wonder how many others tried to get Eddie to play with them.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Thank God Eddie never joined them!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janthony View Post
    In Dave's book he talked about Gene and the demo. I came away with the feeling that Dave felt Gene was courting Eddie. Did Gene try to get Eddie into Kiss? Probably, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I wonder how many others tried to get Eddie to play with them.
    It's amazing to me how accurate many of Dave's portrayals of things are (even though they may be laughed at when said).

One thing that is interesting, if you watch that Hard Rock Cafe interview with Ed and Val...you can tell how much "influence" Val had over Ed at the time. I'm not saying she is Yoko, but Dave did imply that her influence over Ed had something to do with what eventually happened. That is obviously biased to Daves point of view...but it's interesting to think about.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Look, Gene Simmons is a whore, but he's not stupid. I'm sure he had the exact same reaction everyone did the first time they saw or heard Ed in the mid-70's: "Holy shit." These are the guys that play simple rock songs and average solos while flames are coming out of the their instruments. I'm sure he wanted a guy who could actually make a fret board smoke.

I never understood the story as told from Gene's perspective, though. Why would Ed leave a band that was already successful and contained his brother on drums? I can't imagine Ed leaving Al hanging like that, even if there was strife with Dave and Ted.

I take these stories like I take Sammy claiming he was just as big as VH in 1984; somebody trying to latch on to make themselves seem as good or better than the best thing going. It's an ego boost to think that the hottest thing on the block is begging to join your band, but it probably doesn't match reality.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 1,964 Times in 444 Posts

Donor

Just put up a second story on VHND on this subject.

In his out-of-print autobiography, ‘Crazy From The Heat’, David Lee Roth concurs that Gene Simmons tried to recruit Eddie Van Halen for KISS. Here’s what Roth had to say in his book about Simmons and his manager (where he goes into much more detail):

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/11/20/david...n-to-his-game/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 7,867 Times in 4,595 Posts

Premium Member

I find it kind of amusing how "protective" DLR was of Ed and the VH brand. Considering, that he went off first and did his own solo album later on. I mean who the fuck was he to tell Ed who he could or couldn't play with?

You don't keep someone like Eddie on a leash. Sounds like DLR was a little insecure. Kind of like, "I have no career without one, Mr. Van Halen". He seemed to always come across as jealous of Ed too.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Can't really blame Gene for trying to recruit the hottest guitar player in the history of the genre at the time. I don't think it would have worked out for Kiss or EVH had it happened, but I don't fault Gene for trying.