Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Matthews

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Chris Matthews

Chris Matthews makes urban new entry in Handbook of Racial Code Words

The list of words MSNBC's Chris Matthews believes are racist if uttered by a conservative got longer on Wednesday.

You can now add "urban" which offended Matthews when Congressman Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) said it during an interview Monday, but didn't bother the Hardball host in the slightest when Salon's Joan Walsh said it on his own program two days later (video follows with transcribed highlights and commentary):

"There's more of this dog whistle crap going on," said Matthews before he introduced guests Walsh and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Cynthia Tucker.

Really? So if a conservative talks about urban, suburban, and ex-urban voters just like anyone else might, he or she is being racist?

Do only blacks live in cities in America? There are no whites in Manhattan, Boston, or Philadelphia?

Apparently not.

But the really delicious part came a few moments later when Walsh referred to urban and suburban voting areas without a squawk from Matthews.

"Paul Ryan lost his home district, lost his city, his hometown, let's just say that, which is not a particularly urban place," Walsh said without any pushback from Matthews.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

This guy is such a disgrace. Unless you're a hardcore Left liberal I don't know how you can like this asshole being on your side. He knows no limits to lowering the bar.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 18,176 Times in 8,984 Posts

He is such a dope.

I consider myself a pretty middle of the road guy, and I lump him in the Rush Limbaugh "ignorantly partisan" group.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

He's hit rock bottom & started to dig.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

At least he is on the right network, everyone of them are as bad as him.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He's absolutely right--it is a dog whistle, just like when John Sununu called Obama "lazy," or when Palin made her "shuck and jive" comments. Maybe only a minority of people who don't like Obama don't like him because of his race, but I absolutely believe that there is an undercurrent of racism with some.

I just met Chris Matthews this week at a book signing. Real nice guy.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Real nice guy?? Do you ever hear the shit that comes out of his mouth?? He's a raging asshole who brings news and journalism to disgusting lows.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 18,176 Times in 8,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredSavage View Post
    He's absolutely right--it is a dog whistle, just like when John Sununu called Obama "lazy," or when Palin made her "shuck and jive" comments. Maybe only a minority of people who don't like Obama don't like him because of his race, but I absolutely believe that there is an undercurrent of racism with some.

I just met Chris Matthews this week at a book signing. Real nice guy.
    95% of blacks that voted for Obama, what's that then? 39% of whites voted for Obama, but that's racist, I am hearing that argument too, Bill Maher put that one out there.

There is no fucking way that using the word "urban" is racist, anyone who thinks so is reaching, really reaching.

I don't think much of Paul Ryan, but what he said was accurate and not racist. There are entire precincts in urban areas in which Romney did not get one single vote. It is one of the reasons they lost the election, it's true. But why let the truth get in the way of some good race baiting.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

this guy is an idiot.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Look at it from a larger context; when John Sununu calls Obama "lazy," when Palin makes her "shuck and jive" comments, when Romney says that he lost the election because Latinos, Blacks, and people in urban areas were promised stuff, i.e., bribed and are steeling from hard-working White folks, it says something.

There is a narrative, by some people on the right, that Obama only won the election because he bribed minorities, naive young people and women, and Ryan's comments play into that narrative. These are the same kinds of people who sign secession petitions, because they don't like having a black president.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

This is a reflection of the undercurrent in the thinking of far-left liberals: Those that disagree with them are racist. They cannot comprehend how someone can be against their point of view, so the fall back is that it must be because the other person is morally bankrupt or otherwise evil.

From where I come from, "lazy" people come in all races. I guess if you think "lazy" is a racist term, it's more reflective of your own perceptions of who is lazy than the person speaking, isn't it? "Shuck and jive" is a commonly used expression (at least it is where I'm from) to describe someone dodging and obfuscating. Shuck and jive just sounds better. Again, if you think that is racist, I think it reflects more on you and your perceptions than the person speaking.

If I describe someone as being an "urban, lazy thug," what do you think of? I didn't mention race anywhere in that description. For all you know, it could an Asian thug. But what I just described used three "dog whistle" (I hate that term) words and would no doubt be considered racist and describing a black individual...at least according to Chris Matthews. That assumption is racist and is reflective of the mind of the listener and their own biases and stereotyping.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is a reflection of the undercurrent in the thinking of far-left liberals: Those that disagree with them are racist. They cannot comprehend how someone can be against their point of view, so the fall back is that it must be because the other person is morally bankrupt or otherwise evil.

From where I come from, "lazy" people come in all races. I guess if you think "lazy" is a racist term, it's more reflective of your own perceptions of who is lazy than the person speaking, isn't it? "Shuck and jive" is a commonly used expression (at least it is where I'm from) to describe someone dodging and obfuscating. Shuck and jive just sounds better. Again, if you think that is racist, I think it reflects more on you and your perceptions than the person speaking.

If I describe someone as being an "urban, lazy thug," what do you think of? I didn't mention race anywhere in that description. For all you know, it could an Asian thug. But what I just described used three "dog whistle" (I hate that term) words and would no doubt be considered racist and describing a black individual...at least according to Chris Matthews. That assumption is racist and is reflective of the mind of the listener and their own biases and stereotyping.
    No respectable person would say that everyone, or most people, who didn't vote for Obama did so because he is black. 95% or so didn't vote for him because they don't like his policies, period. There is no "reflection of the undercurrent in the thinking of far-left liberals" that people who didn't vote for Obama are all racist.

"Shuck and jive" is not a universal, commonly used expression. It is a term historically used negatively to depict African-Americans. When Sununu called Obama "lazy," that was a dog whistle and he knew exactly what he was doing.

If I describe someone as being an "urban, lazy thug," what do you think of? I didn't mention race anywhere in that description.
    You didn't have to, it's unspoken. Then you can turn around and say that I'm being racist because I assume that you are taking about someone who is black. Nice try. However, the racist cultural narrative is already in place and people are going to assume you are taking about someone who is black.
    Last edited by FredSavage; 11.15.12 at 11:30 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Well what Ryan said was racist, then what are these quotes that have come out of our vice-president's mouth

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,"

“You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking."

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee." (About Obama)

“There’s less than 1% of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than 4% or 5% that is, are minorities. What is it in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you’re dealing with.”

Anyway there is a fucking HUUUUUUGGEEE double standard on race between liberals and anybody else. In Philly, 50+ precincts voted 100% for Obama. That is 19,000 to 0 in favor of Obama. Even Saddam Hussein didn't get those type of numbers in his hometown. Nobody talks about that. It's the 39% of the whites that voted.

Well let me tell you. The Democratic party doesn't give one shit about whites unless they are a single mom, in a union or are gay. Look at their website. If you are a heterosexual white male who is married and in a non-union job....forget about it.

Shit Eddie Van Halen tells the truth more often than Chris Matthews.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Well let me tell you. The Democratic party doesn't give one shit about whites unless they are a single mom, in a union or are gay. Look at their website. If you are a heterosexual white male who is married and in a non-union job....forget about it.
    That's what Karl Rove and comp. would like you to believe.

Joe Biden's prior comments were stupid. He says a lot of stupid things. That doesn't make Ryan/Romney/Palin's comments okay.

The Republican Party has a history of channeling White anger into votes, starting with Nixon's Southern strategy. Didn't work too well this time.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by FredSavage View Post
    No respectable person would say that everyone, or most people, who didn't vote for Obama did so because he is black. 95% or so didn't vote for him because they don't like his policies, period. There is no "reflection of the undercurrent in the thinking of far-left liberals" that people who didn't vote for Obama are all racist.
    This was in response to Bill Maher, who apparently thinks that 61% of white people are racist because they voted for Romney. So, yes, you're right, no respectable person would make that assumption.

"Shuck and jive" is not a universal, commonly used expression. It is a term historically used negatively to depict African-Americans. When Sununu called Obama "lazy," that was a dog whistle and he knew exactly what he was doing.
    This echoes of the "maccaca" episode, where a guy makes up a word on the spot and then a blogger discovers it was a racist phrase somewhere in the world 3 centuries ago. Shuck and Jive, even according to dictionary.com it is exactly as I described it, not the way you characterize it as being a racist phrase. We aren't talking the N-word here.

Just for reference, they define shuck and jive as: misleading or deceptive talk or behavior, as to give a false impression.

Nope...no reference to skin color there.

You didn't have to, it's unspoken. Then you can turn around and say that I'm being racist because I assume that you are taking about someone who is black. Nice try. However, the racist cultural narrative is already in place and people are going to assume you are taking about someone who is black.
    If it's unspoken, that means it hasn't been said. That's exaclty the point. If you interpret the meaning to fit inside your stereotypes, so be it. It sounds like the center of attention should be on the person who has issues perceiving, not the person who says something that others misinterpret.

And the "racist cultural narrative?" I'm going to be frank with you. I don't even know what the fuck that is.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.