Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

07.26.15 @ 04:46 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Jim Florentine Podcast talks VH and Beyonce on his Itunes Podcast!

Hey Guys check out on Itunes the Jim Florentine Podcast "Jim is Disgusted with choice of Beyonce performing super bowl halftime Show"....Just listened to this on Itunes.... he talks about VH... it is Hilarious gotta check it out

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

......(sigh).......another superbowl halftime show that won't be worth watching...........
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

In that style of music, Beyonce's not the worst. She's pretty good at what she does.
    I don't see VH in the same league as Beyonce. She's really putting herself out there, has made herself into a brand, 2012 style. VH isn't doing this.

Sure, I'd love for VH to go out there and play "Hear About It Later" - but only us on this forum would know the song. It's not (unfortunately) how things work in this day and age.

VH hasn't even reissued Fair Warning for the 30th anniversary like other bands do. Basically when a band makes as little effort as VH, don't expect much.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    In that style of music, Beyonce's not the worst. She's pretty good at what she does.
    I don't see VH in the same league as Beyonce. She's really putting herself out there, has made herself into a brand, 2012 style. VH isn't doing this.

Sure, I'd love for VH to go out there and play "Hear About It Later" - but only us on this forum would know the song. It's not (unfortunately) how things work in this day and age.

VH hasn't even reissued Fair Warning for the 30th anniversary like other bands do. Basically when a band makes as little effort as VH, don't expect much.
    Why would they reissue Fair Warning??? I'm pretty sure its the least selling album of the original six pack. It's easily the the best of the six though...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

Er... every other band is doing it, releasing deluxe packages with the "making of" the records with interviews of people who originally worked on them, surround sound editions, vinyl reissues, etc.

Except one.
    Little Dreamer

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

That's what's killed me about all the inactive years of VH. It's one thing to not be able to tour or make a new album that requires a fully functioning band but there are so many cool things they could have done (or still could do) but they just won't. They should've/could've released a boxset of old stuff, even if Dave vocals are all over the place they could still at least do what Zeppelin did and cherry pick from all the old proshot footage and clean up the video and remaster the sound in 5.1.

Or how about one of those "Classic Albums" dvds detailing the making of great albums. Hell, even bands like Deep Purple and Judas Priest who at the time they were made weren't even talking to each other still were able to all get involved.

How the hell could they not have released a live dvd from either the 2007/2008 tour or the recent one?

How about a documentary, or anniversary editions of their signature albums or "from the vault" live CDs or any of a number of other things.

Bands like Rush and Judas Priest and Iron Maiden do this all the time in addition to releasing new albums and touring. Judas Priest just released a 30th anniversary edition of Screaming for Vengeance with extra live tracks on CD and their full US Festival performance on dvd. And this was only a couple years after they released a 30th anniversary version of British Steel with extra songs, a live CD and a live DVD. Rush is about to release a super mega version of 2112 in 3 flavors next month, similar to what they did with Moving Pictures a couple years ago.

Who here wouldn't kill for a Classic Albums dvd with the guys in the studio breaking down one of their old albums or a special edition of something like 1984 in 5.1 and including all the relevant videos and maybe some live songs from the 1984 tour just as examples?

For being probably the biggest rock band in the U.S. for a stretch of 20 years there's just shockingly little actual product. It's amazing to me we don't even have remastered versions of the Hagar albums.
    Last edited by snowdog; 11.07.12 at 02:10 PM.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    That's what's killed me about all the inactive years of VH. It's one thing to not be able to tour or make a new album that requires a fully functioning band but there are so many cool things they could have done (or still could do) but they just won't. They should've/could've released a boxset of old stuff, even if Dave vocals are all over the place they could still at least do what Zeppelin did and cherry pick from all the old proshot footage and clean up the video and remaster the sound in 5.1.

Or how about one of those "Classic Albums" dvds detailing the making of great albums. Hell, even bands like Deep Purple and Judas Priest who at the time they were made weren't even talking to each other still were able to all get involved.

How the hell could they not have released a live dvd from either the 2007/2008 tour or the recent one?

How about a documentary, or anniversary editions of their signature albums or "from the vault" live CDs or any of a number of other things.

Bands like Rush and Judas Priest and Iron Maiden do this all the time in addition to releasing new albums and touring. Judas Priest just released a 30th anniversary edition of Screaming for Vengeance with extra live tracks on CD and their full US Festival performance on dvd. And this was only a couple years after they released a 30th anniversary version of British Steel with extra songs, a live CD and a live DVD. Rush is about to release a super mega version of 2112 in 3 flavors next month, similar to what they did with Moving Pictures a couple years ago.

Who here wouldn't kill for a Classic Albums dvd with the guys in the studio breaking down one of their old albums or a special edition of something like 1984 in 5.1 and including all the relevant videos and maybe some live songs from the 1984 tour just as examples?

For being probably the biggest rock band in the U.S. for a stretch of 20 years there's just shockingly little actual product. It's amazing to me we don't even have remastered versions of the Hagar albums.
    They simply don't do it because that stuff takes WORK to get it done RIGHT.

They have worked their asses off over their career when you COUNT UP the amount of stuff they HAVE done (even if there was a break period).

They have made:

-12 studio records
    -2 GH's records
    -1 Live CD
    -2 Live DVDs

and have toured, what, maybe 14 times...

YOU try and DELIVER that amount of artistic work... not easy what so ever

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    They simply don't do it because that stuff takes WORK to get it done RIGHT.

They have worked their asses off over their career when you COUNT UP the amount of stuff they HAVE done (even if there was a break period).

They have made:

-12 studio records
    -2 GH's records
    -1 Live CD
    -2 Live DVDs

and have toured, what, maybe 14 times...

YOU try and DELIVER that amount of artistic work... not easy what so ever

Well, my point was that most of that stuff would NOT have required much artistic effort and would have not only kept the fans somewhat satiated but also helped to market them when they were totally absent. As was said above, it can't be that hard if virtually every single other major band in their peer group has done far, far more. That list you made is about as barebones as it gets for a major band over almost 35 years.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

...That list you made is about as barebones as it gets for a major band over almost 35 years.
    Oh really... YOU try to start a REAL BAND and achieve what they've done. Better yet, YOU try to start a REAL BAND and achieve ANYTHING of notoriety. It's almost next to impossible. Their accomplishments are absolutely mind-blowing to this point. They are probably one of the last top artists that should take heat for not outputting ENOUGH QUALITY MUSIC and LIVE SHOWS.

The average person wouldn't last 6 months trying to be a REAL musical artist.

My point is they have already done MAJOR WORK and they simply don't care to just do more.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Oh really... YOU try to start a REAL BAND and achieve what they've done. Better yet, YOU try to start a REAL BAND and achieve ANYTHING of notoriety. It's almost next to impossible. Their accomplishments are absolutely mind-blowing to this point. They are probably one of the last top artists that should take heat for not outputting ENOUGH QUALITY MUSIC and LIVE SHOWS.

The average person wouldn't last 6 months trying to be a REAL musical artist.

My point is they have already done MAJOR WORK and they simply don't care to just do more.
    Where the hell do you see where I said they weren't accomplished? I just wrote "biggest rock band in the U.S. for a stretch of 20 years". My point was that exactly because they are so accomplished it's strange that by comparison to other mega bands they've released so little. I'm sorry you're so angry or bitter about being a musician but nowhere did I say I could do more, I said virtually every single one of their peers has done far more which is just inarguable. It's not a contest, it's just that it's a glaring difference.

Besides, even though I'd love some of that stuff I'm not even really complaining as much as I am just puzzled. They could have had a steady stream of releases of the type that would require extremely little effort or time commitment and it would have been cheap and simple marketing and income when they were doing nothing else for a long time. I'm just curious if they're even aware about how unusual they are in that respect. If they are and just don't care then that's fine, it's their band. I love the band, I'd just like to know what their thought process is on that stuff.

And by the way, I've played guitar for 25 years and even though my abilities are insignificant by most professional measures I guarantee you I can play guitar better than Eddie could do my job (or probably any job) so that "Why don't you try it and see how hard it is?" stuff works both ways.

(See the wink? I'm just joking)

Favorite VH Album

All of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could Van Halen have turned down the NFL because of Eddie's recovery? They may have been the band but, health issues forced them to decline?
    9/25/2004 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
    1/26/2008 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

Not sure what Noise is getting so upset about.

It is just a simple fact, they do far less than most of their peers in terms of product.

In thirty four years they have released twelve albums, not really barn burning, especially when you consider how they released six in their first seven years, and six in the last twenty seven.

Not meant as a criticism, just curious as to why.

DLR once said that VH always wanted to leave the fan wanting more, so in that regard, they succeeded!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They could have had a steady stream of releases of the type that would require extremely little effort or time commitment and it would have been cheap and simple marketing and income when they were doing nothing else for a long time. I'm just curious if they're even aware about how unusual they are in that respect. If they are and just don't care then that's fine, it's their band. I love the band, I'd just like to know what their thought process is on that stuff.
    The sad thing is for those years that nothing came out... the Van Halen ship was without a captain. Eddie was in REALLY bad shape and I don't think Alex is very business savvy to oversee band projects like boxsets to be honest. Mike was a non factor. Most of VH's peers has at least one band member that tries to keep their "brand" going in some fashion. VH just didn't have that one member until Wolf became that person. Warner Brothers I'm sure tried to get more out of them but with no leader in the band (and really there was no band for several years) they just gave up.... but thankfully they remastered the Roth era cds before they threw in the towel. They were lucky that Alex got Sam back in for a short while for the The Best of Both Worlds release. Frankly...Wolf has saved this band and brought it back from the dead. He was able to convince Ed to get Dave back and tour and make a new album. If it wasn't for him I don't think we would have seen anything Van Halen released to this day.
    Last edited by Legend of Roth; 11.08.12 at 02:39 AM.
    “You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. It’s hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry.” --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Not sure what Noise is getting so upset about.

It is just a simple fact, they do far less than most of their peers in terms of product.

In thirty four years they have released twelve albums, not really barn burning, especially when you consider how they released six in their first seven years, and six in the last twenty seven.

Not meant as a criticism, just curious as to why.

DLR once said that VH always wanted to leave the fan wanting more, so in that regard, they succeeded!

Agreed, but like I said, I'm not even really talking about actual studio albums or tours. That requires a fully (or mostly) functioning band and we all know they were simply broken down for a long time. That's totally understandable to me.

But simply signing off on a deluxe edition of an old album or releasing a boxset or sitting down for interviews for a Classic Albums dvd or band documentary doesn't even require the band to be in the same room or do much work. And it's certainly not "artistically demanding".

If in 2003 Warner Bros. said to Ed (when he wasn't in much shape to do anything on his own and hadn't for 5 years) "Hey, we want to release a 25th anniversary version of the first album with some bonus demo and live tracks and new photos and liner notes and stuff. Just sign off on it and we'll send you your money" what would he have said? Why wouldn't he have done stuff like that? Warner Bros. must have known they were sitting on easy money on re-releases alone. They must have tried at some point.

And again, for Noise Next Door, I'm not saying they suck because they haven't, or they don't care about the fans, or anything negative about them at all. Simply that their lack of those types of products for such a popular and long running band stands out like a sore thumb compared to everyone else.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    The sad thing is for those years that nothing came out... the Van Halen ship was without a captain. Eddie was in REALLY bad shape and I don't think Alex is very business savvy to oversee band projects like boxsets to be honest. Mike was a non factor. Most of VH's peers has at least one band member that tries to keep their "brand" going in some fashion. VH just didn't have that one member until Wolf became that person. Warner Brothers I'm sure tried to get more out of them but with no leader in the band (and really there was no band for several years) they just gave up.... but thankfully they remastered the Roth era cds before they threw in the towel. They were lucky that Alex got Sam back in for a short while for the The Best of Both Worlds release. Frankly...Wolf has saved this band and brought it back from the dead. He was able to convince Ed to get Dave back and tour and make a new album. If it wasn't for him I don't think we would have seen anything Van Halen released to this day.
    I totally agree about Wolfgang. If we see any sort of deluxe re-releases or archive stuff it'll likely be because he decides to do it someday.