Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 11,790 Times in 6,535 Posts

Premium Member

Default President Obama booed during Clemson game

CLEMSON, S.C. —
    The president of Clemson University is chastising those who booed President Barack Obama during the college’s Military Appreciation Day at last weekend's game.

During the university’s annual event that was held this year during the Clemson vs. Virginia Tech game on Saturday, a ceremony was held to induct ROTC cadets into the military.

The ceremony was disrupted by booing from some fans in the stands.

In an email with the subject line, “Dear Clemson Family: Focus on Positive Dialogue and a Civil Discourse,” Clemson University president James Barker addressed the behavior at the football game.

He wrote: “Saturday’s football game marked Clemson’s annual observance of Military Appreciation Day, a time when we pay tribute to veterans, men and women currently serving and those who gave their lives to protect us. Clemson has a strong military heritage, and this day is always a special occasion.

“Unfortunately, the day was marred by bad behavior from some fans. During the ceremony inducting ROTC cadets into the military, a number of fans booed during the section of the oath they take to obey the President of the United States.

“I understand that we are in the home stretch of a heated presidential election and that freedom of speech is a right which makes our country great. Regardless of one’s political leanings, however, this ceremony was a sacred moment to the recruits, their families, and many others in attendance. Many Clemson people have contacted me to express their sadness and disappointment at this public display of disrespect for the office of the President and the young people taking a solemn oath that day. I share those sentiments.

“As the election draws closer, negative campaigning is intensifying on both sides. The heated rhetoric and lack of civility we hear every day on TV, radio and in social media can be contagious. But it is possible to hold opposing viewpoints and debate issues without rancor and disrespect -- as demonstrated at a recent Strom Thurmond Institute roundtable discussion with political science Professors Bruce Ransom and Dave Woodard.

“Political campaigns seek to divide us -- to highlight differences in order to drive us into opposing camps. I believe there is far more that unites us, as Americans and members of the Clemson family. These include:

Our core Clemson values of honesty, integrity and respect for others.
    Our respect for the military and support for our servicemen and women.
    Our respect for the Constitution they are sworn to uphold, which is clear in placing ultimate authority in our civilian Commander-in-Chief, the President.

“Passion about issues, commitment to candidates and participation in the democratic process are all vitally important. But when the voting is done, we have one President and he is President of us all.

“After Nov. 6, our nation will need to work together to solve the many challenges that lie ahead. Engaging in positive dialogue and choosing the right time and place to voice our opinions will help us do that.”

Sarah Smoak, is a Clemson senior who said she's voting for Obama.

"Regardless of who you are voting for, I think you should support the office of the President," said Smoak.

Junior Ben Cook said he's voting for Romney.

"The first amendment means a right of free speech, but there is a time and a place for it, and that was neither the time nor the place," said Cook.

Staff member Michael Seigler said he's undecided as to who he'll vote for in the Presidential Election.

"I understand it's a heated time with the election coming up, but for a moment like that, that's special for those people who are pledging that oath. I think you can be a little more respectful," said Seigler.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...#ixzz2AFhK1x9J
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

classy

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

I agree that it is not the time and place for it, but our society has an ever increasing lack of decorum, so I am not surprised.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Liked 11,790 Times in 6,535 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    classy
    I do not condone what they did. They are military and you are supposed to respect the office if not the man. The fact that this happened is a big deal because the military does not boo the president. It does, however, speak volumes.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I do not condone what they did. They are military and you are supposed to respect the office if not the man. The fact that this happened is a big deal because the military does not boo the president. It does, however, speak volumes.
    yes it speaks volume. Speaks to the complete lack of class found in today's society.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Speaks volumes about how the military feels about him.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    did i misread it? it was fans at the game that booed (likely students), not the military themselves.

Either way, it's pathetic behaviour.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Someone in politics got booed at a sporting event? Shocking! Couldn't find any video of it yet online, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was like many of these other clips where somebody tries to make a big story because a few people booed and are hardly even audible.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,488 Times in 1,017 Posts

Premium Member

I remember hearing from republicans how booing the President like that was "not american" under Bushes terms. I bet those same people don't feel that way now. Honestly, let them voice their opinions. I don't agree with people dragging a Presidents dead mother through the ground or something like that, but Obama deserves to get booed just as Bush did.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    did i misread it? it was fans at the game that booed (likely students), not the military themselves.

Either way, it's pathetic behaviour.
    I could care less. He's a terrible President. Just like Bush was.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

you won't hear me argue that.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

The headline makes it appear that Obama was there and was booed. The idiots showed complete and utter disrespect to their classmates, their school, themselves, their country and most importantly...the military. No matter what your political persuasion, that oath is sacred to those who recited it when they joined the military.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Call me crazy, but the booing might have something to do with the continued participation in meaningless, never-ending, no-win wars.

Agreed. The last 12 years have been a fucking nightmare....Romney is no Savior.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:04 AM
    Liked 4,811 Times in 2,456 Posts

Premium Member

Honestly people really don't give a shit about the wars unless it suits their agenda. I remember when Iraq was in the shit hole and you would see liberal after liberal on TV saying we needed to get out. Calling Bush Hitler, Stalin, a war criminal, etc. That was because Bush was a Republican. Obama is losing as many people over in Afghanistan which honestly is far less strategic than Iraq yet no liberals are chiming in nightly on the news shows. Yes some are upset but compared to the coverage for Iraq it is far less. The reason is because Obama is Democrat. Obama claims victory in Iraq however that never would have happened had the Bush Surge never took place. He was against it yet it was what allowed him to leave Iraq.

The same is said of the Conservatives ripping Obama for basically following the same strategy as Bush. They would be loving Drone Bombings had it been ordered from a Republican.

I don't see yellow ribbons any more around trees. I doubt the USO is getting toilet paper, shaving cream, candy bars, etc being dropped off. Nobody cares. They see deaths and just blame the other party.

Democrats on a whole are very unpopular in the military community because generally you receive more funding when the GOP is in office. I remember during the 90's drawdown, we would boo Clinton when he was speaking on screen. The only Democrat that was popular was Sam Nunn because he was against letting gays in the military. Not saying it is right but then again the black community hates Republicans for what valid reason? It's all perception.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

Good post.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!