Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Chinese telecom giant eyed as US security threat

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_16...curity-threat/

Huawei, a global Chinese telecommunications equipment manufacturer already doing limited business in the U.S., poses a threat to national and corporate security say members of the U.S. House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Those congressmen speak to Steve Kroft for a 60 Minutes investigation to be broadcast Sunday, Oct. 7 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7:00 p.m. PT.

The world's largest maker of telecommunications equipment has been under investigation for the past year by the committee, which will issue its report on the Chinese company on Monday. The committee's chair, Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), tells Kroft, "If I were an American company today...and you are looking at Huawei, I would find another vendor if you care about your intellectual property, if you care about your consumers' privacy, and you care about the national security of the United States of America."

Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-Md.) adds, "One of the main reasons we are having this investigation is to educate the citizens in business...in the telecommunications world."

The committee believes allowing Huawei to build and maintain large swaths of America's telecommunications infrastructure opens a door for the Chinese government to spy on the U.S. government and engage in industrial espionage.

Says Jim Lewis, a former U.S. government foreign technology analyst, "It's a strategic industry in the sense that an opponent can gain serious advantage...from being able to exploit the telecommunications network." Asked by Kroft if Huawei were to be approached by the Chinese government and asked to spy on the U.S., could they refuse, Lewis replies, "It would be very difficult for them. The state tells them what to do and they do it."

Huawei is doing business in Kansas currently, among a few other small, rural markets. In Dodge City, it's providing fast wireless Internet communications. The president of United Wireless, Craig Mock, tells Kroft he did business with Huawei because he didn't know of any other American company that made the equipment he needed. Mock was visited by federal agents after signing his deal with Huawei.

The U.S. invented and developed the telecommunications industry, but is largely out of the business now. The only U.S. supplier that competes with Huawei is Cisco, and they don't make every component necessary for today's 4G networks. There have been charges of industrial espionage against it that Huawei has settled with Cisco and Motorola. Lewis, now a fellow at the Center for Strategic & International Studies, says the company grew to its enormous size with massive financial help from the Chinese government.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

The Chinese are and have been, invading America.

They don't even have to fire a single shot because they're doing it legally and economically. I always hear our politicians say that the Chinese need us just as much as we need them. Bullshit.

We've sold our economic souls and we're going to pay for it dearly, one day.
    Last edited by CaboChris; 10.07.12 at 12:57 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The Chinese are and have been, invading America.

They don't even have to fire a single shot because they're doing it legally and economically. I always hear our politicians say that the Chinese need us just as much as we need them. Bullshit.

We've sold our economic souls and we're going to pay for it dearly, one day.
    agreed!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

I am surprised people find this stuff shocking anymore honestly, especially the part about the company receiving help from the Chinese government...

ya think?

As said above, we did it to our ourselves
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 18,093 Times in 8,939 Posts

I am in security briefings every once in a while to keep up on my clearance, and let me tell you, you guys have no idea how much China is doing. They are attacking us in cyber-space and intellectual property a million times a day.

They are our enemy as much as the Soviet Union was, and them holding so much of our debt is a real security threat. They could absolutely wreck the US economy if they wanted to. It is not just the Treasuries that they hold, but the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae and other US debt that they hold that most people are not aware of.

They could dump all our debt on the market at once and fucking ass plow our economy if they wanted to.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Looks like MacArthur was right after all.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Looks like MacArthur was right after all.
    Oh, he was always right about that. Problem was, obeying orders is part of a soldiers job, even one who was known for having a large God complex (he sorta forgot that part)

However, I agree wholeheartedly

I will be very interested to see how this relationship plays out over the next 10-12 years
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am in security briefings every once in a while to keep up on my clearance, and let me tell you, you guys have no idea how much China is doing. They are attacking us in cyber-space and intellectual property a million times a day.

They are our enemy as much as the Soviet Union was, and them holding so much of our debt is a real security threat. They could absolutely wreck the US economy if they wanted to. It is not just the Treasuries that they hold, but the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae and other US debt that they hold that most people are not aware of.

They could dump all our debt on the market at once and fucking ass plow our economy if they wanted to.
    I'm sure I don't know, but China is a real threat I think.