Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Administration urging companies to ignore the WARN Act?

Administration again urges contractors not to warn of layoffs, despite defense cuts

The Obama administration's Office of Management and Budget is now promising to compensate defense contractors for any legal penalties that would stem from violating the WARN Act, a federal law that requires employers to warn employees at least 60 days in advance of mass layoffs. The Obama administration had already been urging contractors to ignore the WARN Act in the case of the looming sequestration cuts, since the 60-day-minimum would mean hundreds of thousands of employees could get notices of pending layoffs just days before the presidential election. But it’s one thing for the Obama administration to tell contractors.

The Obama administration is coming under fire for encouraging companies affected by the looming sequestration cuts to hold off issuing layoff notices as required by law, saying the WARN Act doesn't apply in this situation.

Sequestration was developed as part of the Budget Control Act of 2011, which raised the federal debt ceiling and promised to cut budget deficits by at least $2.1 trillion from 2012 to 2021. If the cuts weren't enacted, sequestration would automatically kick in, resulting in $1.2 trillion in mandatory cuts. Of that $1.2 trillion, $500 billion in cuts would apply to the military.

Under the requirements of the WARN Act, private-sector employers with 100 or more full-time employees are expected to give workers at last 60 days notice of plant closings and layoffs. Without warnings, employees can sue. That 60-day limit would hit many companies right before the November election.

A recent report warned that the sequestration cuts could push unemployment back above 9 percent and reduce projected growth in 2013 by two-thirds as millions of workers lose their jobs. Estimates for job loss include 48,059 health care jobs 98,953 construction jobs, 473,250 manufacturing jobs and 617,449 federal jobs.

In July, the White House released a memo stating it was "neither necessary nor appropriate" for federal contractors to provide WARN Act notices due to uncertainty about whether or not sequestration will occur.

On Friday, the Office of Management and Budget told contractors that if they do not issue mass layoff warnings, consistent with DOL guidance, then contractors will be compensated for legal costs if layoffs occur due to sequestration. The legal fees will be covered regardless of the outcome of the litigation, the White House memo said.

Lockheed Martin and the U.S. arm of Britain's BAE Systems announced they would not issue WARN Act notices after the White House released its additional guidance.

Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Kelly Ayotte, R-NH, sent a letter requesting more information from the White House about the new guidance, saying it could cost taxpayers billions.

"What the administration has done raises serious questions," Grassley said. "In our letter of inquiry, we're asking what authority the administration is using to say it is okay to disregard the law and commit to pay for monetary judgments and other expenses resulting from lawsuits. If workers aren't given the notice they're due, the cost could amount to billions of dollars for taxpayers. The public deserves answers and accountability without delay."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

This is just another reason to point at our system and use the phrase "it's broke"

The worst part is that many non-informed people will be "okay" with this
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,190 Times in 8,988 Posts

As a person who is involved in DOD and Intelligence Community contracting every day, this is unbelievable if true.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

What's next, going to tell companies to disregard the Buy America ACT.

Defense contractors must be using up every dollar that was appropriated to them this year though, my business has seen a huge spike in orders from one of our customers that deals with the DOD.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

The writing is on the walll for defense contractors, and they know it.

The budget can only be balanced by dealing with three items: Social Security, Medicare, and defense spending.

Defense spending is going to go down in proportion to GDP, anyone with half a brain can see it.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    As a person who is involved in DOD and Intelligence Community contracting every day, this is unbelievable if true.
    Of course it's true. If something this slimy is going on you can be sure Obama has his dirty little fingers all over it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

The writing is on the walll for defense contractors, and they know it.

The budget can only be balanced by dealing with three items: Social Security, Medicare, and defense spending.

Defense spending is going to go down in proportion to GDP, anyone with half a brain can see it.
    We can safely cut back on defense spending. We can cut the waste and continue to keep our military strong.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

100% agree. We just need other countries to start defending themselves.

We have no need for the incredible amount of overseas bases that we have.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Stupid question

What is the upside for any of these contractors to go along with the White House on this? To have the posssiblility of legal bills being paid that won't even exist if they issue the WARN notices? With 8% unemployment are they worried about a mass exodus of employees once the notices are issued?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Lifelong govies need to be ready, the gravy train is going to slow down here in the next ten years, a lot of borderline quality contractors are going to be out of work.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Lifelong govies need to be ready, the gravy train is going to slow down here in the next ten years, a lot of borderline quality contractors are going to be out of work.
    Too bad that the same is not for sure with the "do nothing" congressman and senators"
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Lockheed Martin To Lay Off 123,000 Employees

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.co...-follow/24997/

President Obama’s administration has asked Lockheed Martin to delay its announcement of the layoffs of 123,000 employees to make the unemployment numbers look much better. Lockheed Martin is one of several defense contractors ready to lay off tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of people after the election. These numbers may indeed rocket the unemployment figures past 8%.

The layoff notice announcement came by way of Yahoo.com on October 1, 2012 and was quickly buried apparently to fool the voters into believing the economy is much better than represented.

“It’s difficult to understate the importance of Lockheed Martin‘s latest announcement on the race for the White House: the defense contractor said on Monday it will not be issuing employee layoff notices to 123,000 workers on Nov. 2—just four days before the presidential election. Amidst all of the super PACs and campaign ads, the threat of telling a sizable chunk of voters in key areas of the country that they could lose their jobs if the election didn’t go Lockheed’s way was one of the most potent examples of corporate electioneering. But the layoff threat was largely unreported outside of Beltway trade publications. Here’s why today’s announcement matters:” More…

Basically the bottom may fall out of the economy after November 6, 2012 with hundreds of thousands to be laid off. This would be devastating. Defense contractors agreed to delay the announcements in a sweetheart deal where the White House will pick up any costs associated with these layoffs.

“Lockheed, one of the biggest employers in the key battleground state of Virginia, previously warned it would have to issue notices to employees, required by law, due to looming defense cuts set to begin to take effect after Jan. 2 because of the failure of the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction — the so-called Super-committee, which was created to find a way to cut $1.5 trillion from the federal deficit over the next decade.” More

This move to delay the announcements of these massive layoffs and cover the costs was totally illegal according to Senator Lindsey Graham. And remember, if you watched the third presidential debates President Obama assured the 70 or so million viewers that these cuts in defense “would not happen.”

“Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) says that he will do anything he can to block the Obama administration from reimbursing defense contractors for severance costs if the firms don’t send layoff notices to employees. The Obama administration issued guidance Friday that said defense firms’ costs would be covered if they have to layoff workers due to canceled contracts under the across-the-board cuts set to take effect Jan. 2. The layoff notices have become a politically charged issue because they could have come just four days ahead of the election because of a 60-day notice required by federal law for mass layoffs.”More…

There is a greater message here from the American people greater than their horror of how the president plans on destroying our military.

In less than 72 hours we will know if we have a new president or not. It does appear that the majority of Americans are tired of the change President Obama had in mind. Change in the form of crushing unemployment, a stagnant economy, 50 million people on food stamps, 23 million unemployed or under employed, a second world America, gutting the defense sector etc. are not what Americans had in mind when they heard the president first promise change. Americans feel that they were scammed in a classic bait and switch fashion.

The greater message that is getting louder and louder to President Obama is that the majority of Americans are saying to him.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Obama is destroying this country. Can we just vote him the fuck out already!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I don't get why it's even close. Obama has done absolutely nothing to deserve 4 more years. He's a first class dick head and a horrible President. He had his chance and he blew it.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I don't get why it's even close. Obama has done absolutely nothing to deserve 4 more years. He's a first class dick head and a horrible President. He had his chance and he blew it.
    He is one of the worst Presidents in history no doubt. It's unbelievable that he's probably going to win again.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!