Favorite VH Album

Each one has it's merits
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.09.14 @ 04:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default roller nuts

hey guys; had a quick look and noticed a lot of threads have gone since i was last here. anyway to my question:

what's the score with roller nuts? i'm looking at getting one but LSR ones seem well expensive. i found some much cheaper on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-ROL...ht_2105wt_1032

are these anywhere near as good as the LSR nut? and because they're like 12mm can i fit one to a 70s strat or will the truss rod bullet get in the way?

cheers

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Just my two cents.
    Roller nuts are a cool invention. I have tried them and they do have benefits but keep this in mind.

Re: the trussrod bullet...It shouldn't be a problem, but I will stress that when I installed mine, I did have a little contact, so I had to machine the bullet down a little, but you'll just have to measure yours before hand if you can. It seemed like the bullet on mine sat a little higher than normal, and strangely enough when I talked to a guy about it, he said they were made to accommodate the 70's Fender bullet truss rod adjustment. Weird.
    Like I said...Double check...That aside.

Here's the deal with them. In theory, they are a great idea. Strings won't hang up like they can in conventional slots causing poor return to pitch with heavy trem use or even even heavy bending....but, they are not the be it end all, and they WON'T totally eliminate this.

Number one, they are only as good as the tuners, and number two, they are still sensitive to how you wrap your strings around the posts.
    Assuming your tuners are top notch...possibly lockers, then that's one issue down, but the wrap has to be real snug with a clean wind down the post to eliminate bind or slippage. No big deal, but I've seen plenty of sloppy tuner posts on guys guitars.... it happens!
    Now the only other issue I have with them is with the roller bearings themselves.
    On cheaper models, they can get a little sloppy, and can still introduce a bit of mechanical noise, not unlike a conventional nut like pings, little creaks, and in bad cases, a metallic rattle or ringing. Usually this is avoided by cleaning the nut, and applying some lubricant to each of the needle bearings regularily.

That aside, the LRS nuts are definetely the ones worth the money if you want to go the roller route. The reason they are priced higher is because they use superior materials with hardened bearing surfaces, and their tolerances are very good. If you can, try and go with the 6 pc. individual roller model. The ones divided into 3, are ok, but you get better performance and less wear with the 6 pc. model simply because each string can move freely independently and retract and stretch at their own rate without causing friction from/to the adjacent string. (Most obvious on the bass strings where the wind can bite into the roller with significant downward force like.)

anyways.....like I said, just my two cents. Just if price is a concern, thought I'd give you a little insight. Nothing worse than dropping hard earned money down on something and being dissatisfied.
    I think you'd like the LRS though.
    Best of the lot.
    Last edited by we die young; 09.27.12 at 03:32 PM.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I played a strat long ago that had a roller nut. Thought it was the greatest invention ever, didn't feel like it played better bug just the idea was cool
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I had one on my olp mm1 and it allowed me to not have a locking nut on the Floyd and it worked pretty well. Never had an issue.

Favorite VH Album

Each one has it's merits
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.09.14 @ 04:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks guys, think i'll just get the real LSR one. just need to figure out how to convince the wife i NEED that one rather than the cheap one at a 1/10th of the price lol

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have them on two Strats, my Beck which is my #1 Strat and a Strat Ultra. I totally love them and as stated with locking tuners it is as good as it gets on a Strat. Just one piece of advice that may be helpful. Oneday after playing all night I took my Beck out of the case and heard something hit the floor and when I looked one of the metal teeth that hold the ballberings was sticking straight out and I was on my knees for a half hour looking for a micro sized ballbering. I actually found it put it back in but it was shot as no matter what it would not stay in to the point that I trusted it. What was mind boggling was I had no idea how the hell it happened! So it cost me $70 dollars to replace it. A few weeks later after playing I was wiping down my strings with a cloth I felt it snag one of the metal teeth and that solved that. So just a piece of good advice keep your other hand over the nut when cleaning your strings. I had about 8 guys thank me after I posted this on the Fender forum some years ago as it must happen a lot lol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHLimey View Post
    thanks guys, think i'll just get the real LSR one. just need to figure out how to convince the wife i NEED that one rather than the cheap one at a 1/10th of the price lol
    No problem man!
    Just tell her when it come's to her man's nuts...Only the best will do!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Would she rather have a real diamond or CZ?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Let me know what they're selling for in the UK. I'll be glad to see what cost will be here with shipping if needed.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Would she rather have a real diamond or CZ?
    Lol. Brave man here.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Lol. Brave man here.
    Nah, not really. I just know that the total $ value in my hobbies might be 75% of the value of that one ring on that one finger of my wife. Add in getting the ears & neck to match & it's no contest.

That being said, she deserves every bit of it & more. I would like to buy her nice things more often. Goodness knows she's earned it over the last 21 years.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford