Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 11,769 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama Denounces Anti-Islam Film During U.N. Speech

President Barack Obama gave his highly-anticipated speech in front of the United Nations General Assembly this morning, posing a challenge to the international community that the roots of turmoil in the Middle East be confronted.

Considering recent events, Obama discussed the ongoing anti-American turmoil unfolding across the globe. In his speech, he declared that “there are no words that excuse the killing of innocent” and that there is “no video that justifies an attack on an embassy.”

After heralding democracy and prior to delving into the importance of free speech, Obama made it known that the anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims” is “an insult not only to Muslims, but to America as well.”

Despite speaking out against the film and reiterating that the government wasn’t involved in its production, the president took the time to defend the freedom of speech — even thoughts and ideas that are found to be offensive to some. Here’s s a portion of Obama’s defense of the First Amendment:

“Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day, and I will always defend their right to do

Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views — even views that we profoundly disagree with. We do so not because we support hateful speech, but because our founders understood that without such protections, the capacity of each individual to express their own views and practice their own faith may be threatened.

We do so because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can quickly become a tool to silence critics and oppress minorities. We do so because, given the power of faith in our lives, and the passion that religious differences can inflame, the strongest weapon against hateful speech is not repression, it is more speech — the voices of tolerance that rally against bigotry and blasphemy, and lift up the values of understanding and mutual respect.”

The president did take the time to lambaste those who decry insults against the Prophet Muhammad, but who ignore insults waged against Jesus Christ and other symbols of religious importance.

“The future must not belong to those who lander the prophet of Islam but to be credible those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated or churches destroyed or the Holocaust that is denied,” Obama proclaimed.

Obama also told the U.N. General Assembly that he wants to resolve the dispute over Iran’s nuclear program through diplomacy — but that the time to do that is not unlimited.

The president says that time after time, Iran has failed to demonstrate that its nuclear program is peaceful and has failed to meet its obligations to the United Nations. He also says the Iranian government has been propping up the dictatorship in Syria and supporting terrorist groups abroad.

The president says, quote, “the United States will do what we must to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.”

This is Obama’s final international address before the November elections — one that critics were playing close attention to. Former U.S. ambassador to the U.N., John Bolton, had some stinging words for the president on Fox News this morning. When asked to grade the speech, he gave it a C.

“It was like a great big warm fuzzy blanket. The president comes out in favor of tolerance. There’s your breaking news,” Bolton quipped. “The problem with the speech was that it was infused with the fallacy of moral equivalency — that there‘s sort of extremism and intolerance everywhere and it’s all the same.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obam...erica-as-well/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 11,769 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama: "Let us remember that Muslims have suffered the most at the hands of extremism

In a speech at the United Nations this morning, President Obama says the attacks on America across the Muslim world over the last two weeks are also an "assault on the very ideals upon which the United Nations was founded."

"The attacks on our civilians in Benghazi were attacks on America," Obama stated, according to a prepared transcript of his remarks. "We are grateful for the assistance we received from the Libyan government and the Libyan people. And there should be no doubt that we will be relentless in tracking down the killers and bringing them to justice. I also appreciate that in recent days, the leaders of other countries in the region – including Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen – have taken steps to secure our diplomatic facilities, and called for calm. So have religious authorities around the globe."

Then, President Obama broadened his argument, saying the United Nations was also under attack.

"But the attacks of the last two weeks are not simply an assault on America," said Obama. "They are also an assault on the very ideals upon which the United Nations was founded – the notion that people can resolve their differences peacefully; that diplomacy can take the place of war; and that in an interdependent world, all of us have a stake in working towards greater opportunity and security for our citizens."

Obama also made a broader case against extremism, saying, "Let us remember that Muslims have suffered the most at the hands of extremism."

A politics based only on anger –one based on dividing the world between us and them – not only sets back international cooperation, it ultimately undermines those who tolerate it. All of us have an interest in standing up to these forces. Let us remember that Muslims have suffered the most at the hands of extremism. On the same day our civilians were killed in Benghazi, a Turkish police officer was murdered in Istanbul only days before his wedding; more than ten Yemenis were killed in a car bomb in Sana’a; and several Afghan children were mourned by their parents just days after they were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.

And president Obama made the case that the world come together. "Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies, and that is the vision we will support," said Obama.

WTF?!
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I think most Jews would disagree with that.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

I'm no Obama fan, but the headline is a little bit misleading. It's not like that was the focus of the speech. In fact, it was more of a throw away line when the majority of the speech appears to have been about free speech and defending it.

But I don't think he should apologize for the film anyway--even with a throwaway line. The people protesting have never seen it. There's no need to. Call them out on their animalistic bullshit and don't give that behavior any type of legitimacy. When you act like an uneducated cromagnon, you should be treated like one.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

merging....2 threads opened 5 min apart referencing the same speech

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

Yeah, I think the Jews would strongly disagree with that statement.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I'm no Obama fan, but the headline is a little bit misleading. It's not like that was the focus of the speech. In fact, it was more of a throw away line when the majority of the speech appears to have been about free speech and defending it.

Call them out on their animalistic bullshit and don't give that behavior any type of legitimacy. When you act like an uneducated cromagnon, you should be treated like one.
    Ultimately he does if you watch the whole whole thing.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/0...nited-nations/

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The World Doesn’t Love the First Amendment
    The vile anti-Muslim video shows that the U.S. overvalues free speech.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_speech_.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Great article voivod^^^^^

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

It's a good article, but if it comes down to free speech, I would rather err on the side of too much versus too little.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The World Doesn’t Love the First Amendment
    The vile anti-Muslim video shows that the U.S. overvalues free speech.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_speech_.html
    Great Article
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Only thing I agree with in the article is that there are some peoples/countries that are unable to comprehend the ideals behind personal freedoms.

Free speech must yield to the need for order. ???

Who wrote that? Stalin? Lenin? Goebbels? Don't you see a bit of a bad precedent being set there?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Great speech

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Only thing I agree with in the article is that there are some peoples/countries that are unable to comprehend the ideals behind personal freedoms.

Free speech must yield to the need for order. ???

Who wrote that? Stalin? Lenin? Goebbels? Don't you see a bit of a bad precedent being set there?
    free speech already does yield in the need for order, just a question on where you want to set the line.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Exactly. And the fly in the buttermilk is, who gets to set these limits/boundaries? Taken by itself, that sentence could justify any action by the government. That's what I was getting at. Everyone seems to be climaxing all over themselves due to that article. Just don't see it myself.

Btw, no defender of Mr. O., but aside from a couple of throwaways probably directed at pleasing everybody, thought his speech was pretty good. "We"re Americans and we kinda dig free speech". (my interpretation)
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA